Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,769 times

Advertisements

Well, after doing extensive research, the fact that Delaware has the 2nd highest cancer rating in the country has made me re-think this transfer. I would still love to move to DE but am nervous about the health risks. Does anyone have any info on this ranking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lccferrell View Post
Well, after doing extensive research, the fact that Delaware has the 2nd highest cancer rating in the country has made me re-think this transfer. I would still love to move to DE but am nervous about the health risks. Does anyone have any info on this ranking?
If this is something that really concerns you, I'd suggest you look into both the CDC data and Delaware's own data.

CDC link: CDC - Cancer - Data and Statistics - Cancer Rates by State
Delaware: Public Health: Cancer Statistics

Cancer rates in general are higher on the east coast than elsewhere in the country. They are above the average in Delaware (5.0% incidence) and also in West Virginia where you live (4.8%) vs. the US average of 4.6%.

I haven't found any solid explanations for the higher east coast rates, but I haven't really researched it. To me the difference is too small to worry about, but you may be more concerned about the differences and wish to pursue in greater depth.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Maybe it's all that chicken manure everyone is talking about!

Old 02-15-2015, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 19,036 times
We still haven't decided on where to live. There are nice areas close to the beach, but further from Salisbury. Living in an apartment for now. I'm very happy with our decision to move here.

Steelers_Gurl

Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
New York family looking to move to Delaware within the next 8 to 14 months. Seeking a builder that is trustworthy, honest, will work with you, someone who is willing to make adjustments and not seeking to milk you. Bought a house in the Poconos before with a company called Falcon-Crest ([url=http://www.falcon-crest.com]Falcon Crest Homes | Pocono Home Builders | 2 New Developments[/url]) the owner Sal was awesome. However the taxes in PA are atrocious, seeking to move to Delaware but somewhere not in the flood zone. Is there anyone who commutes to NYC? What are restaurants like in the business district ? Are there any Caribbean restaurants?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
Hi Shaine,

Granted Delaware is a small state, but it would be very helpful if you could include what part of Delaware you are thinking about moving to.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,262,222 times
Shaine,
Frankly, it doesn't matter where you're considering in Delaware, if you will be working in New York. There's not a square inch of the state that is a reasonable commute to NYC.

Check the Amtrak schedule, Wilmington (WIL) to Penn Station (NYP) at Amtrak - Reservations - Fare Finder. Two hours each way. Half an hour less on the much-pricier Acela. If you could telecommute most days, it might be reasonable. But do you really want to commute five hours every day, considering travel time to/from stations?

Or was that just a random question about people commuting to NYC?

Cut and paste this template, then answer the questions, to get more helpful information:

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Beaches or City?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Shaine,
SNIPPED.....

Cut and paste this template, then answer the questions, to get more helpful information:

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Own or Land Lease

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Beaches or City?
This is a great tool and I have added one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware