Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 11:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
But life is safer for children if they walk around with helmets and knee/elbowpads. Why not take it further and protect them even more? Also, it would be safer if we reduced speed limits nationwide as well.

I think their immune system will be enough of a seatbelt for them at this point. I'll take my chances with COVID now that I have the vaccine. I'm over it.

How did the nationwide shutdowns work for all those European countries? Seems like Italy, the UK, and Spain did just as poorly as we did, except they damaged their economy significantly more as well.

Do you plan to mask up, lockdown, and not travel during the flu season every year? Or will you be exposing millions of people to a deadly disease just so you can get your hair cut and have brunch.
Ok
So you have 16 posts and most of them about this topic
Explains your agenda

Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
This is an endemic virus. It is never going away even with 100% vaccination. If you support a mask mandate now, you have to support making the mandate forever permanent. There will always be a chance of variant. As soon as a mandate would end, a variant will develop.

If you support vaccines, you have to support mandatory yearly vaccines for life for everyone. It is pointless to simply require just two vaccines.

Thats the problem. Its an endless battle and its rather pointless to keep doing all these things forever. All it does is slow it down. There is no defeating this virus.
What does “defeat” mean to you?
Eliminate?
Certainly we can’t do that if 60% of the country thinks it is a delusion vs a disease
Smallpox and measles were basically eliminated in the US
Lax vaccinations have allowed Measles to come back and smallpox could do the same in time

Last year 2020 saw the fewest deaths by flu and lowest number of cases in years
Why? Because of people isolating, masking, washing hands and taking other measures to thwart CoVid
Which are exactly how you mitigate transfer of Flu germs

So yes
We COULD basically eliminate the threat of CoVid and mitigate its dangers if people WANTED TO
But many, too many at this point, choose not to

Old 08-12-2021, 07:04 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I mean, if Im being honest Covid will be here for a very long time but it wont always be like this. Most immunologists seem to think it will start to resemble a cold over time. Thats pretty common with coronaviruses. We will start to see better treatment options as well. Covid is here forever but its not going to be something that stops the world.

I think my experience with Covid was more or less average. It was very unpleasant. I couldnt taste and smell and had really bad headaches for a 6 weeks. But I know that, if I get it again, statistically its likely to be far more mild. I think that pretty much everyone on earth is going to come into contact with this virus. I hope when they do they are vaccinated so it will be more mild or have no issues at all, but everyone is going to get this even if they are asymptomatic or the vaccine fends it off. Thats not a good thing, but even as it mutates, at least half of the population will fend it off from reinfection (per the last studies I saw anyway). Then when it makes a second go around, less people will be susceptible. But the third go around less people still will be susceptible. So over time, it will diminish but it does take time.

That brings me to vaccines. I tend to view the vaccine mandates like gun control. If I could wave a wand and all guns would disappear from the earth along with the technology to make them, I would do it right now. But that isnt a possibility. They are too entrenched in society that controlling them would be a completely useless exercise. Vaccine mandates are the same. There is so much resistance to them among a minority of people that they would literally fight to the death than get one. I personally know some people in East Texas for whom that is the case. Then youve got governors of about half the states that would fight it in the courts or refuse to enforce it. It just simply wont work from a legal, logistical, and human nature perspective.
I'm not so sure about Covid variants being weaker/more mild over time, that remains to be seen. I do hope it does so I'm with you there.

Vaccine mandates work - not in a year or two. There have been mandates for the Spanish Flu, and others already mentioned - and there have been many anti-vaxxers, even back then. The Supreme Court even held vaccine mandates are in the public good and legal. . So states will have to fall in line if some of the current cases get to the Supreme Court (if they keep precedent).

Old 08-12-2021, 07:14 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
I'm not so sure about Covid variants being weaker/more mild over time, that remains to be seen. I do hope it does so I'm with you there.

Vaccine mandates work - not in a year or two. There have been mandates for the Spanish Flu, and others already mentioned - and there have been many anti-vaxxers, even back then. The Supreme Court even held vaccine mandates are in the public good and legal. . So states will have to fall in line if some of the current cases get to the Supreme Court (if they keep precedent).
I think were really talking about two different things. You are talking about what could happen if everyone did their part to fight it. Im talking about what is likely to not happen given the current state of the US and human nature.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:46 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
I bet you a dollar he’s “pro life.”
Wrong, I don't give two ****s if a woman wants to have an abortion. Not my business. It's her absolute choice. I believe people should be left alone to make personal choices just like I want to be left alone about my own personal choices.

Last edited by albert648; 08-12-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Wrong, I don't give two ****s if a woman wants to have an abortion. Not my business. It's her absolute choice. I believe people should be left alone to make personal choices just like I want to be left alone about my own personal choices.
That's the Pro Life movement.... My body my choice until it comes to dictating to you.

I got my vaccines but agree with you that this should be voluntary for masks and vaccines. Cheap masks are useless (especially for children wearing all day at school) and people know the risks of not being vaccinated. 97% of the people recover as if it's a mild flu and the people who die are the elderly and people with health issues. The people who recover then have natural immunities.

Covid, like the flu is going to be with us for a very long time. Right now, I'm not willing to get a "Booster" shot every 6-12 months or stay in a perpetual state of fear.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:36 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's the Pro Life movement.... My body my choice until it comes to dictating to you.
Thats not the pro-life movement at all. There is no "my body my choice" with them.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:39 AM

115 posts, read 63,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Covid, like the flu is going to be with us for a very long time. Right now, I'm not willing to get a "Booster" shot every 6-12 months or stay in a perpetual state of fear.
I'll likely continue to get boosters, but I definitely agree that I refuse to live in fear at this point. I got my vaccine and am done with this. Life always had risks and will continue to have risks.

I've traveled to India numerous times and have even lived there with TB runs rampant and kills many people. I get my vaccine and live carefree while I'm there.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 AM

159 posts, read 92,982 times
In the last week, 3 people have died from COVID in Dallas County.

I'd bet my entire life savings that at least 3 people have died in auto accidents in Dallas County in the last week.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:06 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post
In the last week, 3 people have died from COVID in Dallas County.

I'd bet my entire life savings that at least 3 people have died in auto accidents in Dallas County in the last week.
Yea, no. Three is the Dallas Co. 7-day trailing average through Aug. 10. Four people died of covid on Aug. 10 FE.

A spike in deaths will trail the spike in hospitalizations by about 2 weeks. In other words your argument is terrible on multiple fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas