Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 35,837 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Dallas soon (woohoo!) but I'm trying to determine where we will be happiest. I'm hoping some of you lovely Texans can tell me a bit more about the Park Cities vs. Preston Hollow.

It will be myself, my husband and our one year old daughter. I'm looking for an area with sidewalks in the neighborhood and - let's just say it - friendly neighbors. I do know that this is the general area we'd like to live.

We run our own business, so could work from home or get a nearby office. School is extremely important, so HPISD is a big draw. But my understanding is that PH also has great schools (public & private). PH Elementary, Franklin & Hillcrest. Are those good? Or should we focus exclusively on HPISD?

We are conservatives in our mid-thirties and are looking very forward to making new friends & moving our business to a more tax friendly state. We're Texans at heart and have both lived in TX before (my husband grew up in Tyler).

Can you tell me more about lifestyle in Preston Hollow vs. Highland Park? Are there coffee shops to walk to? If I was out with a stroller one of these cities, could I walk to nearby shopping areas? Is HP Village accessible by walking? Or are all of these areas "car only" to get to anything local?

I can't find much out about Preston Hollow, other than the fact that George & Laura are now there. I'm just wondering where we might be happiest.

Any insight is welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,491 times
What is your budget? Both areas are pricey.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,320,497 times
It comes down to the house itself. It's all located in the same square couple of miles. Highland Park taxes are tough, but a great deal on a house would offset that.

You are going to go to lunches and dinners at Houston's on NW HWY and Preston, that whole corner shopping center area, and up at Mockingbird and Preston is your new favorite mexican restaurant, Mi Cocina. South of Royal, between the tollway and central, all the way to blackburn, is your area -- however, check out the West side of the tollway between mockingbird and royal as well.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
I would pick Highland Park or University Park over Preston Hollow. There aren't sidewalks in a lot of Preston Hollow. You walk/jog in the streets. There isn't the sense of community in Preston Hollow as the vast majority of kids are in private schools - different private schools. Most folks aren't even real clear what the boundaries are for Preston Hollow, or Old Preston Hollow or whatever.

There are pretty parks inside the Park Cities and shops and restaurants - Snider Plaza, up and down Lovers Lane, across the street from SMU, Preston Center, Loma Alto and more.

The public schools in Preston Hollow are Dallas public schools. Hillcrest is one of the better high schools in Dallas - very international school - kids from all over the world. But, really though, the vast majority of the monied kids are in private school.

The home lots are bigger in Preston Hollow generally speaking. The Park Cities have their own police force. If you live in Preston Hollow you are in the city of Dallas. I'm thinking almost all of the neighborhoods in Preston Hollow pay for private security (off duty Dallas officers) to supplement the Dallas PD's services - that the homeowners pay for.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 07-10-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM

That's what I suspected - that PH was not as social/walkable. I really appreciate you letting me know.

Seems it's a buyer's market. Homes in PH are going to be a better "value" right now, but it is impressive that homes in HP and UP are holding their value fairly well.

I have to say, just the few replies I've gotten have been incredibly helpful. HP sounds like a great place to be. Thanks so much!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,807 times
I've often wondered if I can just move into Patrizio's. The chicken & mushroom lasagna is awesome! And of course you have to start with the "crispy goat cheese" appetizer and after you're done, swing into the 1st floor of the theater for some Pacuigo's. Oh man, I have to stop... I'm drooling...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Highland Park taxes are tough, but a great deal on a house would offset that.
Wrong.
Tax Rates (2008):
Dallas 2.51%
Highland Park 1.83%
University Park 1.88%

Source: http://www.davedowns.com/propertytaxes.htm

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

The taxes are indeed better, I'm glad you pointed that out awecelot. My understanding is that the higher value properties end up netting the community more in taxes than other ares, therefore they can offer a lower rate of taxation.

Where we currently live we are being hammered w/ property taxes - not to mention state income tax. Texas (esp an area like HP) will be a breath of fresh air. Thank for for the link to davedowns.com

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM

6,807 posts, read 14,026,504 times
Given the choices I think would go with Highland Park. I think it is a little more compatible for young couples with a family. I think the amenities would be better also. The only draw back in my opinion of Highland Park is there is pretty much zero diversity. This may or may not be a issue for you. Also I think the "keeping up with Jones's is going to be more prevalent in Highland Park". Again this may or may not be a issue with you. Living in Highland Park is somewhat like living in a bubble. I would still choose it over Preston Hollow if I were a young couple. Drive around both areas and see what appeals to you the most.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 11,247 times
Have you already moved?
Because I know some great realtors who could help you, very experienced and work in Preston hollow and hp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas