Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It is the ugliest city I have ever been to. Dallas is like the McMansion of cities. From the outside it looks awkward and gawdy and violates every law of good aesthetic taste, but inside there is a ton of square footage and they hired a kick ass interior decorator who really did some cool things with some of the rooms.

It's not just that North Texas isn't pretty, prairie can be pretty (not stunning, but pretty) but the way things are built here do not compliment the prairie.
I actually kinda agree with that, somewhat. I think prairies are generally beautiful. I find Iowa to be a very pleasant state to drive through, very green, relatively flat but with enough rolling hills, lots of beautiful farmland. North Texas may not be as lush as Iowa but you can still get the prairie aesthetics, but the area from Denton to Dallas on I-35E really does not take advantage of the natural scenery. It's just highway bridges that go through suburban cities until you reach Dallas. The only thing worth seeing is Lewisville Lake. (Also, all but one of Texas' lakes are man-made so it's not as authentic when you drive by a lake.) I prefer driving on I-35W to Forth Worth because you actually see some countryside and farms. Taking 380 towards Decatur is also a pretty drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 PM

439 posts, read 437,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was under the impression that Dallas was the best city in Texas that combines some elements of scenery of Austin and the big city of Houston. I thought Dallas had some small rolling hills and wasn't totally flat and there was access to many lakes a short drive out. Is this not the case? I thought it was a good choice for those that can't choose between Austin and Houston.
The hill country begins west of Fort Worth. It has been reported that there is a 200 foot tall cliff in southeast Dallas. Lakes within the basin (think of a large bowl) containing Dallas and Fort Worth are many times stacked on top of each other to the extent that water from one dam enters into into the mouth of another lake. Joe Poole Lake empties into Mountain Creek Lake for example. Mountain Creek then empties into the Trinity River. This phenomena is undeniable proof that North Texas is not flat. Look at a map.

There are many pretty areas surrounding the North Texas area as well. Possum Kingdom has long been one such paradise surrounded by pretty little mountains. Where land steps up to the Great Plains in Texas, it is also mountainous. Not mountains. The difference can be seen from a car. When approaching parts of the Great Plains, they look like mountains. After climbing up what looks like a mountain, they disappear behind you as one has stepped up to flat land.

Hot Springs Arkansas is located within the Ozark mountains and are located the same distance from Dallas as Houston. Just north of Lawton Oklahoma are the Ouichita mountains just across the border of Texas and just north of Witchita Falls.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 10-05-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
The hill country begins west of Fort Worth. It has been reported that there is a 200 foot tall cliff in southeast Dallas. Lakes within the basin (think of a large bowl) containing Dallas and Fort Worth are many times stacked on top of each other to the extent that water from one dam enters into into the mouth of another lake. Joe Poole Lake empties into Mountain Creek Lake for example. Mountain Creek then empties into the Trinity River. This phenomena is undeniable proof that North Texas is not flat. Look at a map.

There are many pretty areas surrounding the North Texas area as well. Possum Kingdom has long been one such paradise surrounded by pretty little mountains. Where land steps up to the Great Plains in Texas, it is also mountainous. Not mountains. The difference can be seen from a car. When approaching parts of the Great Plains, they look like mountains. After climbing up what looks like a mountain, they disappear behind you as one has stepped up to flat land.

Hot Springs Arkansas is located within the Ozark mountains and are located the same distance from Dallas as Houston. Just north of Lawton Oklahoma are the Ouichita mountains just across the border of Texas and just north of Witchita Falls.
Points of geographical order:

1. The Ozarks end a good bit north of Hot Springs. Hot Springs both the city and the National Park are in the Ouachitas, I think Choctaw Indians pronounce it sort-of like Oh-Wa-cheetah and other locals pronounce it Wash-it-ah. The Ozarks + The Quachitas form the US Interior Highlands.

1.1. Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma is in the Ouachitas as well.

2. The mountains north of Wichita Falls are the Wichita Mountains.

3. The mountains just north of here on I35 in Oklahoma are the Arbuckles.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
If you look at historical photos of Dallas you'll see lots of buildings that had a lot more character than what is in Dallas now. I wish the city had preserved more of its history like Fort Worth did.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 AM

990 posts, read 2,304,209 times
nobody talks about the great restorations in Dallas, though.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:19 AM

439 posts, read 437,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Points of geographical order:

1. The Ozarks end a good bit north of Hot Springs. Hot Springs both the city and the National Park are in the Ouachitas, I think Choctaw Indians pronounce it sort-of like Oh-Wa-cheetah and other locals pronounce it Wash-it-ah. The Ozarks + The Quachitas form the US Interior Highlands.

1.1. Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma is in the Ouachitas as well.

2. The mountains north of Wichita Falls are the Wichita Mountains.

3. The mountains just north of here on I35 in Oklahoma are the Arbuckles.
The point being that North Texas has lots of hills and mountains located in fairly close proximity in many directions. Are the Arbuckles located in the vicinity of Turner Falls? That area too is thought to be a paradise. At a truck stop on the way to Lawton, Oklahoma is a cool prairie dog farm exhibit. From Lawton, one can see a fairly large mountain rising in the distance. Of course, there is also the Palo Pinto Canyon about a seven mile drive away. To the east of Dallas is a huge salt mine in Grand Saline. Of geological also is the high grade concrete found and made around the North Texas region. There is also the mystery of the rock wall found in Rockwall.
To the east of Mineral Wells is a fifty foot granite wall within Mineral Wells state park said to be a popular place for climbers the world over to visit and practice climbing.
The nation grasslands too are interesting. The grass isn't like the kind one mows. It is very tall and thick.
On the way to Houston just south of Huntsville is a statue of one the biggest honkies you will ever lay eyes on.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 AM

12 posts, read 21,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
How come the dfw area gets bashed so much here on city data ? It seems dfw area loses to just about any other city/metro here on city data ? Is it really that bad ?
Obviously, I can't speak for others but I know my group of friends and I are here primarily for jobs (This is a good place to be for my industry). I didn't think I would mind it at first, but Texas is definitely not for me. In no particular order, a list of some of the things I don't like about this area:

Super conservatism - I can't count the number of times where someone, out of nowhere, just starts going in on Obama. Its weird; never experienced this so much in the other cities Ive lived and they were all in the south. And Im black, so I probably don't share your apparent outrage at everything Obama does; not sure why some people seem to be filled with so much hate just because they disagree with their philosophies (or at least thats what they will claim). I didn't agree with a lot of Bush policies but I can't say that I hate him; Ive never even met him! lol

Super family-focused - It seems like most people here are either trying to start a family or got married at a very young age. Its so bizarre to me that so many young people are in a rush for added responsibility and potentially missing out on some opportunities that are afforded to young, single professionals.

Super Religious - So many times you are asked "what church do you go to?" and other religious questions at work, which make me a bit uneasy.

Driving - OMG! This has to be some of the worst driving I have ever encountered in my life. I commute back and forth between Dallas and Ft. Worth and I genuinely fear for my well being sometimes. I-30 seems like some sort of obstacle course between all the random trash, never-ending construction, and insane, no-turn-signal- using drivers who like to make last minute lane changes across 3 - 4 lanes.

Racism - So, Im not one to really pull the race card but it was definitely an issue in Ft. Worth. Its one of the main reasons I live in Dallas now. One positive is that I haven't had any issues in Dallas so far and, ironically, I don't really have to dress up to get into places like I did when I was in Ft. Worth.

Scenery - I hate the scenery here! its so blah!

Weather - Absolutely horrible! Its like you get the worst of everything-not only does it get super hot in the summer and cold in the winter (I remember the ice debacle from a couple of years ago), but you have tornadoes and hail for good measure.

Full disclosure: most of this is about Ft. Worth (except for the horrible driving which is rampant across the DFW metro, horrible scenery, and horrible weather).

So, yea, I would definitely rather be in LA, NYC, or CHI. According to friends, I would like these areas a lot better and they are obviously a lot more liberal (even though, I wouldn't classify myself as liberal per se). Many of them are currently trying to get back to the west coast; they say they made a horrible mistake in leaving. Anyway, this all obviously from my perspective and experience but I can easily see why others would bash this place.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Yeah, yeah, the typical list of complaints again by disillusioned transplants. There's always a tinge of moral superiority I sense in those posts because they feel as though they need to even out the perceived Texas pride with harsh criticism of the culture. It's always filled with personal insecurities and disdain for the people and culture too.

Also how can one not know about the weather and terrain before moving? You think I wouldn't know about California being hilly and sunny before moving? Most of the time I gather that people who write stuff like the post above are hard to please and are incapable of finding peace anywhere. How can one not find their niche in a big city? Why do they need a city like NYC or LA to define their happiness? I just think that these types of transplants are wandering souls who hear about the next city that's hot and move there in the hopes that it's heaven on earth and the minute they're disappointed, they want to move on and blame the area for not fitting their standards. I could understand if it was about the lack of job opportunities, COL, being far from family something practical but it's usually always these highly personal overly emotional things and disdain for the Texas people/culture. That and the scenery. Always with the scenery.

I'm glad though that many aren't moping around complaining to others and have decided to move on and the media hype about Texas is over so it will slow down the influx of more people who will just be disillusioned anyways.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yeah, yeah, the typical list of complaints again by disillusioned transplants. There's always a tinge of moral superiority I sense in those posts because they feel as though they need to even out the perceived Texas pride with harsh criticism of the culture. It's always filled with personal insecurities and disdain for the people and culture too.

Also how can one not know about the weather and terrain before moving? You think I wouldn't know about California being hilly and sunny before moving? Most of the time I gather that people who write stuff like the post above are hard to please and are incapable of finding peace anywhere. How can one not find their niche in a big city? Why do they need a city like NYC or LA to define their happiness? I just think that these types of transplants are wandering souls who hear about the next city that's hot and move there in the hopes that it's heaven on earth and the minute they're disappointed, they want to move on and blame the area for not fitting their standards. I could understand if it was about the lack of job opportunities, COL, being far from family something practical but it's usually always these highly personal overly emotional things and disdain for the Texas people/culture. That and the scenery. Always with the scenery.

I'm glad though that many aren't moping around complaining to others and have decided to move on and the media hype about Texas is over so it will slow down the influx of more people who will just be disillusioned anyways.
Lot of truth in this.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,595 times
We don't have to be so harsh. The person just gave their honest perspective, like asked.

Though, I did have a few nitpicks. This is acknowledging the fact that your experiences are mostly in the Fort Worth side while mine is on the Dallas side. Also, you are 100% correct about traffic.

1). I wouldn't say this is them being super-conservative. I'm, according to some Americans I met, a liberal and get along fine here, but that's besides the point. I hear just as many people here, in the suburbs of Dallas not the liberal core, rant on about Bush and Trump as I do see people rant about Obama. In fact, most people I know who rant about Obama also rant about Bush.

2) I think one major difference between California and Texas is how freedom of religion is interpreted. In California, you can be of any faith, or nonfaith, but it is looked down upon to talk about. In Texas, you can be of any faith, or nonfaith, and it is expected, almost encouraged, for people to share their beliefs. Speaking as a non-Christian of different faith. Although I do go to church because I enjoy the accepting/loving environment

3) Maybe this is an Asian American thing, but I faced so much more racism in California and Seattle than in Dallas that it isn't even a comparison. I know a lot of Asian Americans who have moved here from the West Coast and they seem to agree with me.

4) Personally, I hate Dallas weather, but it is miles ahead of California. The sun is always out and it hardly rains, much less storm. Though, to be fair, Seattle has the closest thing to ideal weather for me, among major cities, and it is on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas