Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:06 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Many of the people you are describing are barely scraping by. Moving costs quite a bit of money even if you're just switching apartment complexes. How do you suggest they pay for that?

Oh you know, the old fashioned way... saving for it. You'd be surprised what things most people have and think they can't do without, and they certainly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
We are discussing an area experiencing tremendous growth with high median disposable incomes. For better or worse, that is a very large market for products and services.

Labor costs vary by location for a variety of reasons and those costs should be reflected in the market. In my world, costs for operations in Midland/Odessa exceed that of DFW (speaking of admittedly skilled jobs, not service jobs). We have to pay higher rates of compensation in that area, but so do our competitors. As a result we charge more in that market (as do our competitors).
Reason enough to keep my money in Richardson.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Plano doesn't need any more townhomes, apartments or any other temporary dwellings. Many of the people who live in Plano cannot even afford their one bedroom apartments. Many of them work minimum wage jobs. They would be better off moving to an area that is more affordable. Actually, most of the people in these apartments move around quite often so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Highland Park has had the highest property values, lowest crime, and best schools for the last 101 years so I'm not so sure when "it" is all going to catch up to them....
True. It's a safe area and the residents there have put down roots in the community. They have a vested interest in keeping it a nice place.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,178,617 times
Well, its not about roots or leavs, average house value is $1.5 million so fruits will be protected.

I think other than money, location, schools and police are three big factors for their small bubble staying protected. For crying out loud, their population is less than 10,000. Most suburbs have more kids in high schools than they have in whole town. You can't compare apples and oranges let alone grapes and water melons.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Low wage jobs are what kids living at home are for. They're not paying rent. They're earning enough to put gas in their cars, buy clothes and things they want, and having money to go out on the weekends while they're still in school. Plano's got an abundance of kids for a whole lot of minimum wage jobs... But maybe that's the problem. They no longer want to work a minimum wage job, which forces those positions to be filled by people who do not live in Plano.
I know a lot of adults who live in Plano, who work a retail job or food service. Many of the parents at my child's Plano school work in these types of jobs. They hold down two jobs, in some cases, and they live in apartments in Plano. Some have the whole family living in a one-bedroom apartment. I've never met anyone who is wealthy who lives in Plano - east or west. I've heard for years about "rich people in Plano" but I think that's only a few gated communities here and there.

It's true that some teens don't like to work, as they would rather be involved with their friends or sports.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:57 PM

Its not Schrödinger's cat, you need to socialize with a financially diverse group though ironically most people I know here are millionaires and networth isn't necessarily inflated through incomes of their wives.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:07 PM

We socialize mostly with parents and I'm guessing it's the older people - the senior citizens that have all the wealth that is supposedly in Plano.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM

You are right about that. Most of my circle is 50+ but i know doctors, IT, finance, executives, businessman etc who are in 30's and 40's and doing very well. Most money is in 75093 and 75024. Most $500k homes are owned by two income families.

Even when kids were in schools and we mostly socialized with other parents,Brinker/Barksdale/Centennial<Renner<Shepton< Plano West cluster had predominantly highly educated and well off families.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
You are right about that. Most of my circle is 50+ but i know doctors, IT, finance, executives, businessman etc who are in 30's and 40's and doing very well. Most money is in 75093 and 75024. .
We don't live in those zip codes. We do have some elderly people who live on our street, who retired and do well financially. We noticed most of the families seem to be in apartments in our area; the older folks are in houses. Their kids are grown.

I do wish Plano would stop building apartments. Although some are necessary, there are too many now. The traffic is worse due to the population density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas