Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,595 times

Advertisements

Economics and efficiency doesn't factor into sprawl. Cities sprawl, at least in DFW, for the purpose of QOL, not for economic reasons (well, at least not until relatively recently with how competitive parts of the market has become). Efficiency is important for the economy, but the economy is not a be all end all, rather another measure of QOL, which, in my opinion, is what people are going after, not larger numbers on a report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 PM

439 posts, read 437,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I could CARE LESS about suburbanites trying to pass Downtown Dallas. I'm sorry, but you don't live in the city so you're opinion isn't very valid at all. Unless you're a downtown business stakeholder or resident, your opinion is meaningless.

Dallas isn't wanting to become dense just for looks, it's for practical and economic reasons. Those are the GOOD reasons. You can't seem to grasp it because your tunnel vision can't see that.... And yes I do care about the health of this city. It needs revenue. What happened to local control? I don't gripe about transportation in Plano because that's not my community so my opinion there would be meaningless.
Why not reproduce the success of Uptown? Just bury the freeway below grade under enough streets to connect downtown to Deep Ellum. Leave the freeway though. The state of Texas isn't going to allow the people from downtown to pick on the suburbanites. So compromise.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
#6 was the best, but I enjoyed your whole comment.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Why not reproduce the success of Uptown? Just bury the freeway below grade under enough streets to connect downtown to Deep Ellum. Leave the freeway though. The state of Texas isn't going to allow the people from downtown to pick on the suburbanites. So compromise.
That makes no sense. Woodall is an almost brand new connector carved into the north side of DT in the 70s to take the load off I-30, and had the benefit of a tabula rasa.

"Uptown"--Lower Oak Lawn/McKinney/State-Thomas--transformed into that de facto extension of downtown only with validation by the new Federal Reserve Bank bldg. and Perot's Victory development.

Deep Ellum is a funkytown in the other direction from Dallas's high end growth provenance. It has no reason to go there. And bridges for bridges' sake never stopped opposing side activity--or even underside activity in the case of DUMBO--anywhere in the country.

Nobody's preventing you from walking under the 75 connector to go to hipsterville.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:30 PM

371 posts, read 625,248 times
Nobody's preventing you, huh? I guess you never noticed the aggressive drivers who make the area extremely hostile to pedestrians.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:06 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Economics and efficiency doesn't factor into sprawl. Cities sprawl, at least in DFW, for the purpose of QOL, not for economic reasons (well, at least not until relatively recently with how competitive parts of the market has become). Efficiency is important for the economy, but the economy is not a be all end all, rather another measure of QOL, which, in my opinion, is what people are going after, not larger numbers on a report.
Many people are choosing to live in the downtown area of Dallas for QOL reasons as well as practicality (e.g. close proximity to work, job opportunities, car-free living, etc). The fact remains that there is a high demand for urban, dense living in central Dallas and the planning for it is different than that of the more car-centric, suburban sprawl portions of the city.

With that said, the transportation planning for a place like Frisco is much different than that for Downtown/Uptown Dallas. You have 2 completely different styles of living as well as job sectors, so a one-shoe-size fits all approach would be very short-sighted. I think it's great that TxDOT has recognized this and has produced this CityMAP showcasing all available options in and around DT Dallas and weighing the pros and cons of each.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Many people are choosing to live in the downtown area of Dallas for QOL reasons as well as practicality (e.g. close proximity to work, job opportunities, car-free living, etc). The fact remains that there is a high demand for urban, dense living in central Dallas and the planning for it is different than that of the more car-centric, suburban sprawl portions of the city.

With that said, the transportation planning for a place like Frisco is much different than that for Downtown/Uptown Dallas. You have 2 completely different styles of living as well as job sectors, so a one-shoe-size fits all approach would be very short-sighted. I think it's great that TxDOT has recognized this and has produced this CityMAP showcasing all available options in and around DT Dallas and weighing the pros and cons of each.
Counterculture funk has grit. Grit has bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas