Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,966 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move my family from the Memphis, TN area to Dallas. I was wondering where would be a good place that is anywhere from 25-45 miles north of Dallas? Need to move North of Dallas as I will be traveling into Oklahoma frequently for business. What are some nice places for.... Schools, shopping, recreational activities, etc? Are there any nice places that are on a lake as i would like to live on the water. My family loves water skiing? Any help is appreciated as I know very little about Dallas/ Fort Worth area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
McKinney, TX.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM

482 posts, read 944,808 times
Frisco, The Colony, Flower Mound maybe Denton

Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,944 times
Highland Village

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,966 times
Thanks for the response. Any specific area or place as far as living on a lake where there is boating & skiing? If so what price range are the homes not only on a lake but just in Mckinney and these other suburbs?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
Default Re:

I don't think McKinney or Frisco will fit the bill very well for a water-skiing family.

Flower Mound would be a very good choice.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis_2009 View Post
Thanks for the response. Any specific area or place as far as living on a lake where there is boating & skiing? If so what price range are the homes not only on a lake but just in Mckinney and these other suburbs?
Highland Village is on a lake (Lake Lewisville), but keep in mind that you will be paying a large sum of cash for a lakefront house there: 1 million and up

Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Nope Big G, Frisco NOR McKinney will put one ON a lake. Nor will other often spouted so called "popular" places for relocatees like Allen or Plano.

Do you want to be able to purchase a house ON the lake and on a lake that will allow you to build a boat dock/house? If so, then Lake Lewisville is out. No one can build a pier or boat dock/house on that lake. You can still buy a lake front property on it but you will have to keep your watercraft at a marina or launch it everytime you want to go. Also keep in mind that Lake Lewisville is one of the MOST populated lakes even during the week. There are a high number of boating and swimming accidents on that lake as well due to the high volume of people on it. I used to frequent this lake all of the time as a child back when it was called Lake Dallas. Now you could not pay me to get on that lake. WAY TOO MANY CRAZY PEOPLE!

Other lakes that are possible are:
Lake Lavon - while this would put you in easy access to get up to Oklahoma and the towns around it are much smaller it is not a big water skiing lake. Much more friendly to the fisherman. You also can't build a pier or boat house/dock on this lake.

Lake Ray Hubbard - Right off of I-30 so getting to the far southeastern part of Oklahoma is very easy. You can build a boat house/dock on this lake. It is another big area lake but not near as crowded as Lewisville Lake. There are several new developments along the shoreline that have docks for you to pull up and get out and dine (check out The Harbor in Rockwall and the area where Bass Pro Shop is in Garland on the lake). You can buy a house on the lake in either: Rockwall, Garland or Rowlett. I prefer Rockwall. Several very nice marinas on the lake as well. We take our SeaDoo's out here often and have enjoyed it. Even on weekends when we have been on it most of the time we are the only pwc's around.

There is also Richland Chambers Lake - I do believe you can build a pier or boat house/dock on this lake???? It is not "in the city" and further away from Dallas but closer to Oklahoma. More of a weekend destination lake and retirees.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis_2009 View Post
You can get a fairly new house in Rockwall or Garland ON the lake from anywhere in the mid-$200's to over $1M. Just depends on what your looking for in a house and lot. Great schools as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 AM

869 posts, read 2,954,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

There is also Richland Chambers Lake - I do believe you can build a pier or boat house/dock on this lake???? It is not "in the city" and further away from Dallas but closer to Oklahoma. More of a weekend destination lake and retirees.
erm...isn't Richland Chambers down by Corsicana, so south of Dallas, not closer to Oklahoma???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas