Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 05:20 PM

141 posts, read 46,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
LOL NO it does not. Look up the word "employ".
Las Colinas added 21,000 employees in the last five years. I think that is the area they are referring to. Both Cypress Waters and West Lake are also booming. I think DFW is the largest airport city in the world. If not, I'd like to know which airport is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 11:37 AM

680 posts, read 277,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
Las Colinas added 21,000 employees in the last five years. I think that is the area they are referring to. Both Cypress Waters and West Lake are also booming. I think DFW is the largest airport city in the world. If not, I'd like to know which airport is.

What does "largest airport city in the world" mean?

Old 06-04-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
What does "largest airport city in the world" mean?
Largest "Airport City" in the world. This determination doesn't focus on numbers of passengers, flights, or the mall like businesses in the terminals, but on the private business generated around the airport. This aspect about DFW leaves Atlanta and the other airports in the dust.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:57 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,066,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
Largest "Airport City" in the world. This determination doesn't focus on numbers of passengers, flights, or the mall like businesses in the terminals, but on the private business generated around the airport. This aspect about DFW leaves Atlanta and the other airports in the dust.
I'm not sure how one would determine that, but if you have some objective source that states that, please provide it. Otherwise, I'll just consider this a typical case of Dallas puffery (which it probably is). DEN is a larger physical airport, ATL has more activity, and airports like DXB and SIN are more important to their regions. Its unclear exactly what you're trying to say here. DFW is a big place and very important to the region, but I'm not sure its the biggest or most important by any metric.

Old 06-04-2023, 02:12 PM

680 posts, read 277,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm not sure how one would determine that, but if you have some objective source that states that, please provide it. Otherwise, I'll just consider this a typical case of Dallas puffery (which it probably is). DEN is a larger physical airport, ATL has more activity, and airports like DXB and SIN are more important to their regions. Its unclear exactly what you're trying to say here. DFW is a big place and very important to the region, but I'm not sure its the biggest or most important by any metric.

One (if the one is Romping Willy Billy) just makes it up. First, one makes up the term; then one makes up the definition of the term; then one assumes the facts as needed to draw the desired conclusion.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:51 AM

After the pandemic and because of the potential for others in the future, is Southwest Airlines going to have to alter their traditional business model by grouping its flights together at just a few major airports? If so, as there isn't room for them at DFW or Love Field, will the airline have to choose another airport like Houston or Denver?

Old 06-06-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
One (if the one is Romping Willy Billy) just makes it up. First, one makes up the term; then one makes up the definition of the term; then one assumes the facts as needed to draw the desired conclusion.
Rather than make up the term "airport city," I could have just presented it as my own novel idea. It isn't. Back when DFW got built, there was a large gap between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. Now the airport sits at the middle of a metropolitan area of 8 million and between two cities of a million. Both West Lake and Las Colinas have become major financial districts. Cypress Waters has developed seemingly overnight. Las Colinas is threatening to overtake Dallas in numbers of major corporate headquarters.
Adding 21,000 employees in five years is rather spectacular growth even by Texas standards
One could use the Spring / The Woodlands / Conroe area in the Houston area as a comparison, but they are located too far from IAH as well as they are located thirty miles away on the outskirts from downtown Houston.
With DFW airport, it's no longer about the number of flights and passengers.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I read about the term "airport city" in an article a long time ago. It used the two airports of Crystal City in Arlington Virginia and DFW. Since that time, DFW airport has matured rather dynamically. The Denver Airport isn't located at the center of the Denver Metropolitan area. Notice how DFW airport has a confluence of freeways and rail connections around it like a downtown area.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:09 PM

690 posts, read 643,620 times
One of the best advantages of DFW is having two cities (Dallas & Fort Worth) with an active stake in its future which in turn has helped the area as a whole, not just one particular city. The problem I see with ATL is that the area is extremely "top heavy" with much of the business in the greater Atlanta metro being located north of the city while the airport is south of the city. There is also little to no interest in the cities north of Atlanta for improving rapid transit to the airport and there is no rail/rapid transit south of Atlanta to the airport. It's highly skewed.

Yes, the Metroplex has sprawl as well, but access to DFW is far better than access to ATL and DEN.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
One of the best advantages of DFW is having two cities (Dallas & Fort Worth) with an active stake in its future which in turn has helped the area as a whole, not just one particular city. The problem I see with ATL is that the area is extremely "top heavy" with much of the business in the greater Atlanta metro being located north of the city while the airport is south of the city. There is also little to no interest in the cities north of Atlanta for improving rapid transit to the airport and there is no rail/rapid transit south of Atlanta to the airport. It's highly skewed.

Yes, the Metroplex has sprawl as well, but access to DFW is far better than access to ATL and DEN.
Exactly. There is more than a million people living east of DFW in Dallas. Another million live south of DFW in Arlington and beyond. Another million lives west in Fort Worth. Then there is another million to the north in Denton County. And, finally, there is another million to the northeast in Collins County. Throw in another three million for good measure. DFW is emersed between millions of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas