Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:16 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Maybe that was true in the 1970s, but the low-wage sector is where the most job growth has occurred and you don't have to be an economist to realize that wage growth lags far behind inflation...additionally, housing costs have skyrocketed here in recent years.

I doubt there are enough 16-18 year olds in Plano to satisfy demand for every minimum-wage job out there. Plus, who's going to wash the dishes, mop the floors, and flip the burgers while the kids are in school, doing their homework, or participating in the myriad of scheduled activities their parents have planned for them?

When those kids' parents go out to lunch on a weekday with their work buddies, who do you think is cooking the food and working the register? Not high school kids.

Sigh. Yes, I'm sure my post meant that EVERY single minimum wage job is supposed to be held by high school kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
But how is that supposed to work? Are all the nail salons, restaurants, car washes, etc supposed to be closed while kids are in school and magicly open when school gets out at 4pm? Is it realistic to think that high school kids are going to be serving you or making your burrito when you go out to lunch on workdays? College kids have more flexible schedules but UTD and Collin College don't enroll enough students to staff ALL the hourly jobs in Collin County either.

Same comment applies to you as well.

The age group that suffered the most in the last recession and job market were workers 16-25. Those jobs that would normally have been filled by a younger worker were now being taken by 20-30 somethings who had been laid off. People who already had families. These people were not meant to support a family on a minimum wage salary.

For those that can't afford to live in an area, the long term solution is to move. This holds true whether you're pulling down $60-75k in California and can't afford to live where you do or if you're making $25k a year and living in Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's because plenty of houses and apartments in and near Plano used to be affordable on minimum wage salaries.

Nope. That hasn't been the case in Plano at any time from the mid 80's to now.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 PM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure all of those vets and low income patients can just feel his disdain for them coming out of every pore on his body. And I bet they love hearing about his Bentley. Not what I would call empathy considering the way he speaks about the less fortunate on this forum.

Actually I just go do it. I was never asked to nor did I get any benefit from it. I realized it could help people with a disease that makes life hard and just show up to do it. I’m real sure what they feel is hope. Most sinply thought there was no path without big $.

Pretty neat to see someone come up to you years later and hug you because their QOL is improved.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
No proving a point that I have probably more empathy than most here do. I guess I better be careful because we know you might cry like a baby and tell a mod you got hurt.

Let me know when you change hundreds of peoples lives for free yearly. I'll wait......likely forever.

By all means, continue with the insults. The forum enjoys when you're given a forced leave of absence.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 PM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
By all means, continue with the insults. The forum enjoys when you're given a forced leave of absence.
Wah wah. I would even offer you a tissue for free

See that is empathy.

Last edited by kyam11; 05-23-2018 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
So far as minimum wages FDR fought for a minimum wage to be included in The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938(?). FDR said himself that the min. wage needed to be a "living wage" and it was set with his approval at $0.25 per hour or $4.41 in todays money.

When FDR said living wages he meant in reality survival wages. Even then 25 cents per hour probably meant living in a tent, an ultra-garbage apt. or maybe an extra room and eating tortillas and peanut butter - a car? not a chance, a TV? no way, a radio? probably not because there'd be little chance of affording electricity.

Today about 2% of workers over 25yo make the minimum wage - that's straight from the BLS. Around half of min. wage earners are 16-25 even though workers in that age cadre account for a only 1/5 of all hourly paid workers.

The take away is Katana's point that min. wages are currently mostly for/about young workers is right on. He's 100% right there's no rational counter argument.

Just a pro tip. It's never a bad idea to at least consider what an economist says about matters of economics.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 PM

630 posts, read 658,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So far as minimum wages FDR fought for a minimum wage to be included in The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938(?). FDR said himself that the min. wage needed to be a "living wage" and it was set with his approval at $0.25 per hour or $4.41 in todays money.

The take away is Katana's point that min. wages are currently mostly for/about young workers is right on. He's 100% right there's no rational counter argument.

Just a pro tip. It's never a bad idea to at least consider what an economist says about matters of economics.
Since the business lobbying arms have been very busy pressing Congress/WH not to mandate or even discuss expanding e-Verify because businesses would lose their unauthorized workforce and be forced to pay HIGHER WAGES to hire legal workers, It’s clear that everything Katana said is pure BS to justify paying poverty wages.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nobody said "affordable to all," but wouldn't it be better if businesses in affluent areas lacking good public transportation options made it easier for some of the low-wage workers to live closer to work?

I mean, seriously...y'all want to have your cake and eat it too. You can't expect people to wash dishes for minimum wage and pay $1300 in rent every month. Someone working full-time on minimum wage doesn't even net $1300/mo. They'd struggle to pay half that amount in rent.

The number of low-wage workers stacked half a dozen deep in motel rooms/extended stay "hotels" or sleeping in their cars would probably shock you. I wonder if you'd care. You do realize that a lot of people in homeless shelters actually have jobs, right?
You fly to extremes pretty quick, don't you?
I think better solutions than creating high density housing (which really benefits no one) would be to invest in transportation infrastructure, etc. [Even though 80% of people living in poverty have access to a car, and you know, TONS OF US COMMUTE.]
Better for the environment and road congestion.
I was against the "luxury" apartments, too.

And spare me. I'll go head to head with anyone on here re: direct and monetary charity work with the local poor and homeless folks.

Last edited by stan4; 05-24-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
Since the business lobbying arms have been very busy pressing Congress/WH not to mandate or even discuss expanding e-Verify because businesses would lose their unauthorized workforce and be forced to pay HIGHER WAGES to hire legal workers, It’s clear that everything Katana said is pure BS to justify paying poverty wages.
You're emotional let that go. Discussions around economics broach the impossible when participant's vision is clouded with emotion.

I've never heard Katana discuss e-Verify so I don't know if you are right or wrong about his thoughts in that area.

I support something like e-Verify. As it is 100% clear that illegals do indeed debase pay rates among lower and no skilled jobs.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You fly to extremes pretty quick, don't you?
I think better solutions than creating high density housing (which really benefits no one) would be to invest in transportation infrastructure, etc. [Even though 80% of people living in poverty have access to a car, and you know, TONS OF US COMMUTE.]
Better for the environment and road congestion.
I was against the "luxury" apartments, too.

And spare me. I'll go head to head with anyone on here re: direct and monetary charity work with the local poor and homeless folks.
I'm somewhat flattered that you took anything I said personally enough to think we had a beef or something.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas