Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 PM

274 posts, read 855,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If it's so very awesome why is NY's population shrinking and NJ's population growth just a hint above flatline?
Real Estate Prices. Jobs. Taxes.

You get a LOT more bang for your buck in TX, even with rising housing prices. I do miss a good eggplant parm (like - a minimum of 3 inches of stacked eggplant - yum!), gravy, and Chinese takeout, though... and I REALLY miss 24 hour diners and the whole culture that comes with them. Someone in Dallas has got to fill this super specific culinary void at some point, right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 PM

468 posts, read 475,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post

You get a LOT more bang for your buck in TX, even with rising housing prices. I do miss a good eggplant parm (like - a minimum of 3 inches of stacked eggplant - yum!), gravy, and Chinese takeout, though... and I REALLY miss 24 hour diners and the whole culture that comes with them. Someone in Dallas has got to fill this super specific culinary void at some point, right?!
Naah, why would a successful mom and pop, multi generational family operation up and move to TX, leave behind their customers and their vendors and start all over to win over customer base that goes out for Mexican food? They don't wont know what kind of Graavy to serve them, LOL

Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
I tell you I get really tired of New Yorkers complaining they can't find the same kinds of things elsewhere.

"You know, it's just horrible out here in EBE Nebraska. Never mind the reasonable housing the big sky the safe neighborhoods and all that, it's just simply impossible to find good Serbian-Korean fusion barbecue takeaway at 2 in the morning, like we used to could in Manhattan. What a dump!"

Well, DUUHHH. Why is it a surprise that the choices available in one of the three or four major city centers of the ENTIRE WORLD are not available in smaller cities?

It's like moving to Hershey, PA and complaining about the smell of chocolate.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Naah, why would a successful mom and pop, multi generational family operation up and move to TX, leave behind their customers and their vendors and start all over to win over customer base that goes out for Mexican food? They don't wont know what kind of Graavy to serve them, LOL
That’s all sorts of insulting. I knew nothing about traditional Vietnamese spring rolls the first time I went to a Vietnamese restaurant but I figured it out. I didn’t know which tapas to order the first time I went to Cafe Madrid but I figured it out. I’m not the only Dallasite who can say this. One of the things I love about Dallas is how much the residents like to try new and different types of cuisines. We love our Tex Mex and barbecue but we have in our hearts for tons of other kinds of food as well.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Because everyone in New York and California knows that here in Texas we just learned how to tie our shoes last week, can barely read and write, and all we eat is corn pone, poke salad, and squirrel stew.

Yep.

You know, when a state has three of the ten largest cities in the USA, there is probably a little bit of urban life here and there.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:47 AM

274 posts, read 855,599 times
Wow, lol. Lots of weirdly hurt feelings over people liking regional food. It's not better or worse, just different. I sure didn't know a good taco or good BBQ before coming to Texas. And sorry, just like good Tex Mex is few and far between in the northeast, good bagels and Italian food are few and far between down here. Not everything is a personal (or regional) slight.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:38 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,216,689 times
I agree that regional cuisine exists. Peter5457, however, was using an insulting and patronizing tone of voice to claim that us Mexican food eaters didn’t have the capability to appreciate other regional cuisines.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:

My point was rhetorical. We have a place in NYC and a small parcel of farmland in Columbia Co. PA.

Give me the Finger Lakes region - FWIIW.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Wow, lol. Lots of weirdly hurt feelings over people liking regional food. It's not better or worse, just different. I sure didn't know a good taco or good BBQ before coming to Texas. And sorry, just like good Tex Mex is few and far between in the northeast, good bagels and Italian food are few and far between down here. Not everything is a personal (or regional) slight.
It's the phony better than you, provincial and patronizing words people, just as you wrote above, from The NE US lay on Texas/Texans. It's tiresome and phoney.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
Italian food to NJ is like Mexican to Texas. You can't find decent Mexican restaurants in NJ. I remember Jose Tejas and Taco Bell being pretty famous lol. But no one really cared much for Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas