Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidsMom16 View Post
We live in a small town north of Minnesota. My H is applying for a tenure track soon, last year it was a kind of situation he will move in year or two now in a year. Eventually we are planning to move to warmer state. So if we would have get admitted me and kid wanted to move to Dallas and H will follow us in a year. When we did not get into the applied school we thought we would stay as a family instead of moving.

Applying for multiple years is good amount of effort and money. I thought it would be counted as continued interest in the school. Thanks for the other point of view the school might have on repeated application. Will try to skip GH and apply other schools next year, in case if we again apply as a OOS.
Numbersguy100 gave good advice on getting settled with tenure location first, then schools.

Should you land in Dallas, absolutely apply at GH again. If you really love the school, keep trying.

Another nugget of advice since it sounds like you have a neat kid is to use one of the private school consultants like Eleanor Munson or Waverly Wilson. They would be a great sounding board for you as to which Dallas privates are well equipped to handle a kid working far beyond their peers & also know how to edit/craft essays and prep for parent interviews to put your best foot forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 10:29 AM

15 posts, read 39,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Don't skip applying to GH if that's where you want to go because strangers on an internet forum suggested it wouldn't be looked upon favorably. You asked whether an out of state applicant might be looked down upon and the answer, in general, is no. Last year, GH told existing parents at a meeting that 20% of applications for the 2021-2022 school year were from California, and they accounted for about 20% of the admits. So they seem to be fairly neutral where that is concerned.

As a broader comment given your additional info, I have friends who are tenured professors and that market is so hyper competitive that it makes elite Dallas private school admissions look like a walk in the park. Unless he is so specialized and prominent in his field that he would have his pick of locations and schools, you're going to want to wait and make life decisions about location when and if he secures a tenure track job. I have friends who went that path and either didn't get tenure track jobs or got them in places like Huntsville TX or Fort Myers FL. Their spouses work in jobs that are either remote or do things like public school teacher that will find a job anywhere. Those people all got their PhDs from Ivy league programs that are considered among the best in the country in their respective fields. The first year one applied for a job, there was 1 tenure track opening nationwide in his field. Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of other attractive jobs in Dallas that a recent PhD could land. But if tenured professor is the goal, I'd focus on what that means for your family in the next couple years before worrying about private schools for the kids. Again, just the opinion/viewpoint of someone you don't know on the internet, so take that for what it's worth.
Hi numbersguy100, Yes I 100% agree with your point on tenure track opening. That is our state of confusion too on H's job front. But kid's education was first priority for us. H has a collaborator in Texas, so we thought he would be able to continue his research until he gets a position. But since this year Kid was declined, next year there would be single digit openings, we may be focussing on his tenure track and his move first before securing an admission for kid in private school. Thanks for your reply, your points are very valid. Appreciate it.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admit2022 View Post
Just curious about your kids' CATS score. I had to read your posts 3 times to ensure you are talking about a 4-5 yr old in Pre-K going to K next yr knowing concepts of physics/biology and whatnot. I am sure your kiddo is super bright but assuming you wrote your essays in a similar style about what your kid "knows", I would venture a guess that the admissions office is not buying it. I am no admissions expert but at this age, once you prove your kid is smart through the CATS test, you should stop talking about how smart he/she is and talk more about softer characteristics that would play a part in observations and ensuring the recos are solid from teachers. So I don't think your issue is as much being OOS as some of the above. Sorry if anything I wrote offended you but my two cents.
Thanks for the reply. He is 5 years and 5 months old.
Below are his WPPSI-IV scores last two years. When we had Parent interview (first ever parent interview with any school) with GH for the first year application we were unaware he is a bright student as he was our only kid and not much interaction with other kids. After GH parent interview there was another interview with another school were my H, with out intention showed his greek letter upper case and lower case class work and 4 digit addition and subtraction class work the admissions staff suggested us to look for gifted schools. This was when he was 4 years and 3 months. This year there was no parent interview with GH as we applied for second time. Also I did not write any essay just 10-12 points what all he know/write/do. I am sure his teacher's recos were also solid.

He got admitted to two gifted schools last year both required kid and me stay away from his dad so we did not make the move. GH was our preferred school since he can stay in the same school till his high school but gifted schools are only till middle school. We applied for Nueva school, California (which requires 130+ FSIQ to even consider the application). We evaluated him to apply for Nueva to see if he qualifies and only then we came to know he is bright. There were two rounds early birthday and late birthday he was placed in wait pool in both rounds. They only admit 18-22 students and only 10 seats for boys. We have applied again this year but after knowing the GH decision, prepared to hear the same from Nueva too.

Year 2020:
FSIQ: 134 (99th percentile)
Verbal Comprehension Index: 132 (98th percentile)
Visual Spatial Index: 145 (99.9th percentile)
Fluid Reasoning Index: 133 (99th)
Working memory Index: 103 (58th percentile)
Processing Speed Index: 106 (66th percentile)

Year 2021:
FSIQ: 131 (98th percentile)
Verbal Comprehension Index: 132 (98th percentile)
Visual Spatial Index: 138 (99th percentile)
Fluid Reasoning Index: 136 (99th percentile)
Working memory Index: 100 (50th percentile)
Processing Speed Index: 100 (50th percentile)

Last edited by KidsMom16; 03-13-2022 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Numbersguy100 gave good advice on getting settled with tenure location first, then schools.

Should you land in Dallas, absolutely apply at GH again. If you really love the school, keep trying.

Another nugget of advice since it sounds like you have a neat kid is to use one of the private school consultants like Eleanor Munson or Waverly Wilson. They would be a great sounding board for you as to which Dallas privates are well equipped to handle a kid working far beyond their peers & also know how to edit/craft essays and prep for parent interviews to put your best foot forward.
Thanks for this valuable advice about consultants Eleanor Munson or Waverly Wilson. Next year I want to give a try at St. Marks or (even GH). Want to try every chance on our end for next year. If he gets we will try find a work around for H's tenure track. If he still gets declined we will focus on tenure and look for a good school were he gets job.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 31,553 times
FWIW, my colleague's kid got into Hockaday this year as an out of state app (California). However, she already had a job nailed down in Dallas which was a strong indication they were moving.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBlueGin View Post
FWIW, my colleague's kid got into Hockaday this year as an out of state app (California). However, she already had a job nailed down in Dallas which was a strong indication they were moving.
That information is helpful, thanks for sharing. I work from home, next year will try to convey the message that we will move to the city.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:42 AM

446 posts, read 1,006,325 times
Thought this group might be interested in the cover story of the St. Mark's high school newspaper this month. Some very good info on admissions and the process. https://issuu.com/smtexas/docs/remarker_march_2022

Old 03-14-2022, 08:52 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 139,656 times
Since when did 'kid' become 'kiddo'?

I get nicknames and shortening terms and names, but this just adds 'do' for some reason.

North Dallas culture will never make sense to me.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Since when did 'kid' become 'kiddo'?

I get nicknames and shortening terms and names, but this just adds 'do' for some reason.

North Dallas culture will never make sense to me.

I believe that "kiddo" has been around for about a hundred years and has nothing to do with North Dallas.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 31,553 times
Question for the group: does anyone have any clue as to the share of kids waitlisted versus denied at the schools? (SM, Hockaday, GH, ESD). I have no sense what it really means to be waitlisted versus straight up denied. PK and K level specifically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas