Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM

72 posts, read 309,459 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My daughter is turning 3 this weekend and we're looking for something fun to do that's on a semi-low key scale. (We're leaving on a vacation to San Antonio next week, so I don't want to plan a huge day trip anywhere.) Last weekend, the St. Ann's Parish carnival in Coppell was completely rained out -- what a bummer. Is there anything fun - local events, etc. - going on this weekend? Just looking for something that might make up for missing out on the pony rides. Thanks for the tips!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
GrapeFest is going on in Grapevine tomorrow through Sunday. It's probably not as low-key as you'd like, but they have an area for the kids and 30 minute rides on the Tarantula Train.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
GrapeFest is going on in Grapevine tomorrow through Sunday. It's probably not as low-key as you'd like, but they have an area for the kids and 30 minute rides on the Tarantula Train.
I was going to recommend that one as well.

You might call the area elementary schools and ask them if they have the dates for their Fall Carnivals. Then you can get familiar with the school she might be attending and run into people in the community and help the school raise some much needed funds. Some do the carnivals in the Fall and some in the Spring. Just call around and check.

Another fun option would be to take in a High School Football game. Low key, inexpensive and again a great community activity. Even the little girls have fun at high school football game by watching the cheerleaders, drill teams and listening to the band.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
If you go a bit to the east to Plano, I bet that she would love to see the all the balloons at the Plano Balloon Festival.

Lots and lots of activities.

Plano Balloon Festival - Plano, Texas

Naima

Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM

All great ideas! We haven't lived here very long, so it's wonderful to know about local events. Is there an online website that posts local activities such as the balloon festival and GrapeFest? I would never have known about either if I hadn't posted the question here.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Go to Dallas Events / Events in Dallas-Fort Worth - GuideLive.com and they put EVERYTHING in there that is going on around the entire area. It is all live music, plays, concerts, festivals, etc and every interest under the sun. Believe me, there is ALWAYS something going on around the metroplex that one can stay BUSY all the time and never get to enjoy it all. You can also probably go to Coppell's home website as well as other cities websites around you and see what local events they have going on.

BTW, last weekend in Grapevine was going to be the Italian Car Festival. It got rained out. Don't know if they reschudeled it for this weekend but it was to have about 300 Italian sports cars It would be nice if they went ahead and put it on.

Since your new to the area then finding out if the local elementary school is going to be having a carnival would be a GREAT way to already get "connected" with the school. The parents and kids you see there in the lower grades will still be there when you start in 2 years. Also find out if there is an Early Childhood PTA in the area. They do more "FUN" events that involve the kids and the whole family - it is not like the regular school PTA stuff. Then whenever there are some home games for the high school on a Friday night, GO! They are a BLAST for the little kids. Cheap entertainment and great family fun.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Such good information to have...I'm bookmarking the site now!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2one View Post
Such good information to have...I'm bookmarking the site now!
Also visit the Nokia Theaters website and get on their email list. They will send you an email of upcoming shows and concerts. Tickets for the Rockets are already on sale.
NOKIA Theatre

The House of Blues will do the same thing.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 169,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Go to Dallas Events / Events in Dallas-Fort Worth - GuideLive.com and they put EVERYTHING in there that is going on around the entire area.
Just remember that event listings in the metroplex are usually sponsor driven.

Go to Dallas Events / Events in Dallas-Fort Worth - GuideLive.com and see if you can easily find anything about Grapefest or the Plano Balloon Festival. Those are two of the biggest recurring metroplex events of the year and they just happen to be going on this weekend. There is brief information on guidelive, but you'll have to work to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas