Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 AM

53 posts, read 102,631 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me exactly where the "M" streets are? What is the zip? Is it good place to live? (all teen children) Is it in the DISD?
I'm narrowing my search down to Highlands Lake, Canyon Creek and somewhere around White Rock Lake...(I think)

My husband and I are going to Dallas this weekend and I'm trying to focus in on neighborhoods to check out. I'm steering away from the suburbs, eventhough the houses, schools etc. seem wonderful. I just would prefer to be where the neighborhoods are more established....just my cup of tea.
I love older homes but am not limiting my self to only that.

I have had so much feedback from this forum, it is so appreciated and makes me feel that the Dallas "people" are wonderful.

My husband will be working in Duncanville. (we're coming from Canada, hope you all don't mind) Any more information about neighborhoods would be great...I want to be well prepared when I visit this weekend. (price range 450,000 to 600,000)

Thanks again for all your help...forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
It's 75206. It is the area South of Mockingbird Lane and East of Central Expressway. It is DISD, but keep in mind that DISD is huge - look at the schools that specifically feed the area.

Since you're looking at Lake Highlands (where I live), figure I could pass on some other info. We live in 75231. It's in RISD, and the schools that feed our area are considered to be quite good. We live between Skillman and Abrams, just North of Walnut Hill. There is a new development East of Skillman and flanking both sides of Walnut Hill, the Lake Highlands Town Center project (www.lakehighlandstowncenter.com).

While you're in town visiting, a couple places I would recommend eating at:

- In Lake Highlands - Tony's Pizza. It's located in a nondescript strip mall on the North East corner of Ferndale and Northwest Highway. IMO, the best calzone in Dallas. It is a BYOB place, so you can pick up a bottle of wine and bring it into the restaurant, they will uncork it and provide glasses (and not charge for the service). Their prices are great and the food quality is phenominal. The only thing to note is that service is a bit on the slow side, but it is well worth it.

- In Lakewood - Legal Grounds. It's located at the North West corner of Abrams and Gaston. Go for their breakfast. The prom cakes (oatmeal pancakes with slices of bananas cooked inside, with granola and apple praline sauce on top) are great, as well as their "sundae" of granola, fruit and yogurt. Good coffee as well.

- In Knox/Hendersen - Wild about Harry's. Located on Knox street, west of Central Expressway (aka "75", terms used interchangeably). Simply the absolute best hard frozen custard in the world. It's a Dallas institution. Unique old store front, has been around for every. The owner (older gentleman, quite possibly the nicest guy on the planet) is in the store a lot, chatting with customers. Well known for their hot dogs. Hot dogs + custard. Not a health store, but darned good. LOL!

The entire Knox/Hendersen area is quite walkable. There are several other restaurants in the area, including Momo's (italian), Toulouse (french), Ziziki's (greek) and Cafe Madrid (tapas) among many others. Cafe Madrid and Ziziki's are on Travis Street, just South of Knox (walking distance from Harry's). There are so many more we could all recommend, but this should help give you a taste of some of the really good, locally owned options in the general vicinity around where you're checking out.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited by lh_newbie; 08-04-2008 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: updating zip code for M Streets

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
I strongly second all the recommendations listed above. The M Streets are in 75206 and continue to run east into 75214 which is considered to be Lakewood. Yes it is a great place to live.

Welcome to Dallas.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
DOH! You are correct, 75214 is Lakewood; 75206 is M-Streets. I always flip-flop those... editing original post so we don't confuse the OP.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
What highschool feeds into M-street area?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
M Streets really morph into Lakewood. Some people call the whole area Lakewood. It is indeed 75206, but some of the M Streets run into 75214 east of Skillman and Abrams (Mercedes between there is lined with some huge mansions and the original Abrams Estate, which is now owned by one of Trammell Crow (wWw '32) 's sons. Former Mayor Ron Kirk also lives in one of them. Some of that area is covered by Wilshire Heights Neighborhood Association - Dallas :: Home neighborhood association.

Here's M Street site (original name was Greenland Hills): Greenland Hills

An advantage of the area is the proximity and walking distance to all the shops, restaurants and pubs along Lower Greenville (south of Mockingbird). This Corner Market - Dallas, TX, 75206 - Citysearch would be a good place to stop while you are searching - they have Wi-Fi and you can check listings.

Vickery Place is just south of the M-Steets and runs into Knox-Henderson Vickery Place Neigborhood Association most of the homes in that price range would be the new homes built on tear-down lots over the last few years. Some of Vickery Place does not feed into Stonewall Jackson, as does M Streets and Wilshire Heights .

I'm really thinking for your price range you should go to Lakewood Proper (east of Abrams in 75214). Lakewood Neighborhood Association - Dallas - Texas Not as walkable as far as stores and restaurants but very walkable for recreation. It's sometimes called "Mayberry with Money" (still egalitarian) so there is very much a sense of place and community.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
What highschool feeds into M-street area?

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/highzones2008/Wilson2008.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM

53 posts, read 102,631 times
Thankyou.

Is Lake Highlands generally more expensive than Lakewood?
I was focusing in on 75231 and 75243 and there were a couple of houses I noticed in my price range. I'm not really sure of the difference of these two areas except that 75231 is more south...right? Closer to Dallas I guess. Actually one house was 499,000. I would have to take the beautiful flowery wallpaper down and replace the carpet with hardwood mind you, but that's not so bad.
I do like the 75214 neighborhood as well though. I can't wait to get there and "feel" it out. I do like the fact this area is close to White Rock Lake. I would think, especially at this time of the year in Dallas, anywhere close to some water would be somewhat a relief from the heat.

Another question...What exactly are Magnet Schools?

I definitely will look into all the areas you suggested to eat, sounds great.

...Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth924 View Post
Thankyou.
Is Lake Highlands generally more expensive than Lakewood?
Nope. Lakewood is more expensive in price per square foot than Lake Highlands.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Maybe this will help. I would include Glencoe (generally the south part) the blank area south of Mockingbird and what is called Greenland Hills here in M-Streets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas