Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Newark's offer of $7 billion in incentives is insane (I think?). Is the next largest number the $400 million from Chula Vista? How do you turn down $6.6 billion in financials?
Have you ever been to Newark? That's how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM

130 posts, read 153,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Have you ever been to Newark? That's how.
LOL, when I first arrived in the US a good 25 years ago... that was at EWR. Before I made my way to New Brunswick/ Rutgers, I remember being WOWed by all the skyscrapers and the skyline. Then I found out... it was actually NYC, a different city and state altogether! Only other times I heard of Newark was when they were leading the national crime statistics and mayor Cory Booker being the next Obama.

I wonder where will they get that kind of absurd amount of money?? Sounds similar to the Texas Rangers signing A-Rod for quarter of a billion.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhakaia View Post
LOL, when I first arrived in the US a good 25 years ago... that was at EWR. Before I made my way to New Brunswick/ Rutgers, I remember being WOWed by all the skyscrapers and the skyline. Then I found out... it was actually NYC, a different city and state altogether! Only other times I heard of Newark was when they were leading the national crime statistics and mayor Cory Booker being the next Obama.

I wonder where will they get that kind of absurd amount of money?? Sounds similar to the Texas Rangers signing A-Rod for quarter of a billion.
I like Newark more than my joke implies. A good friend is a professor at Seton Hall and loves it and downtown is better/nicer than many might expect. Some of the best eating anywhere is the Portugese food in the Iron Bound district. But like you said many areas are strictly bad news. I’d had a flat one time on Wheeler Point Dr. (Street maybe) in broad day light I saw a guy rig himself and shoot up smack and a couple of minutes later two other guys got into a wicked street fight and lots of other people were just hanging out.

I’m guessing their “deal” is billions of future tax and other breaks and some cash.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM

341 posts, read 1,019,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Agree with all of your candidates except one. I have seen SLC mentioned a couple of times and that is just not going to happen.
I think Salt Lake City is a real sleeper here, I really do. And listen, those Mormon folks have gotten reasonably progressive lately and I know that sounds pretty oxymoronic.
Of course SLC has already become a bigtime tech center in recent years and the cost of living there is manageable even with the strong economy they've had in recent years.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think Salt Lake City is a real sleeper here, I really do. And listen, those Mormon folks have gotten reasonably progressive lately and I know that sounds pretty oxymoronic.
Of course SLC has already become a bigtime tech center in recent years and the cost of living there is manageable even with the strong economy they've had in recent years.
I'm just not sure if they have a big enough airport. Not sure what the air traffic from SLC is like but daily direct flights to Seattle, NYC, and DC seemed like they were definite requirements for Amazon. The airport thing is also one of the bigger problems for Austin and some other smaller dark horses like Pittsburgh, IMO. And why places like DFW/ATL/CHI may have a leg up since they are hubs for the major airlines. But who knows.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I'm just not sure if they have a big enough airport.
Maybe not, but it's in the works: Salt Lake City International Airport Redevelopment.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I liked the DFW video more than I thought I would.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
I'm just not sure if they have a big enough airport. Not sure what the air traffic from SLC is like but daily direct flights to Seattle, NYC, and DC seemed like they were definite requirements for Amazon. The airport thing is also one of the bigger problems for Austin and some other smaller dark horses like Pittsburgh, IMO. And why places like DFW/ATL/CHI may have a leg up since they are hubs for the major airlines. But who knows.
It's not bad. After visiting SLC last year, I was wowed. That cost of living + proximity to mountains + decent size city is hard to beat.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM

194 posts, read 156,338 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mmJv4jGm7k

Last edited by Alewife; 10-19-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I don't know why cities are saying how much they're offering. The Dallas Regional Chamber is keeping it under wraps, as they should at this point. Maybe other states have laws requiring the amount be publicized. I dunno.

Today's the deadline for bids, and the chamber has released a video pitch for DFW as part of our bid. I like it! (Note: the link or youtube is currently down.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2qtQ4OS2k
They did a really good job on the Video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas