Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 09:51 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,097,847 times

Advertisements

I've got feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 03:40 PM

64 posts, read 116,493 times
I like Urban Reserve, would like to live in that house

Old 02-16-2023, 03:49 PM

4,591 posts, read 2,728,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdoughnuts View Post
I like Urban Reserve, would like to live in that house
Get out the buckets! And the mosquito spray!

Keep the security system fees paid up!

Don't forget the noise cancelling headphones for Central Expressway a quarter mile to the west, and the boom cars through the hoods nearby!

Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,783,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Get out the buckets! And the mosquito spray!

Keep the security system fees paid up!

Don't forget the noise cancelling headphones for Central Expressway a quarter mile to the west, and the boom cars through the hoods nearby!
Crime and city noise are a problem all over Dallas. It's a big city, after all, with an underfunded and mismanaged police force. And the mosquitos are horrible all over the place too. I find Lakewood and Park Cities to be among the worst in that regard, on account of the standing water from all the overused sprinkler systems. For the price I don't love these particular homes either but you're acting like it's the only part of the city with these problems, and I don't think that's correct.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Crime and city noise are a problem all over Dallas. It's a big city, after all, with an underfunded and mismanaged police force. And the mosquitos are horrible all over the place too. I find Lakewood and Park Cities to be among the worst in that regard, on account of the standing water from all the overused sprinkler systems. For the price I don't love these particular homes either but you're acting like it's the only part of the city with these problems, and I don't think that's correct.
Certainly "Urban Reserve" is far from being the only area with the issues I've indicated. But at these prices, I expect something better.

It's a general principle to buy a lower price house in a better neighborhood, to buy interior lots, to buy lots that do not back up to noise sources; here they're asking from 900k to 1.8 million, for houses some of which back up to the commuter rail, and all of which back up to far less desirable houses in the 300k-400k range.

The customers for these, in my mind, are those whose desire for a house built according to theories of design and "new urbanism" outweighs financial prudence or common sense.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:38 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,925,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Certainly "Urban Reserve" is far from being the only area with the issues I've indicated. But at these prices, I expect something better.
Agree 100%!!!!

Old 02-17-2023, 09:28 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,420,629 times
I think you all are nuts. You're free to dislike any homes you want, but Preston Hollow backs up on the tollway, Highland Park has expensive homes that are on Preston, as does every city north to Proper. Look at all the homes on Loop 12. So backing up on a busy highway and being expensive is part of Dallas. Some expensive houses are also close to cheaper homes, because Dallas is a city, not an exurb.

Also, the majority of commercial buildings in DFW have flat roofs, and fixing a flat roof doesn't cost any more than replacing a shingled roof.

So every complaint - mosquitoes especially - is a joke from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:07 AM

772 posts, read 940,722 times
My biggest issue with this home would be the houses directly behind it... they aren't going anywhere any time soon, and that will weigh on pricing and the neighborhood as a whole until they get bought/bulldozed one by one.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think you all are nuts. You're free to dislike any homes you want, but Preston Hollow backs up on the tollway, Highland Park has expensive homes that are on Preston, as does every city north to Proper. Look at all the homes on Loop 12. So backing up on a busy highway and being expensive is part of Dallas. Some expensive houses are also close to cheaper homes, because Dallas is a city, not an exurb.

Also, the majority of commercial buildings in DFW have flat roofs, and fixing a flat roof doesn't cost any more than replacing a shingled roof.

So every complaint - mosquitoes especially - is a joke from people who have no idea what they are talking about.
1) Yes, most prosperous areas have less desirable houses that back up to busy streets. Few of them back up to Central Expressway AND the commuter rail. And those houses that corner or front on Preston or the tollroad sell for considerably less than the ones in the middle of the block. But Vanguard Way runs PARALLEL to Central and the DART commuter rail; there ARE no houses in the middle of the block, away from the noise sources.

2) I have worked in multiple flat-roofed buildings and every single one of them leaked. And the idea that it costs no more to fix a flat roof than a standard roof is just bogus. You obviously don't know anything about roofing technology.

3) Have you ever stood a couple hundred feet from White Rock Creek on a hot summer's evening?

4) The neighborhood those expensive houses back up to would kill the deal for most people, even if the noise and other matters didn't.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:33 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,466,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

....You took every word out of my mind before it hit my fingers.............+1

Those are EXACTLY the type of houses I would buy or have built.(If I ever became interested in buying a house)....I think i mentioned that on another thread that slips my mind at this point.

...ANYWAY!!....The vibe of the surrounding fabric is what you expect in an inner-city neighborhood....No...It won't be for EVERYBODY but the power of choice kicks in at that point.

If I had the money to move there and I noticed that the houses only looked nice but were built badly...I would just use my money to "PROPERLY" build a custom home and reap the benefits of The increasing land value along with increasing property value.........Which would guarantee an increasing net profit if I decided to sell.

That's something NONE of the other poorly built OLDER(similar style designed) homes on the same street would ever be able to do without a FULL foundation to ceiling rennovation......There's an answer and a way around EVERYTHING!!

Last edited by dallasboi; 02-17-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas