Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 09:30 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times

Advertisements

There will be fireworks at Bally’s (speedway) tonight. Will these be visible from other places nearby on 13? I’d prefer a place with easy parking and egress after the fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:57 AM

242 posts, read 231,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I considered the tulip dig for this morning for about a nano second and decided to skip it. I have done it twice and having clay soil I have only yielded 1 tulip out of maybe 200. It is just too chilly for me, today.

I did the tulip dig for the third time. The first year after the dig I planted all the bulbs with very few tulips the next year. The second time I listened to one of the "Lewis In Bloom" volunteers and I dried out the bulbs, stored them over the summer and planted them in the fall. There were excellent results. So, the lesson I learned is that tulips must be dug up, rested and planted in the fall. So, my garage floor is a sea of dry tulip bulbs. I'm going to put them all in old panty hose and hang them from our metal shelves and plant them this fall. I love that Lewes does this each year!

Old 06-18-2022, 06:51 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
I did the tulip dig for the third time. The first year after the dig I planted all the bulbs with very few tulips the next year. The second time I listened to one of the "Lewis In Bloom" volunteers and I dried out the bulbs, stored them over the summer and planted them in the fall. There were excellent results. So, the lesson I learned is that tulips must be dug up, rested and planted in the fall. So, my garage floor is a sea of dry tulip bulbs. I'm going to put them all in old panty hose and hang them from our metal shelves and plant them this fall. I love that Lewes does this each year!
I agree. Had no luck except for the one lone tulip. But, my sister has gorgeous tulips and she simply brushed all the old dirt off and stored them in a cut case boxes (when a store cuts the full case down to maybe 3 inches to display the goods) so they had good air circulation and then planted them in the fall. I did the same and had no luck, so I am convinced that the soil has too much clay. I can't kneel long enough to amend each hole properly so I am done with Tulips but will continue to promote this fabulous idea.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up Willey Farm in Townsend

I had just moved to Delaware shortly before Wiley Farm was destroyed in a huge fire, so I was never there until today. I knew they had been re-building and making a comeback. Today, while driving by, I decided to stop in. The place is absolutely beautiful with a pedestrian bridge leading to a cut-your-own flower garden and ice cream stand. The “old barn” is now a gift shop with garden decor and bird feeding supplies, along with pet food and toys, preserves and honey. There are beautiful greenhouses to visit and a short distance away, a farm market with fresh produce. It is right on Route 13 in Townsend, on the northbound side of the road, and definitely worth visiting.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I had just moved to Delaware shortly before Wiley Farm was destroyed in a huge fire, so I was never there until today. I knew they had been re-building and making a comeback. Today, while driving by, I decided to stop in. The place is absolutely beautiful with a pedestrian bridge leading to a cut-your-own flower garden and ice cream stand. The “old barn” is now a gift shop with garden decor and bird feeding supplies, along with pet food and toys, preserves and honey. There are beautiful greenhouses to visit and a short distance away, a farm market with fresh produce. It is right on Route 13 in Townsend, on the northbound side of the road, and definitely worth visiting.
I've been there often. But, I miss the old store that had a restaurant at one end of the produce section. Now, Wiley's has a separate building a few hundred yards north of their new structure where they sell sandwiches and lunch specials.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I've been there often. But, I miss the old store that had a restaurant at one end of the produce section. Now, Wiley's has a separate building a few hundred yards north of their new structure where they sell sandwiches and lunch specials.
I saw that, but had picked up dinner at Dutch Country Farmers Market in Middletown. I did pick up a few items in the produce sales area. They had S Carolina peaches, but I will wait for Fifer’s peaches. I am glad they are making a comeback from the fire.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:07 PM

It's a shame, that Ronnie's Garden World changed hands in Smyrna. That and Willey Farms were always my go-to places in that area. The new owners of Ronnie's have some very high prices for landscaping products and garden supplies.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:12 PM

Wyoming Peach Festival is always the first Saturday in August.... This year, August 6th. Parade starts at 9 a.m. and the route is West on Camden-Wyoming Avenue, ending at the railroad tracks....(site of the Peach Festival). I understand there will be no bus transportation to Fifer's. They discontinued that a couple of years ago, due to safety hazards/railroad tracks, etc.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
It's a shame, that Ronnie's Garden World changed hands in Smyrna. That and Willey Farms were always my go-to places in that area. The new owners of Ronnie's have some very high prices for landscaping products and garden supplies.
I saw a red shamrock (Oxala) in a plastic pot for $9.99. I got my red one at Lidl for about $2 and my traditional green one for 50 cents at Produce Junction after St Patrick’s Day. The prices are very high there.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Wyoming Peach Festival is always the first Saturday in August.... This year, August 6th. Parade starts at 9 a.m. and the route is West on Camden-Wyoming Avenue, ending at the railroad tracks....(site of the Peach Festival). I understand there will be no bus transportation to Fifer's. They discontinued that a couple of years ago, due to safety hazards/railroad tracks, etc.
It is on my calendar and I even have a peach festival t-shirt I bought in town hall last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware