Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Because it’s a Fort Worth suburb it’s considered off limits? HEB to downtown Dallas is 30 minutes compared to McKinney another place a person recommended being 50 minutes away from downtown Dallas.
I said McKinney because for an upper middle class suburb, it's very diverse. I also said that they needed to state where their job was, because the commute could be brutal.

HEB I would not define as upper middle class, maybe a few small pockets, but overall certainly not upper middle class. Bedford has the highest average household income of the three, and it's $60k. That's nowhere close to upper middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Because it’s a Fort Worth suburb it’s considered off limits? HEB to downtown Dallas is 30 minutes compared to McKinney another place a person recommended being 50 minutes away from downtown Dallas.
Agree with you that McKinney is a long commute to downtown Dallas; I wouldn’t recommend it either.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Agree with you that McKinney is a long commute to downtown Dallas; I wouldn’t recommend it either.
Yeah; PH, Park Cities, or NOC are all manageable commutes to downtown Dallas. McKinney? Please.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Look at Lakewood.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:48 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah; PH, Park Cities, or NOC are all manageable commutes to downtown Dallas. McKinney? Please.
And I believe NOC and Las Colinas are about the same commute time — just opposite directions

Old 12-16-2017, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,742 times
First, thanks for all of the suggestions. I work from home. My husband works in downtown Dallas. Prior to moving here, we were set on M street or a condo downtown. Then we started thinking about a more traditional neighborhood and a home with space for our children. His coworkers suggested UP, HP, and PH. The reality is our kids are probably not coming back home to live for an extended period of time. So with just the two of us, we really don't need 4-6,000 sq ft. You have given so many great suggestions and food for thought. I think we are going to check out Lakewood, M Street, and Kessler Park. We will still look in PH, too. I guess in the end the most important factor is getting a return for our investment. Also, I should make it clear that I don't need to live around any one specific type of people. I just don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted. It's more important for me to live around interesting people who are open, accepting, and culturally diverse. If we can find other foodies who love to travel, than that would be even better.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
And I believe NOC and Las Colinas are about the same commute time — just opposite directions

I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT68 View Post
First, thanks for all of the suggestions. I work from home. My husband works in downtown Dallas. Prior to moving here, we were set on M street or a condo downtown. Then we started thinking about a more traditional neighborhood and a home with space for our children. His coworkers suggested UP, HP, and PH. The reality is our kids are probably not coming back home to live for an extended period of time. So with just the two of us, we really don't need 4-6,000 sq ft. You have given so many great suggestions and food for thought. I think we are going to check out Lakewood, M Street, and Kessler Park. We will still look in PH, too. I guess in the end the most important factor is getting a return for our investment. Also, I should make it clear that I don't need to live around any one specific type of people. I just don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted. It's more important for me to live around interesting people who are open, accepting, and culturally diverse. If we can find other foodies who love to travel, than that would be even better.
You can still buy smaller homes in PH (2k-3k sq ft range); check out Melshire Estates. Word of warning, though; any affluent neighborhood in Dallas is a target for teardowns, meaning that the nice normal house next door may be torn down at any moment and a 6k sq ft ersatz Tuscan villa or imitation Frank Lloyd Wright box will spring up in its place. Any of the areas (PH, UP, HP, Lakewood, NOC) will give you a tidy ROI. Realtors here can chime in on what area is best for that.

Given what you've stated your preferences are, you might like Lakewood best. That's not to say you wouldn't be welcome in PH. PH is funny...if you can afford to live there, you're welcome. It's all about money there. Full disclosure: I'm a Preston Hollow native.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 PM

817 posts, read 923,099 times
As empty nesters, you will find that some guest space for relatives at holidays is useful. .

Old 12-19-2017, 07:22 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
W Plano is diverse. My side of the street one block is made up of two black families, two from Mexico City, one from Istanbul, two families from Texas. Across the street are 7 homes too with three asian families, one Indian family and mixed familes as well. We look out for each other and socialize some thanks to an older mixed family (Mexico City MD and Stock trader from Istanbul) who have a huge house and like to entertain...

I would not recommend the commute to DT however......just didnt want future readers to be mislead by some generic comments.

Welcome to DFW and hope you find the right spot for you

Old 12-19-2017, 08:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
I'm a black guy new to Dallas in last couple years and work in the booming legacy corridor. Richardson could also work for the OP. some really nice neighborhoods and plenty of amenities and very centrally located. Las Colinas is a good choice. Lakewood or Lake Highlands. Kessler Park. The Colony/Austin Ranch is nice as well but a bit far.

HEB is a nice area but is isolated as compared to McKinney which is also far but the development to McKinney is nearly constant. Allen is a juggernaut suburb also.

DFW is benefiting from being at the right place at the right time, and warm climate. And newbies from varying walks of life and cultures who are climbing the ladder and prosperous will help this area to become even more cosmopolitan and diverse.

*Sidenote* The Dallas city leaders are going to need to find a way to close the gaps on the southern side of the city. Decades of neglect are not going to help anyone in the long run. Can only build north into Oklahoma but for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas