Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 481 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with this houses. What is that nonsense about mosquitos? Did you never know that running water does not harbor mosquitos? This is a river. The venue is perfect. The houses themselves are very fine unlike the poorly designed slab sided houses in places like Frisco. These have style and character. Quality has a price. If you don't like the quality you are free to buy the cookie cutter house of frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 11:37 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,405,949 times
I drove down Vanguard with the kids today. My son isn't really a fan of the modern style, really, but he loved the architecture on the east side of the street. The view from the rear of the homes on the west side of the street is pretty bleak -- so much trash along the concrete creek from frequent flooding. I just realized today that my nextdoor neighbor lived on Vanguard until she had kids.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:39 AM

21 posts, read 14,157 times
Quite honestly, five years ago Urban Reserve was exciting. Even with the negativity of the Forest/75 stigma and being on the wrong side of 75, it was lush and new and modern. But two things happened since then. The tornado came through and took out most of the lush vegetation that provided screening from the DART tracks and the commercial development on the other side (the Home Depot that took a direct hit from the Tornado is just across the DART tracks). The second thing that happened is the beautiful tract of virgin forest that isolated the north end of Urban Reserve was sold (by the initial owner and developer of UR no less!!) to Darling Homes, who came in, bulldozed every single leaf and blade of grass, and started building truly heinous and homely suburban-type houses right next door to UR, and looming OVER UR. Check out the google street view from a couple years ago and you can see the transformation for yourself. The original developer of UR sold their house and moved away, and almost immediately the formerly impeccable landscaping seems to have taken a nosedive. And what is left? As described above, bleak views and lots of trash.

However, assuming the city takes care of the homeless/zombie camp on the creeks near Forest, and assuming that the nearby neighborhood continues to gentrify, it could actually a fabulous location. Hopefully for the sake of the homeowners that won't take years.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:25 AM

630 posts, read 661,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
The second thing that happened is the beautiful tract of virgin forest that isolated the north end of Urban Reserve was sold (by the initial owner and developer of UR no less!!) to Darling Homes, who came in, bulldozed every single leaf and blade of grass, and started building truly heinous and homely suburban-type houses right next door to UR, and looming OVER UR. Check out the google street view from a couple years ago and you can see the transformation for yourself. The original developer of UR sold their house and moved away, and almost immediately the formerly impeccable landscaping seems to have taken a nosedive. And what is left? As described above, bleak views and lots of trash.
Lol. Those “homely” suburban houses are listed at +1.5 million. Considering the local tastes, I bet those houses will sell much faster than the unique bizarre homes in the Urban Reserve.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
Lol. Those “homely” suburban houses are listed at +1.5 million. Considering the local tastes, I bet those houses will sell much faster than the unique bizarre homes in the Urban Reserve.
You're certainly right about that! Several of them have sold even before completion. But they have the same issues as UR: wrong side of 75, too close to Forest and 75, backing up to less desirable neighborhood. But maybe plonking a Frisco house into the mix is the secret sauce?

Old 02-21-2023, 07:30 AM

4,614 posts, read 2,753,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_balaji View Post
I am familiar with this houses. What is that nonsense about mosquitos? Did you never know that running water does not harbor mosquitos? This is a river. The venue is perfect. The houses themselves are very fine unlike the poorly designed slab sided houses in places like Frisco. These have style and character. Quality has a price. If you don't like the quality you are free to buy the cookie cutter house of frisco.
"River" is kind of an overstatement.

You obviously are not familiar with low-lying slow moving meandering alluvial streams found all over the Great Plains.

Yes, those creeks are running, except when they slow to a trickle and there are swampy areas all round, or when there's a heavy rain that floods all of that river bottom and takes weeks to dry out.

As to the houses, the RE agent has already noted that they're aging poorly. Flat roofs in a climate marked by periodic torrential downpours, incredible solar loads, high winds, and damaging hailstorms, will always be an inferior choice compared to pitched roofs.

The houses are long skinny trailer-like structures separated by no more than a few feet.

The DART commuter rail runs right behind one side of the development (like, you're going to be able to identify the passengers in the train cars from your back yard) and the other side backs up to a rather undesirable neighborhood and is easy walking distance from some quite rough areas. You can expect a high rate of property crime.

Just across the river bottom you're looking at the backs of several large big box type stores and car dealerships, then Central Expressway - with nothing to block either that lovely view or its noise. I hope the people on the west side enjoy the sound of 18-wheelers' backup beepers at 6 am when they come to unload at the dock on the back side of that big Home Despot.

Yes, there are lots of places that have one or more of these issues elsewhere in the city, but I wouldn't be interested in signing up for all of them, not at those prices.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:02 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,103,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The houses are long skinny trailer-like structures separated by no more than a few feet.

That one applies to virtually ALL new construction across the entire DFW metro area.

I still keep wondering when and how this concept of rectangular lots popped up. My own house is on a lot that's 63 x 68. Why don't builders make lots like that any more?

Old 02-21-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
That one applies to virtually ALL new construction across the entire DFW metro area.

I still keep wondering when and how this concept of rectangular lots popped up. My own house is on a lot that's 63 x 68. Why don't builders make lots like that any more?
And the triangular lot leads to a triangular house. And that in turn leads to some really weird rooms with unusable space.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:11 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,103,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
And the triangular lot leads to a triangular house. And that in turn leads to some really weird rooms with unusable space.

They might as well be building triangles.

Houses should be more square shaped. The rectangles you see today lead to weird rooms and less usable space, and that's precisely what's wrong with them.

I'm not quite sure when or why that changed.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:53 AM

772 posts, read 943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post

Are you sure about that? That seems like an extremely small lot for Stonebridge Ranch. That's .1 of an acre.

I'd argue builders are moving to that... lots in subdivisions used to be .25 acre around here in the 60's through the 80's. They're getting smaller and smaller now, but .1 still seems very small unless you live in a zero lot line house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas