Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM

153 posts, read 319,243 times

Advertisements

Nuts2uiam makes a very good point in that one needs to look at the details if you really want a good house.

In addition to the truss vs framed, one also should look at who is building the home and what is going into the home.

For example, I believe Lessard Builders has the Amish frame the homes, so it should be quality workmanship. Some other builders use whoever is available and may not be consistently constructing a good home.

Also, it's very important to look at the functional equipment used in the home, such as whether they install low quality HVAC, instead of a Trane system, for example. In talking to service companies, some have expressed that certain builders use low quality equipment and for me its obvious when you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaponies View Post
Nuts2uiam makes a very good point in that one needs to look at the details if you really want a good house.

In addition to the truss vs framed, one also should look at who is building the home and what is going into the home.

For example, I believe Lessard Builders has the Amish frame the homes, so it should be quality workmanship. Some other builders use whoever is available and may not be consistently constructing a good home.

Also, it's very important to look at the functional equipment used in the home, such as whether they install low quality HVAC, instead of a Trane system, for example. In talking to service companies, some have expressed that certain builders use low quality equipment and for me its obvious when you look at it.

I agree, Seaponies.
Just one comment, as a native of this state, and one working within the real estate/construction profession, please everyone...do your own research. Delaware locals/natives are more than happy to share their knowledge......sometimes accumulated over a lifetime of experience, both personal and professional. We live here, which is a big plus.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM

23 posts, read 52,080 times
Default Interesting

I think it's obvious Nancydel works for Insight Homes given that he/she has one post ever and wrote a novel touting the benefits of Insight Homes over all of the other builders. Here's a tip, go to an Insight Homes community, ask someone who has actually bought an Insight Home what we think. The majority of us who have purchased Insight Homes would tell you to stay as far away as possible from Insight!

One guy who bought an Insight Home in Bayfront at Rehoboth had such a bad experience with Insight Homes, he built a website dedicated to all of the problems in his home. It was itsjustabadhouse.com funny enough. Until Insight Homes and their lawyers got him to take it down. But I hear in order to get him to take the itsjustabadhouse.com site down, they had to buy his house back for nearly double the price they sold it to him in the first place. On second thought.... maybe I should build a website and have Insight buy my house back for double what I paid for it and go buy another home from a real builder.

Web developers, please message me :-)

Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM

242 posts, read 231,510 times
I do not work for Insight, but I own an Insight Home. My experience, and those to whom I've spoken both in my community and in at least 5 other communities, has been positive. I think SMcGlynn and I have gone back and forth about the on demand water system, but I have to say my neighbors and I have not run into any freezing up problem. We made sure to insulate our garage on all walls so as to avoid any such problems. We were in our home this winter when the temps were well below freezing and nothing bad happened. When buying a new house there are bound to be little things that come up that have to be addressed: i.e. one kitchen cabinet rubbed against a piece of molding and had to be fixed. Insight sent someone out and fixed it. There was a separation in the tile in the shower seat that we had built which had to be re-grouted. Again, they sent someone out and did what had to be done. There was a little tear on one of the window screens which had to be replaced. Insight sent someone out and took care of it, without blinking an eye.

I love how cool my home is staying so far....the a/c hardly has to be turned on. The bills are much lower than I was used to in NJ. The windows are great. I know this because I have these solar lights in a jar that do not charge up when I put them on the window sill. The UV rays are shielded by the glass. I have to place them out on the deck. The house is so tight that you cannot hear when it's raining outside. One neighbor did complain that Insight didn't provide a very good landscape package and he said the grass they provided was junk...but, our grass came in fine because we watered it daily, and our landscaping around the house is doing well. They recently delivered a cherry tree for the front yard that we were not even expecting.

This is the fifth house I have owned. By far, it is the best quality built home I've lived in.

I spoke to one saleslady in a store that was complaining about buckling in her wood floors that Insight put in her house. As the conversation progressed come to find out she was using a floor steamer on the wood floor.....THAT is what caused the buckling. If she had read the floor care manual she would have known not to use steam on a wood floor. There is a special wood cleaning product they recommend. I bought a bunch of bottles online and the floor is doing very well. Sometimes (not all times), it is human error causing problems or the owner has unrealistic expectations. I tell all my family and friends about Insight.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:36 PM

34 posts, read 74,034 times
SMcGlynn is of the opinion he can speak for most insight owners, however, I own an insight home as do twelve of my neighbors and all are happy with insight. Maybe there are some people you just can't make happy. And if my house was as bad as he professes his is I would certainly hire an attorney. As far as insight buying back the house at double the price, while I'm really happy with my insight home, sign me up for the buy back. I'll sell mine for double the price in a minute and then build another. I guess I'm just not buying that story without proof.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:54 AM

23 posts, read 52,080 times
Another Customer Review...
RUN RUN ! - Review by Guest | Insight Homes

RUN RUN ! 3/18/2016
SubmitSubmitSubmitSubmitSubmitGuest
Buying this house was a mistake, if i was to sell this house one year after purchase i would take over 100,000 $ loss. This is a slam up box, with good windows and high end heat pump. There is no craftsmanship at all, greedy builder,slimy sales people,good marketing, thats it. I would like to say low taxes will never cover the problems.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Default Advice from Insight Home Owners?

@ RUN RUN ! Where is the home you bought and what year was it built? To all other Insight Home owners, I am getting closer to retirement and am considering their new development, Hawthorne or possibly waiting for another development. This thread certainly seems to have as many negative as positive reviews and I don't want to have any buyers remorse. Does anyone on here have more advice as to what they would do differently in their Insight home (that is, if they are one of the happy homeowners)? Different model, layout, add-ons, location, etc. Of course, I know that those unhappy wish they would have used another builder. And in that case, who would you choose now and why?

Old 08-11-2016, 02:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwoG View Post
@ RUN RUN ! Where is the home you bought and what year was it built? To all other Insight Home owners, I am getting closer to retirement and am considering their new development, Hawthorne or possibly waiting for another development. This thread certainly seems to have as many negative as positive reviews and I don't want to have any buyers remorse. Does anyone on here have more advice as to what they would do differently in their Insight home (that is, if they are one of the happy homeowners)? Different model, layout, add-ons, location, etc. Of course, I know that those unhappy wish they would have used another builder. And in that case, who would you choose now and why?
This is slightly off topic but still on point. Before you buy into a new community be sure you understand all the financial considerations that "might/might not" entail. Just ask anyone who bought in the Peninsula of that saga and your hair will hurt. Not trying to be a profit of doom, just want to warn of the potential pitfalls of a not bailout community regardless of which builder you use.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:01 PM

439 posts, read 425,292 times
We are so grateful for this input. Is there a list of past communities that insight builders completed? I know that most websites show the new communities that are being built. I was just curious about what they built in the past.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:55 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is slightly off topic but still on point. Before you buy into a new community be sure you understand all the financial considerations that "might/might not" entail. Just ask anyone who bought in the Peninsula of that saga and your hair will hurt. Not trying to be a profit of doom, just want to warn of the potential pitfalls of a not bailout community regardless of which builder you use.

Sorry that was supposed to be built out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware