Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

This video displays how bad poverty really is in the City of Dallas. I’ve have encountered Dallasites who’ve never really ventured and explored the southern half of the city. Many who don’t live in or haven’t visited Dallas’ toughest neighbrohoods don’t understand/know how bad the level of poverty really is. For far too long, previous mayors and city council members have ignored the poverty issue in Dallas. Sweeping it under the rug, has lead to a poverty crisis in Dallas. It’s sad to say that Dallas has the highest level of concentrated child poverty out of the top 10 largest cities in America. That’s a statistic that people don’t know or if they do know, they don’t like to talk about it. Some might find it to be embarrassing, (Dallas being in a booming region) that Dallas has such a high child poverty rate. The lack of basic infrastructure investment, resources, etc. has turned parts of Dallas into a Detroit or Newark-like state. I love this city but we have to be honest with ourselves...we have to do something or the future of Dallas will be VERY bleak. Can we fix the poverty issue in Dallas without displacing the residents who live in those communities? Have we let certain parts of this city decline so much that it’ll take generations for them to fully recover? What are your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQthSDoHSY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This video displays how bad poverty really is in the City of Dallas. I’ve have encountered Dallasites who’ve never really ventured and explored the southern half of the city. Many who don’t live in or haven’t visited Dallas’ toughest neighbrohoods don’t understand/know how bad the level of poverty really is. For far too long, previous mayors and city council members have ignored the poverty issue in Dallas. Sweeping it under the rug, has lead to a poverty crisis in Dallas. It’s sad to say that Dallas has the highest level of concentrated child poverty out of the top 10 largest cities in America. That’s a statistic that people don’t know or if they do know, they don’t like to talk about it. Some might find it to be embarrassing, (Dallas being in a booming region) that Dallas has such a high child poverty rate. The lack of basic infrastructure investment, resources, etc. has turned parts of Dallas into Detroit or Newark like state. I love this city but we have to be honest with ourselves...we have to do something or the future of Dallas will be VERY bleak. Can we fix the poverty issue in Dallas without displacing the residents who live in those communities? Have we let certain parts of this city decline so much that it’ll take generations for them to fully recover? What are your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQthSDoHSY
Thank you for bringing this to the centre of attention.

At a previous job, we had a contract with DISD, so over a period of about a year and a half, I was at every single school in DISD south of 30, east of 75 as well as several dozen others 10-15 times each.

It was a big eye-opener to me how much most people don't know about the Southern half of Dallas. Some pockets are much nicer than you would expect, most people are wonderful, but there is some terrible poverty down there as well.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:30 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
If you can't afford children, don't have them. Poverty solved.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If you can't afford children, don't have them. Poverty solved.
That’s only one small piece of the puzzle. Even without having children, that wouldn’t slove the poverty issue.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Thank you for bringing this to the centre of attention.

At a previous job, we had a contract with DISD, so over a period of about a year and a half, I was at every single school in DISD south of 30, east of 75 as well as several dozen others 10-15 times each.

It was a big eye-opener to me how much most people don't know about the Southern half of Dallas. Some pockets are much nicer than you would expect, most people are wonderful, but there is some terrible poverty down there as well.
It is a combination of fear (which is mostly fabricated) and them honestly not caring. Some Dallasites would have you believing that Southern Dallas is equivalent (in crime) to Chicago’s Southside. The real problem is high poverty and all the ills that’s associated with it.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Honestly... We'll never fix poverty at home as long as we let hundreds of thousands of illiterate poverty people stream across our borders ever year. Many settle right here in Dallas and North Texas. When you lift 1 person out of poverty and you have several new ones take their place there's not enough tax $$ to ever take care of the problem.

Isn't something like 80-90% of the births at Parkland hospital by non US Citizens? WE fund those births with our County tax $$. That money could be going to provide health care to our children.

It's a losing battle until we control our borders.

There is more to it than that but that's the place to start. Once we stop the huge surge of illegal immigration than we can worry about spending our tax $$ on the people here for proper education, parenting and health care.

Until then your fighting an ocean tide. Over 1 million + people are supposed to be coming into the US illegally this year and Texas will absorb a huge portion of those people. Those people will be a huge drain on our social services system. They will live in Poverty. You and I will have to pay for their food, their insulin, their dentist work.

I know this is not a popular topic.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:00 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It is a combination of fear (which is mostly fabricated) and them honestly not caring. Some Dallasites would have you believing that Southern Dallas is equivalent (in crime) to Chicago’s Southside. The real problem is high poverty and all the ills that’s associated with it.

Texans are the most giving people in the world helping out fellow Texans. Churches help, we all help by donations and time and money.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Honestly... We'll never fix poverty at home as long as we let hundreds of thousands of illiterate poverty people stream across our borders ever year. Many settle right here in Dallas and North Texas. When you lift 1 person out of poverty and you have several new ones take their place there's not enough tax $$ to ever take care of the problem.

Isn't something like 80-90% of the births at Parkland hospital by non US Citizens? WE fund those births with our County tax $$. That money could be going to provide health care to our children.

There is more to it than that but that's the place to start. Once we stop the huge surge of illegal immigration than we can worry about spending our tax $$ on the people here for proper education, parenting and health care.

Until then your fighting an ocean tide. Over 1 million + people are supposed to be coming into the US illegally this year and Texas will absorb a huge portion of those people. Those people will be a huge drain on our social services system. They will live in Poverty. You and I will have to pay for their food, their insulin, their dentist work.

Although you have some good points on immigration, I will say that the people who are the most animate about securing the border and limiting even legal migration are usually those who don’t want to expand welfare, donate more of their time or money, or come up with any solution besides "they need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps".

Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM

104 posts, read 90,377 times
Quote:

Wrong. ~82.01% of the South Dallas population is Black or African American. I am 100% confident that the vast majority of the vast 82.01% majority did not hop over a fence.

12.1% hispanic, and you can bet they aren't all illegal just because they are hispanic. That would be a racist assumption.

The last in-fact statistic on Parkland is also still quite different from 80-90%, closer to 60%. Doesn't mean they go live in South Dallas, by the way.

You are mixing your political opinion up as fact when it is a false truth sold with an agenda.

South Dallas largely suffers from segregation laws of the past - systemic side effects you can choose to be blind to, or not. They've been left behind and no surprise poverty is sky high.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

You make a very valid point. But before this became a crisis, there were areas that suffered from economic exclusion. Economic exclusion expedites an area’s decline. Especially, an area that’s dominated by a minority race.

I believe, most people want to see economic opportunity spread amongst everyone. It is difficult when basic resources that are common in one area, are not present in another. Some parts of Dallas are so far gone, you simply cannot attract any economic activity due to the state of the area’s infrastructure. As a city, we need to prioritize what’s needed and what’s not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas