Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times

Advertisements

It's not really that mysterious. There are better plots along the DNT to the west, it's adjacent to the lousiest section of Preston Road between Dallas & Prosper, and most of the apartment communities between 635 and Beltline are unexceptional, and the sweet developer/infrastructure cash is going elsewhere in Dallas.

I don't share the enthusiasm for Collin Creek Mall redevelopment for the same reason - the adjacent neighborhoods are sub-par (though the city is fixing the infrastructure to turn them), there are better plots along the G Bush and along 75 into Allen. The strip center buildings adjacent to Collin Creek are all past their prime and leaky - the owners are doing the best to get what is there improved. The mall site isn't even really exceptional - it's developed so a company would do just as good to purchase the east side of 75 near Collin Creek as the west side. And then there is incompetent neighborhood opposition - who think that the only thing it needs is more & fancier stores. Yeah right. Maybe the current guy will prove me wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Idk about Dallas's dilemmas but as Collin Creek's old leases are approaching expiry, there has been a lot of bargaining going on between Plano and interested developers. This is one of the biggest item on mayor's agenda.
Y'all have fun with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's really kind of mysterious why that large expanse of land where Valley View Mall and nearby stuff is located, hasn't been bought up and redeveloped. There aren't many large expanses of open/underutilized land like that, so close to good areas of town and with excellent access.
It's an outstanding location but the neighborhood between Noel to the west, Preston to the east, 635 to the south, and Alpha to the north has been down-at-heel for over 30 years. Generations of recent immigrants have made their first stop at the ramshackle apartments just north of Valley View Mall. The area's only gotten worse as Valley View has declined. So far nobody has wanted to be "first" to roll the dice and scrape the area clean.

High-end multi-use developments there could be viewed as "speculative" right now, but I don't think it'll turn out to be a bad bet. It's not Plano, but only Plano is Plano. There's plenty of valuable real estate in DFW outside of Plano.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

I don't share the enthusiasm for Collin Creek Mall redevelopment for the same reason...The mall site isn't even really exceptional - it's developed so a company would do just as good to purchase the east side of 75 near Collin Creek as the west side.....
Are all the cross-street intersections on Central Expressway in Plano still so god-awful, where you have to make 18 turns to just get from one side to the other, or have they ever re-done those? That BS was enough to deter me from visiting Collin Creek Mall and other centers along Central when I lived and worked out that way.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Are all the cross-street intersections on Central Expressway in Plano still so god-awful, where you have to make 18 turns to just get from one side to the other, or have they ever re-done those?
You are talking about Park Blvd, and it's pretty much the same.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I think in time, there will remain only 2 malls in the entire Dallas area. North Park and the Galleria.

I think Stonebriar and Willowbend will bite the dust in maybe 5 years.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I think in time, there will remain only 2 malls in the entire Dallas area. North Park and the Galleria.
Eh, IDK there's a 3rd mall in Plano at Park & Preston. It may not be a named mall, but it's got all the same stores.

I think The Galleria will bite the dust before Stonebriar, which is one of the most popular malls in DFW. But neither of them anytime soon.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Willowbend has an advantage of having affluent neighbors and it has already started cashing on that by restructuring their game plan. More and more child friendly (Crayola, Children's theater, pottery and upscale girls birthday place etc.) and familycentric shopping and dinning is being added. A hotel, luxury gym, office complex are also joining WB family.

If they added karate, indoor soccer, swimming pool and daycare/tutoring center, families would hang there all day, moms shopping/grooming/working/working out, kids learning, dad working/working out and later all eating before heading home.

Stonebriar can't do that as its just too big to be a family hub so probably it would stay a mall unless someone like Amazon bought the whole thing.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Eh, IDK there's a 3rd mall in Plano at Park & Preston. It may not be a named mall, but it's got all the same stores..
Is it an outdoor mall? I only know of an outdoor shopping area at that location.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 PM

630 posts, read 657,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So you think the land between the Galleria and Preston Road just north of 635 (which includes Valley View Mall, a dead car dealership, and a garbage strip mall) doesn't constitute a "precious commodity"? You don't think developers look at that area and picture thousands of "luxury" apartments on it?
The mess at valley View seems to be more related to the inexperience of the developer Beck Ventures, who seems clueless about how to manage such a complex site. The site obviously has value fronting a major highway and adjacent to DNT.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
The mess at valley View seems to be more related to the inexperience of the developer Beck Ventures, who seems clueless about how to manage such a complex site. The site obviously has value fronting a major highway and adjacent to DNT.
I would agree with that. Whatever the reasons are for Beck not doing its job properly, it needs to solve them. That area was ugly before. It looks like a war zone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas