Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:11 PM

109 posts, read 611,429 times

Advertisements

Honestly now, do y'all "regular folk" shop at Gucci & Chanel? And all the designer stores?

Is this a big focus in the Dallas area, designer clothing, who has the newest BMW or Lexus, better gold bracelets, biggest diamond rings, who is blondest, thinnest and who has the best plastic surgeon, etc.?

Clue me in now... I was truly hoping that the bigger better faster more more more mentality was not prevalent in the Great State of Texas. It certainly is alive and well here in Northern Va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:55 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,369 times
Quote:
Clue me in now... I was truly hoping that the bigger better faster more more more mentality was not prevalent in the Great State of Texas
Yes, you will find that mentality in Dallas. If there is one city in Texas where brand names and nice cars "matter," Dallas is it. I find that there are lots of people living beyind their means in Dallas just to keep up with the Joneses (who are also living above their means!). However, there are also lots of nice people in Dallas who couldn't care less about that stuff.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,369 times
And one more thing....
Quote:
better gold bracelets
Gold bracelets are SOOOO... '80's. Don't be caught dead in gold (especially yellow gold!). If you really want to impress, go platinum or go home.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
My wife wears nice clothes, Liz, Anne Taylor, etc. But she doesn't shop retail. We've discovered that a number of obsessive shoppers buy clothes in her size and donate them, with the tags still on, to Goodwill and the Salvation Army. It's Gucci living on a Walmart budget!

As far as cars go, I have an Excursion and '97 VW Jetta. I'm not sure what message that sends to my neighbors.....

Old 04-28-2007, 08:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Or you can go to Valley View mall and shop with us normal people. Valley view has a more normal macy's and Dillard's than the upscale ones at Northpark and the Galleria. If you wait for a good sale at Macy's you can get name brand (ralph lauren, Nautica, ect.) for less than the cheap stuff at wal-mart!

Old 04-29-2007, 03:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
You're from northern Virginia. There's plenty of upscale shopping there. Look at Tyson's II with Hugo Boss, Burberry, Chanel, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Tommy Bahama, Ralph Lauren, Bally, Salvatore Ferragamo and so on.

Just up the street from there you have Fairfax Square with Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci and so on.

Seriously though Dallas is a fashion mecca. I love strolling through Highland Park Village when I'm in Dallas.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:59 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
Or you can wait and pick it up at The Rack, Marshalls or Ross

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
You have to realize that Dallas is one of the major metros in the USA, and people with wealth and a taste for luxury want to live there. This does not mean that all of Dallas' 6 million people shop at expensive boutiques and drive luxury cars. Only a small minority of Dallas' population can afford that. But that small fraction is enough to support the high end shops in Northpark, the Galleria, Highland Park Village, etc.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
There are plenty of regular stores in Northpark and the Galleria that everyone shops at. You can also find great sales at upscale stores and pay "regular" prices for much higher quality merchandise. Interesting you'd start a thread like this when these stores are very small in number compared to "regular" stores in the metroplex.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Shopping in general is one of the things this area is known for, so it makes sense to lump alot of really nice upscale stores in there as well to complete the effect (excellent marketing). And don't kid yourself, there is alot of old money in these parts. Combine this with a plethora of good paying white collar jobs, strong small business and low cost of living; expendable income is pretty good for the most part around here. I've never met so many people that go on vacation so frequently. Maybe I'm just used to house poor socal people. Also, don't a couple of the large retailers have their HQ here ?

I'm still trying to figure out how they afford to keep 'The Shops at Willow Bend' open. That place seems to never have alot of people in it....with the exception of the little kids play area (it's always packed). You can barely move in the Frisco Mall it's so crowded. Maybe Willow Bend went too upscale and needs more 'Old Navy' type stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: