Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Your feelings are understandable and altogether reasonable, but Richardson (or something else on the near north side of 635) is in my view the optimal location. Commutes from Plano and Frisco are doable, while the "inside-the-loop" types can also have a reasonable commute. Location, location, location. Richardson is centrally located.

Aside from the transit situation, the Valley View Mall site would make a ton of sense.
I can't help but think that Amazon would turn its nose up at Richardson or "Midtown", as they're trying to re-brand the Valley View Mall site.

There's what makes sense and there's what Amazon would actually do...and my guess is they'd want to be up in Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's what makes sense and there's what Amazon would actually do...and my guess is they'd want to be up in Frisco.
I thought they wanted access to public transportation? That's a looong way off (if ever) for Frisco.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I thought they wanted access to public transportation? That's a looong way off (if ever) for Frisco.
Dammit, you're right.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM

380 posts, read 368,136 times
Think in terms of diversity. This is a second HQ, fully equal to the first. Perhaps they want a city that offers an alternative to Seattle, in terms of cost and lifestyle. One that perhaps will help them attract employees that don't want to live the expensive, hipster life. Dallas becomes more attractive when you think of it this way.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM

80 posts, read 109,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Thanks for summing up my point. Some actually went as far as quoting the number of miles from Amazon HQ1 to specific uni’s, will the candidates be walking then? Lol

Every single graduate from every school will not apply to amazon, of those that do, only some will qualify or be affordable. To staff that many positions you need a lot of candidates and more behind those initial hires, every year. For reference of what i mean by a lot, see the populations of graduates from areas close-in to say New York, for instance. Candidates from Philly, NY, Boston, DC, and Pittsburgh could all apply to a NY location with the ease of locals.

Compare those numbers with eligible local or close to local candidates to a Dallas or Austin location. Difficult to say the least.

One could say those cities are full etc etc etc, but they are full for a reason and those reasons make competing with their sheer mass of talent, very difficult.

Toronto isn’t far from the east coast talent pool...the situation there would be the same with the added advantage of not having the H1B issues that are present south of the border. I’d be interested in seeing whether Dallas makes it to the short short list and if it does, at what cost/concessions.
Exactly this. I read an article the other day that stated that if they wanted to keep payroll costs (which is usually a company's highest expense) in check, they'll go with Toronto. Costs to do payroll there are upwards of half what it would cost to do it in Dallas, Atlanta, or DC.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:57 PM

207 posts, read 206,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoofi View Post
Exactly this. I read an article the other day that stated that if they wanted to keep payroll costs (which is usually a company's highest expense) in check, they'll go with Toronto. Costs to do payroll there are upwards of half what it would cost to do it in Dallas, Atlanta, or DC.
Does anybody know when amazon is going to finalize location of hq2?

Old 01-22-2018, 02:05 PM

380 posts, read 368,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinesotaUser1 View Post
If anyone knows, it has not been made public.

Last edited by Aggielina; 01-22-2018 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinesotaUser1 View Post
I thought I read the decision would come later this year.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
I still don't think Dallas will get the nod. If only because Dallas doesn't *need* Amazon and has little incentive to fight as hard for it as other locations might. Compared to DC, which *needs* (desperately) a major private employer that isn't simply "the feds with a layer or two of paperwork in between," and otherwise fits the bill handily. DC will fight tooth and nail for this in a way we won't bother to, because to DFW's economy it'll be "eh, shrug."

Old 01-22-2018, 03:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
I still don't think Dallas will get the nod. If only because Dallas doesn't *need* Amazon and has little incentive to fight as hard for it as other locations might. Compared to DC, which *needs* (desperately) a major private employer that isn't simply "the feds with a layer or two of paperwork in between," and otherwise fits the bill handily. DC will fight tooth and nail for this in a way we won't bother to, because to DFW's economy it'll be "eh, shrug."
If DFW doesn't "need" corporate relos, then we sure are wasting a lot of money subsidizing them to move here. I actually don't know how DC (the district itself) can really win, given height restrictions and such within the city, but they've got a bid put together so clearly there is some way it could work. Seems like the space they'd need would be hard to cobble together, and I'm not talking about cost - just the logistics of it. I also love seeing comments here about how they'll put it in somewhere like Frisco or Plano because it's cheaper for their employees. This is a strategic move for Amazon - not a cost cutting move. They certainly don't care about locating somewhere just so their potential employees can buy a 4000 square foot house for a relatively lower amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas