Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM

53 posts, read 145,878 times

Advertisements

Make sure you are in the Coppell school district, not just the city of Coppell. I would also suggest staying further away from DFW airport and it's approach paths. There are many other good choices near that area with great schools. Grapevine/Colleyville schools and the Flower Mound area schools are all comparable to Coppell's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc757 View Post
Make sure you are in the Coppell school district, not just the city of Coppell. I would also suggest staying further away from DFW airport and it's approach paths. There are many other good choices near that area with great schools. Grapevine/Colleyville schools and the Flower Mound area schools are all comparable to Coppell's.
I think the school thing has been brought up on here a few times already, but is good to repeat. I too love Flower Mound and yes, the schools are similar.

NIta

Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM

53 posts, read 145,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the school thing has been brought up on here a few times already, but is good to repeat. I too love Flower Mound and yes, the schools are similar.

NIta
I would probably prefer the Flower Mound High School area if it were me. That's not to be negative toward Coppell at all.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM

49 posts, read 159,301 times
We moved to Coppell almost a year ago (we relocated from Chicago):
First the pros:
1. Excellent school system. Individual schools are very good too.
2. Central Location to anywhere in DFW area.
3. Very friendly and involved community. Residents volunteer !!!!!
4. City budget under control.
5. Nice running trails and parks. Both very important to us.
6. Diversity.

Cons:
1. I have noticed some aircraft noise specially when close to Belt line and 121. We have not encountered any noise in our neighborhood.
2. Major roads like McArthur, Sandy Lake and Belt line can get crowded during peak hours.
3. People have complained about traffic tickets but so far we have been lucky. Both me and my wife dread the day we will receive a bunch of camera tickets in mail . However I would rather have more cops waiving radar guns over speeding vehicles.
4. Small Lots. We could have gotten a bigger lot size in Southlake, Grapevine-Colleyville etc. but then do I really want to mow the lawn when it is 100F !!!!!

In our case the pros out weighed the cons by a ton. Hope this helps.

Amit

Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc757 View Post
I would probably prefer the Flower Mound High School area if it were me. That's not to be negative toward Coppell at all.
Agree both Coppell High and Flower Mound high are good and comparable. You can rate then by various yardstick like National Merit Scholarship, AP/ SAT score..etc

Flower Mound Area is excellent in family living, biking, trails..etc,specially the Wellington community and you can find a newer/ bigger home in Flower Mound Area. Property taxes are lower. Commute/ Traffic might differ depending on your work place.

House Prices in Coppell / Irving (going to Coppell ISD) are in a flux and should stabilize in a year's time . I know of a builder who increased the new home prices by 20%+ in last 6 months (for the similar homes they built) when home prices are either going down or remaining stagnant in Dallas area.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 AM

171 posts, read 545,999 times
The only problem I have with Coppell High School is the administration. There was a major problem with a teacher of my son's this past year and I went to the counselor and the principal. Nothing seemed to change. I found out later I was not the only parent that had done so!

Paige---there are a few houses I've seen around that are for lease. It would be a pain moving twice but I REALLY wish we had done so

Wanna rent our house?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM

48 posts, read 172,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post

Paige---there are a few houses I've seen around that are for lease. It would be a pain moving twice but I REALLY wish we had done so

Wanna rent our house?

Only if it's under 1800 sqft and you
are willing to move out for a while

Don't beat yourself up for not having rented first because it's fine if young parents want their family to get settled ASAP. Coppell is a good place, you're there, and you didn't have to absorb the cost of breaking a lease. Who, in reality, finds and moves into
a house precisely at the end of a lease term? Craigslist is full of people who are scrambling to find someone to assume their lease. We're retired and have no good reason to rush things. We will probably end up renting an apartment as too many houses for lease are also on the market for sale. Don't want the intrusions, showings ... or suddenly be faced with a new landlord who may want us out, etc. These are probably concerns you had when you bought without renting first and they are all valid, especially when you have children. Good luck to you.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
The only problem I have with Coppell High School is the administration. There was a major problem with a teacher of my son's this past year and I went to the counselor and the principal. Nothing seemed to change. I found out later I was not the only parent that had done so!

Wanna rent our house?
i wouldn't worry about not renting first. Any problems you have had could have happened after you rented and then purchased. I think for kids it is better to get settled asap.

As for having a teacher problem and not getting satisfaction, this can happen in any school system.

Nita

Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
As for having a teacher problem and not getting satisfaction, this can happen in any school system.
yep, and as a parent of a high schooler and having an issue with a teacher... ALL I can say is KEEP on it. Get your other parents together and bug the admin like crazy!! After working as a group for 9 weeks with a problem teacher (we had many parents and loads of facts) We did FINALLY get the Admin to relieve the teacher.

It was a sad victory because the teacher had begining stages of Alzheimer's. I had empathy ofr the gentleman BUT..he should have NEVER been put in a classroom situation. Our Admin had know about problems in the previoius year and since he was a vetern teacher thought it would be OK for him to remain in the postion, but teacheing freshman instead of seniors!
Also we had a chnage in Admin Leadership..so it was his first year as well.

But I digress... just keep involved.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 26,382 times
Agree with most of the stuff mentioned in the previous posts.

I'm nitpicking here, but a couple of issues I have with Coppell:

1. the farmer's market sucks. There are hardly any stalls that are interesting. You could always goto the Dallas farmers market.
2. Housing inventory was terrible, so if you're particular about certain features, it may take many months to find the right house.

Also, the pictures on MLS are sometimes misleading, so be prepared to make several trips here before finalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas