Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
The kids I know who went to South Grand Prairie tracked high got better educations and were CLEARLY better-educated than a number of kids I also knew who had gone to quite pricy private schools in the area. Is it possible that was anecdata? Sure. But SAT performance isn't the end-all/be-all of "got a good education." (Fortunately, as an Irving native whose local schools are, well, no nice way to say it, terrible.)
1. Your thesis supporting example is frankly hard to believe unless you are talking about a tiny sample size.
2. SAT & ACT results are far from perfect. However, across large numbers they are the best predictors of future academic success we have. Better than grades, better than teacher recommendations etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 2,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Grand Prairie is a big diverse suburb as I've repeated. It has good parts and bad.

But I think you're kidding yourself if you think the average kid is getting a quality education at either school. They both rank in the bottom 10% of SAT scores in the entire metroplex- and that's just of the kids who are actually trying to go to college, not the whole senior class. The state average is 1394. GP's average is 1100 and SGP's is 1252. Those scores show the average student is in no way prepared for college, and likely the students who are in the upper deciles of the class aren't either. I know there are bright student who rise above but in schools like these, there may be 10-20 students in a class of 600.

And just do a google search for gangs in Grand Prairie. Then search for gangs in Coppell, gangs in Frisco, gangs in Grapevine....there clearly is a gang problem in GP. Maybe not in your neighborhood - because again, as I've mentioned GP covers a HUGE land mass of 80 square miles, but there most definitely is a gang problem in GP. DFW's gang issues pretty much run straight across I-30/I-20 from FW to Arlington, GP, Irving and into West Dallas/ South Dallas.
I’m not totally disagreeing with you. Coppell is a superior school district compared to G.P. It’s about the opportunities kids have. I was fortunate to be a Coppell grad but South Grand Prairie has some great teachers and kids also. I know of a area that has gangs in G.P. But not all of the city. Coppell is way to expensive for my taste but you will get a great district. I normally all over the area scouting, talking to different people and all I can say is to do your due diligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas