Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
... when we closed on our home 15 years ago did not have a permit and the sewer connection that was done in 1962 did not have a certificate.
We went through that when I was selling my parent's home. They bought it in 1980 and the house included a Florida room attached to the back of the house, a bathroom downstairs in the basement and a few other items that were in the sales contract ... but NOT in the original plans written in the 1940's! Therefore they were not listed on the Certificate of Occupancy. It cost me THOUSANDS in architect's drawings, engineers, plumbing inspectors, electric inspectors, permits and fees and more for stuff that was built before my parents even knew the home existed! (And it took MONTHS to get all these "professionals" to perform the work necessary to make it all "legal".)

Things like this are typical New York money grabs, just like the extra $25 a year I pay for each car registration because the Metropolitan Transit Authority needed a cash infusion. Because I have the luxury of owning a car, I get to shell out $50 a year so that others can ride the Metro North and the subway in New York City! And for the record, NONE of the modes of transport offered by the MTA travels into my county!

Back to the original question of how New York (specifically) compares to Delaware? It doesn't. Delaware wins, hands down!

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 06-04-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Bumpkin badge--LOL!!!
Wear it with pride!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times
When I married my wife many years ago and her kids were walking through metal detectors going to school in surburban Phila we simply packed up and moved to Sussex County. 20 years later I still am not making the money or benefits I had with my union job. No regrets . I can't think of a better place to raise my son.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
Although state politics in Delaware suffers from its share of controversies, minor scandals, tempests in teapots, and venal corruption, the overall tone is more moderate, cooperative, less vitriolic than so many other places. In general, politicians here don't seem to be boorish loudmouths. The ascendent political culture in the state is presently socially progressive but fiscally moderate, which very much suits me. Although Delaware was somewhat more conservative in the past, as far as I can understand the overall tenor of political culture was still quite moderate, Mike Castle's long political tenure being a prime expression of that.

I can contrast the political culture here with what has happened in Texas in recent years, where at the state level politicians have degenerated into obnoxious, reactionary windbags who blow hard on themes of nullification and secession, while ignoring the state's very real problems. Although local politics in most of the larger cities in Texas are ok, at the state level things are so conservative and frankly reactionary that I could never live there again.

By the same token, you can contrast politics in Delaware with some of the sounds emanating from politicians in states like New York, or from the violent "activists" and hate-mongers (private groups rather than politicians) in Kansas. Political culture in Delaware is far more civilised than many other places in the USA.

And I personally think our governor and General Assembly are doing a very good job! The problems here seem to be more in the state bureaucracies and in various quarters of the county and municipal governments. However, the small size of Delaware doesn't provide much place to hide questionable practices and deal-making, even if correcting such structural-institutional problems may be a more difficult thing than publicising them.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM

407 posts, read 967,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
In essence, you've got it good, but perhaps you don't know how good you've got it! That's not meant to be a negative comment at all. I can make some comparisons to New York in my brief experience in dealing with Delaware "processes" and the term user-friendly is perfectly applied.

New York is a disaster. Nothing is easy. Not the DMV, not any of the town governments, certainly not the state agencies and most of the systems are malfunctioning at best ... and possibly failing in some instances. Because of bureaucracies, turf-battles and wasted money, the bridges and roadways are distressed, the healthcare system is bloated and inefficient, and the school districts are heading toward financial ruin.

If my plans come through as I've written them, I'm thirteen months away from seeing New York in my rear view mirror for the last time (as a resident) and I won't be complaining at all. And the smile that will fill my face as I cross the St. Georges Bridge will be as wide as the canal below it!
Wow...we are in the same boat. I have been in NY all of my life. You described it perfectly and accurately! I am planning a move to DE next summer just like you too....actually I'm ready now, but my wife and daughter are not ready. As far as NY, no matter what the problem is...the government thinks raising taxes is the only answer....property taxes and ALL taxes are just too high. NYC is over rated. It's taken over 10 years and the World Trade Center site is still not rebuilt...any other State and that would have been done years ago sorry to say (RIP Amy). I am still not sure where in DE we will be moving, but a couple more trips and I think we will know. Good luck with your plans...I hope they work out for you.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I am still not sure where in DE we will be moving, but a couple more trips and I think we will know. Good luck with your plans...I hope they work out for you.
Thanks so much. Good luck with yours as well. I'm also ready today - but my wife has one more year of work to complete before she can retire.

We know exactly where we're going ---> to Magnolia in 404 days ... assuming I find a buyer that fits into my very well-researched, carefully considered and very detailed plans ... lol. (Obviously, there's lot's of room for flexibility, but right now, the perfect plan has us moving 404 days from now, not that I'm counting, you understand. )

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 06-04-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 PM

297 posts, read 743,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thanks so much. Good luck with yours as well. I'm also ready today - but my wife has one more year of work to complete before she can retire.

We know exactly where we're going ---> to Magnolia in 404 days ... assuming I find a buyer that fits into my very well-researched, carefully considered and very detailed plans ... lol. (Obviously, there's lot's of room for flexibility, but right now, the perfect plan has us moving 404 days from now, not that I'm counting, you understand. )
Is that your site, Charley? Congrats!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Although state politics in Delaware suffers from its share of controversies, minor scandals, tempests in teapots, and venal corruption, the overall tone is more moderate, cooperative, less vitriolic than so many other places. In general, politicians here don't seem to be boorish loudmouths. The ascendent political culture in the state is presently socially progressive but fiscally moderate, which very much suits me. Although Delaware was somewhat more conservative in the past, as far as I can understand the overall tenor of political culture was still quite moderate, Mike Castle's long political tenure being a prime expression of that.

I can contrast the political culture here with what has happened in Texas in recent years, where at the state level politicians have degenerated into obnoxious, reactionary windbags who blow hard on themes of nullification and secession, while ignoring the state's very real problems. Although local politics in most of the larger cities in Texas are ok, at the state level things are so conservative and frankly reactionary that I could never live there again.

By the same token, you can contrast politics in Delaware with some of the sounds emanating from politicians in states like New York, or from the violent "activists" and hate-mongers (private groups rather than politicians) in Kansas. Political culture in Delaware is far more civilised than many other places in the USA.

And I personally think our governor and General Assembly are doing a very good job! The problems here seem to be more in the state bureaucracies and in various quarters of the county and municipal governments. However, the small size of Delaware doesn't provide much place to hide questionable practices and deal-making, even if correcting such structural-institutional problems may be a more difficult thing than publicising them.

Except for the Dr. Bradley fiasco, I'd say your dead on.

Last edited by James420; 06-04-2011 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: f

Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,022 times
Well, NY sounds like heck on earth, my goodness. I'm happy to say that my husband and I would never live any further north than Lewes. Must always live close to the beach .

Charley--Looks like a great area to live in!!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Is that your site, Charley? Congrats!
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Well, NY sounds like heck on earth, my goodness. I'm happy to say that my husband and I would never live any further north than Lewes. Must always live close to the beach .

Charley--Looks like a great area to live in!!
So far, the people who already live there love it.

New York is a tough place. There is definitely an edge. I lived the first half of my life in the city itself, and the second half in a suburb about an hour north, but stilk worked in or near the city. I plan to leave that "New York edge" here when we move and blend right in with all you folks who proudly wear that "bumpkin badge". I'm hoping that if I do it right, I can earn one of those badges for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware