Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
And also there are more well-vetted treatment options now, which should reduce deaths, though might just leave more survivors with long term health conditions.

Neither of those mean the virus is weaker.
This is so important. Everyone focuses on COVID deaths, but you can "survive" and still walk away with long-term complications. That aspect is not being emphasized nearly enough.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Well....No State Fair this year........... WEAR THE MASK PEOPLE.....it's simple.
Cancelling it was the right call.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
This is so important. Everyone focuses on COVID deaths, but you can "survive" and still walk away with long-term complications. That aspect is not being emphasized nearly enough.
Chris Cuomo was talking about that last night on his show. 3 months later and he is still not 100% old energy and he was an avid gym-goer, healthy guy before covid. His wife had a mild case but just now getting taste & smell back.

Our friend who plays in 3 tennis leagues (42 year old) had it in March for like 20+ days of being home with severe flu-like symptoms (and one night she thought she was going to die at home) is still having tired spells and can’t do more than hit balls on the backboard for 10 minutes without getting winded. Another friend with a mild case (37 year old triathlete) still has issues with his resting heart rate bouncing from 50’s to 80’s all day long. These are “minor” complications that hopefully won’t have long term health problems BUT these are NOT NORMAL after effects of the flu, pneumonia, a winter cold, etc like people are brushing this off.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 PM

227 posts, read 222,922 times
on what basis , are we being told to send our kids when there is no guarantee or protection..

i would rather keep my kid alive and dumb at home than being knowledgeable and sick in school

Old 07-08-2020, 12:44 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Chris Cuomo was talking about that last night on his show. 3 months later and he is still not 100% old energy and he was an avid gym-goer, healthy guy before covid. His wife had a mild case but just now getting taste & smell back.

Our friend who plays in 3 tennis leagues (42 year old) had it in March for like 20+ days of being home with severe flu-like symptoms (and one night she thought she was going to die at home) is still having tired spells and can’t do more than hit balls on the backboard for 10 minutes without getting winded. Another friend with a mild case (37 year old triathlete) still has issues with his resting heart rate bouncing from 50’s to 80’s all day long. These are “minor” complications that hopefully won’t have long term health problems BUT these are NOT NORMAL after effects of the flu, pneumonia, a winter cold, etc like people are brushing this off.
I agree with the thrust of your statements. That said air sac and other long term to permanent lung damages are fairly common after flu and more common after pneumonia.

My mom is a Hodgkin's Disease survivor who smoked as a younger person. Possibly due to the smoking, radiation and/or chemo. she's developed COPD too. My MD son and his MD wife, both with a combined ~15 weeks in hospitals with Covid patients, tell us Covid would be worse for my mom but a lung attacking flu would put her in great peril as well.

Ask your triathlete friend to look into AFib. It's quite common amongst endurance athletes and especially those who are out of regular training.

I know what AFib feels like (fast thready pulse that I can almost hear).......I hop in a cold shower and it stops every time.

Good luck to them all.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I agree with the thrust of your statements. That said air sac and other long term to permanent lung damages are fairly common after flu and more common after pneumonia.

My mom is a Hodgkin's Disease survivor who smoked as a younger person. Possibly due to the smoking, radiation and/or chemo. she's developed COPD too. My MD son and his MD wife, both with a combined ~15 weeks in hospitals with Covid patients, tell us Covid would be worse for my mom but a lung attacking flu would put her in great peril as well.

Ask your triathlete friend to look into AFib. It's quite common amongst endurance athletes and especially those who are out of regular training.

I know what AFib feels like (fast thready pulse that I can almost hear).......I hop in a cold shower and it stops every time.

Good luck to them all.

It's not just pulmonary damage. There are also issues with blood clotting--thousands of blood clots--and damage to kidneys, liver, intestines...a host of issues, and never just one.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:17 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not just pulmonary damage. There are also issues with blood clotting--thousands of blood clots--and damage to kidneys, liver, intestines...a host of issues, and never just one.
Right. As I understand it the tiny clots cause or at least contribute to a good bit of the the lung damage noted.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:12 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:

That's the same boat I'm in. At first I thought that I was still tired because I hadn't worked out in a couple months, but this goes beyond that.

Swimming has helped, holding my breath, and gradually increasing my cardio efforts. I just hope I have some immunity built up to it now, so it all wasn't for nothing.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 PM

8,112 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
That's the same boat I'm in. At first I thought that I was still tired because I hadn't worked out in a couple months, but this goes beyond that.

Swimming has helped, holding my breath, and gradually increasing my cardio efforts. I just hope I have some immunity built up to it now, so it all wasn't for nothing.
Can you get tested again for antibodies?

Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Right. As I understand it the tiny clots cause or at least contribute to a good bit of the the lung damage noted.

The clotting is also leading to heart attacks and strokes if the clots reach the heart or brain. The clots also lead to other symptoms such as "covid toe," aches in extremities, loss of circulation in extremities, broken capillaries visible under the skin, extreme malaise--symptoms people don't recognize as covid-19 until it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas