Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM

242 posts, read 432,930 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Milwaukee and also lived in L.A., San Francisco, and Minneapolis for many years. I also work in Irving and live in Flower Mound. On a typical day my commute is about 45 minutes given traffic. If I leave very early or very late in the morning my commute is 30 minutes. Commute home is an hour. Also, the weather isn't all that bad since the humidity is so low. Yes, 100+ is never fun but it's not that bad as long as you don't sit directly in the sun. Life down here is nice, although I do very much miss family, friends, and the landscape of the Midwest. You will also find a ton of transplants down here given the growth rate of the state (and city). Unfortunately, this also includes Bears fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
Grew up in Milwaukee and also lived in L.A., San Francisco, and Minneapolis for many years. I also work in Irving and live in Flower Mound. On a typical day my commute is about 45 minutes given traffic. If I leave very early or very late in the morning my commute is 30 minutes. Commute home is an hour. Also, the weather isn't all that bad since the humidity is so low. Yes, 100+ is never fun but it's not that bad as long as you don't sit directly in the sun. Life down here is nice, although I do very much miss family, friends, and the landscape of the Midwest. You will also find a ton of transplants down here given the growth rate of the state (and city). Unfortunately, this also includes Bears fans
Oh dear God, even Cheeseheads are moving here! Now you KNOW the quality of life will be declining.

(And from the other side, a childhood friend of mine who moved from the Chicago area to Milwaukee told this joke: "Do you know the difference between a Cheesehead and a [Poop]head? The Wisconsin-Illinois border!" [It's NOT FUNNY!!! NO IT'S NOT! WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE! ])

Old 07-17-2017, 05:33 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Oh dear God, even Cheeseheads are moving here! Now you KNOW the quality of life will be declining.

(And from the other side, a childhood friend of mine who moved from the Chicago area to Milwaukee told this joke: "Do you know the difference between a Cheesehead and a [Poop]head? The Wisconsin-Illinois border!" [It's NOT FUNNY!!! NO IT'S NOT! WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE! ])
There has been an exodus, accelerated in the past few decades, from the neighboring states and downstate IL to Chicagoland. Nick Viall, the recent Bachelor on the ABC TV show, is from Milwaukee and moved to Chicago. Understandably, he left for L.A. after the show, now that he's a star, to pursue Hollywood fame.

Of course the Wisconsin Dells is still a favorite weekend destination for Chicagoans in the North and Northwest Suburbs. Nothing comparable exists in Texas (anymore) though (San Antonio is now a small city).

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
There has been an exodus, accelerated in the past few decades, from the neighboring states and downstate IL to Chicagoland. Nick Viall, the recent Bachelor on the ABC TV show, is from Milwaukee and moved to Chicago. Understandably, he left for L.A. after the show, now that he's a star, to pursue Hollywood fame.

Of course the Wisconsin Dells is still a favorite weekend destination for Chicagoans in the North and Northwest Suburbs. Nothing comparable exists in Texas (anymore) though (San Antonio is now a small city).
Funny as Chicago's population has been in near constant decline since 1990. Chicago's population zenith was in around 1950.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Funny as Chicago's population has been in near constant decline since 1990. Chicago's population zenith was in around 1950.
As he says "Chicagoland", I'm sure he's referring to the Chicago metro area, not just the city itself.

Although not growing nearly as fast as the Metroplex, Chicagoland as a whole has grown from a population of just over 8 million in 1990 to just under 9.5 million in 2010. (It was only about 5.5 million in 1950)

The city itself, as you note, has been declining in population, at about 2.7 million in 2010, down from a peak of about 3.6 million in 1950. The city was at about 2.8 million in 1990, then up to almost 2.9 in 2000 before dropping off last decade.

I'm nervous about the Cheesehead influx. I have found myself behind pickup trucks with the familiar green and gold bumper stickers, and wondered what horrors they will visit upon the population here. Deep fried unidentifiable "fish" on Fridays? Bratwursts? THOSE DARN WEDGE HATS?! SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!

(OK, this may all be a reaction to my upcoming trip to Milwaukee...)

ETA - also, did you know that, contrary to what most people think, singer Paul Simon is actually from Wisconsin? How do I know this? Because he once sang "oh, I don't know a sole that's not been battered..."

Old 07-17-2017, 06:21 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
As he says "Chicagoland", I'm sure he's referring to the Chicago metro area, not just the city itself.

Although not growing nearly as fast as the Metroplex, Chicagoland as a whole has grown from a population of just over 8 million in 1990 to just under 9.5 million in 2010. (It was only about 5.5 million in 1950)

The city itself, as you note, has been declining in population, at about 2.7 million in 2010, down from a peak of about 3.6 million in 1950. The city was at about 2.8 million in 1990, then up to almost 2.9 in 2000 before dropping off last decade.

I'm nervous about the Cheesehead influx. I have found myself behind pickup trucks with the familiar green and gold bumper stickers, and wondered what horrors they will visit upon the population here. Deep fried unidentifiable "fish" on Fridays? Bratwursts? THOSE DARN WEDGE HATS?! SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!

(OK, this may all be a reaction to my upcoming trip to Milwaukee...)

ETA - also, did you know that, contrary to what most people think, singer Paul Simon is actually from Wisconsin? How do I know this? Because he once sang "oh, I don't know a sole that's not been battered..."
Speaking of Cheeseheads:

(Fried) Cheese curds. J.J. Watt made a Downtown Pearland restaurant (run by a fellow Wisconsinite transplant) famous on his Instagram when he was craving something familiar from a 1,000 miles away.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM

22 posts, read 39,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
No matter what time you're going to work, you're still driving 60ish miles and paying $10ish in tolls round trip.
https://www.txtag.org/en/tollCalc/site.html

This site gives $0.48 (see attached) for drive between frisco and Irving. You mentioned its $10 RT, what am I missing? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Coppell or Frisco from Chicago.-toll.jpg  

Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post

This site gives $0.48 (see attached) for drive between frisco and Irving. You mentioned its $10 RT, what am I missing? thanks.
Go to ntta.org for toll information ( I used https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tollta...ators_2017.pdf). There are multiple different ways you can get there and it really depends on where you are in Irving. You can take DNT down to 635, or DNT to George Bush, etc.

Anyway, I picked the Main St. entrance on DNT as a starting point in Frisco and then had you exit George Bush. That is $1.85. Once you are on George Bush, I had you stay on there until 183. That is $2.80. So it's $4.65 one way.

ETA: The map you listed is hard to read but it looks like it has you take 35. What toll road did it have you take? It says you are only on it for a few miles. Because getting to 35 without taking a toll road will take a while. It's the whole time versus money argument. Which do you like more?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post

I'm not the poster you're replying to, but I have no clue what route that map is trying to show from Frisco to Irving (what's up with the giant line down to Waco?) The interactive tool doesn't seem to work well.

The most direct (and fastest) routes from most parts of Frisco to most parts of Irving involve taking the Dallas North Tollway (DNT) and/or the Bush Turnpike. Both of these are toll roads.

If you look at the NTTA website and rates https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tollta...ators_2017.pdf, rather than the TXtag website, you can find the toll rates from various points. Sadly, I'm not finding an easy to use toll calculator. It's $1 one way from Legacy to the Bush toll road, and then going on the Bush to Macarthur is another $2.23 one way. So that's $3.23 each way for that. Not $10 round trip, but $6.46. That's ~$130/month if you're driving every day.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM

454 posts, read 763,313 times
Move to Coppell if you can-it's a great place to live, and being closer to the airport is convenient. All the schools are great, teachers very competent.

We (I've lived here 25 yrs. from NY-3 kids) have just done a complete renovation of our main parks (Andy Brown East especially) and they are more lovely than I have ever seen anywhere. Coppell spared no expense in building several huge brick-and-stone shade pavilions, new ball fields, stone patios overlooking the three lakes which have been connected by waterways, arched brick bridges over said waterways. I have not seen anything like it anywhere, and I am a total crab when it comes to liking feeble attempts at outdoor hardscape/landscaping. If you like lovely parks you would love it here.

Oh yeah, there's a good pizza place nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas