Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 03:49 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Just saw this on WRDE.

The Pond is moving out of Downtown Rehoboth.

The Pond Rehoboth

We understand that rumors have been circulating for several weeks now about whether The Pond is moving. We are excited to confirm with everyone that The Pond will indeed be relocating to Route 1 in 2021.

Founded in 1982, Frogg Pond Tavern quickly became the “Cheers” bar of Rehoboth Beach. A few years later it doubled in size and in 2005 it expanded once again. And through it all, The Pond has been the place “where the locals hang out”. Needless to say, to leave this location after nearly 40 years was a very difficult decision. However, following several weeks of informal surveys, much deliberation, and amid lots of speculation, we decided moving to Route 1 was a fantastic opportunity for our customers, our staff and for The Pond. So, we will be relocating in early 2021 to The Shops At Sea Coast Plaza, specifically to the space recently occupied by TGI Fridays.

The reason for our move to Route 1 is a simple one: location. The majority of our customers reside in the many neighborhoods situated off of Route 1. The Shops At Sea Coast Plaza is centrally located and offers a large parking lot and plenty of free parking, perfect for growing our carry out and delivery service. We also look forward to building new relationships with our neighbors along Route 1 and with local organizations. And, in this new home, we will continue to support our local music community with plans to build a stage, install a superior sound system and offer an expanded dance area.
We will roll out more details about our future plans over the next couple of months. We know change can be tough, but we promise that The Pond will remain the place “where the locals hang out”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 02:20 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Thanks for the information, Nuts! It's a little sad that these restaurants are leaving the downtown Rehoboth area for locations on Coastal Highway, but with the steady increase of developments and more locals, it makes sense. I've heard the rents in downtown Rehoboth are astronomical and wonder how they compare to these locations on Coastal Highway - such as Jakes or TGIF, though some may be buying their property - or building, in the case of Nicola. With the increasing year round population, I guess it was a matter of time before some restaurants would want to transition from a heavy dependence on tourist business to a year round business from local residents, now that there are more of us.

All that said, the downtown Rehoboth area has so much charm and I hope the restaurants are able to successfully make the transition from that area to new locations along Coastal Highway.

Last edited by lyndyb; 11-18-2020 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Thanks for the information, Nuts! It's a little sad that these restaurants are leaving the downtown Rehoboth area for locations on Coastal Highway, but with the steady increase of developments and more locals, it makes sense. I've heard the rents in downtown Rehoboth are astronomical and wonder how they compare to these locations on Coastal Highway - such as Jakes or TGIF, though some may be buying their property - or building, in the case of Nicola. With the increasing year round population, I guess it was a matter of time before some restaurants would want to transition from a heavy dependence on tourist business to a year round business from local residents, now that there are more of us.

All that said, the downtown Rehoboth area has so much charm and I hope the restaurants are able to successfully make the transition from that area to new locations along Coastal Highway.
I am so sorry that we are seeing these restaurants leave the downtown area. I know that three of the biggest reasons are the greedy landlords (Not in Nicola's case as they own the building), the lack of parking and hand in hand with that, the cost of same. I can honestly say that the businesses have not had much support from the city council, although in the recent past they did respond in terms of the pandemic, albeit slowly.

The Business community has been begging for a parking garage and it was discussed for the area between the convention center, Rehoboth Avenue and the Breakers Hotel, but when push came to shove, it was not thought to be a good answer.

I recall a few years ago when the Rehoboth Kite and Toy Company who had been on the Avenue for 20 years decided to move across the street rather than pay the increase that was being demanded by the landlord. Sadly, this year their other space on the boardwalk near Virgiana Avenue, where they have been for 30 years, may be their last there, as Covid has taken its' toll on them and they have fallen behind in the mortgage payments. Foreclosure has begun on the boardwalk space.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 AM

You are so right, nuts!

One of our favorite shops has moved from one side of Rehoboth Avenue to the other for the very same reason as Rehoboth Kite and Toy company moved - and told us they'd had to do it multiple times over the years. The owners of another store told us what their rent had been before they'd moved to a different location and we were shocked. I've never owned a business, much less in a tourist area, but we simply didn't know how they could possibly make a profit/living. Add the pandemic to the mix and I can see how it may quickly get to the point where they can't even meet their bills.

We've resumed walking in downtown Rehoboth and many days we go into a shop or two. It's a rare day that we don't find something we wind up buying. Most of the stores have really nice quality and unusual merchandise and supporting the area businesses has not been a sacrifice by any stretch of the imagination because we've picked up things we love.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:13 PM

I saw an article in the Cape Gazette that Duck Donuts opened on 12/12 - located on Wilmington Avenue. I guess this isn't actually restaurant news, but food news - but close enough!! https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-dec-12/212693

A restaurant in our neighbor, Ocean City, MD, is closing after 40 years - BJ's on the Water at 76th Street (on the bay). The property has been sold, apparently to another restaurant resort group that owns Ropewalk - and demolished and another building constructed. I'm sad to see them go, as they've always been open year round and we've eaten there many times over the years. But the owner/operators must be getting up there in age.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-dec-12/212693

Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM

And the answer is: the former Burger King is the new home of the first brick and mortar "Taco Reho".

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...mgee-source=dh

Old 01-22-2021, 03:03 PM

This isn't restaurant news, but it IS food news .... the Cape Gazette reports we're getting an Aldi's in Rehoboth where the KMart used to be - next to And That! Nuts - this is good news for you, as I understand the produce is very reasonable. I consider this an upgrade - KMart to Aldi's! YAY!

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...ehoboth/214425

Last edited by lyndyb; 01-22-2021 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Added Link to the Article in Cape Gazette

Old 01-22-2021, 03:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Hi, Lyn! We have two (2) Aldi's, one in North Dover and one in Camden. I went to the Camden one, only one time. It's not for me, since it's located about a short block from our Super WalMart where everything is cheaper. Second choice for me, closeby, is Redner's, about 4 walkable blocks from us. Their produce is very nice, and I pay a little more, only until our Amish Farms and Fifer's provide fresh home-grown produce.

When I went to Aldi's in Camden, I couldn't find what I needed, so I looked for an exit out of there. The only exits I saw were through the check out aisles. Only one check-out person was there, and she had a long line of people. I tried to go through one of those unattended aisles and each one had a locked gate. By then, I was panicking, so I did what I had to do to get out of there....climbed over one of the gates. I was sure I would make the newspaper the next day:
"Robbery Thwarted...80 Year Old Woman Escapes Aldi Without Merchandise by Climbing Over Security Gate"

Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 PM

Hi Rdlr! That would have made quite a story, especially if someone had a picture!! Good for you for being limber enough to climb over one of the gates!! I can definitely see why you'd take the other options.

I've never shopped at an Aldi's, but I have a sister in MD and a friend in FL who rave on them. So I'll have to suspend judgment until I've had a chance to check it out. It sounds like you have a lot of really good choices close to you - I'm quite envious!! With Super WalMart and Redner locations are a bit of a drive for us - not a huge distance, but not convenient for regular shopping, so I'm glad to have another option within a few miles.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:10 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
That's a funny story, rdlr!!

I am excited about the Aldi's. I've shopped at one in Salisbury and liked it. They have some food items I haven't seen before. I'm a big fan of And That! as well so it works for me that they are next to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware