Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 06:36 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times

Advertisements

Yes, Retiree 2011!

I've been to Indian Point to shop, and also attended a political fundraiser there a few months ago. It's a good place for veggies.

I'm a big Willey's Farm customer from 20 some years ago! I remember how nice it was before the fire, and the gift shop area was one of my favorite places. I was at the newer one again, last week, and I'll have to admit, this one is bigger and better than the old one! I bought all my supertunias there, and much more. I hated to leave there but my cart was full, and my debit card was "tired". It is an absolute wonderland! I also went to Peppers near Milton a couple of weeks ago. How dissappointing that place was, compared to Willey's! Peppers' flowers were wilted, scattered about, and everything was out of order. The aisles are narrow, and the one-person necessary room wasn't fit for a pig. I won't waste my time going there again. Glad you enjoyed Willey's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 08:52 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Yes, Retiree 2011!

I've been to Indian Point to shop, and also attended a political fundraiser there a few months ago. It's a good place for veggies.

I'm a big Willey's Farm customer from 20 some years ago! I remember how nice it was before the fire, and the gift shop area was one of my favorite places. I was at the newer one again, last week, and I'll have to admit, this one is bigger and better than the old one! I bought all my supertunias there, and much more. I hated to leave there but my cart was full, and my debit card was "tired". It is an absolute wonderland! I also went to Peppers near Milton a couple of weeks ago. How dissappointing that place was, compared to Willey's! Peppers' flowers were wilted, scattered about, and everything was out of order. The aisles are narrow, and the one-person necessary room wasn't fit for a pig. I won't waste my time going there again. Glad you enjoyed Willey's!

I was there a few times last summer when the cutting garden was open. I was taking photos and there were so many butterflies. I will go back in June to take photos. I know you know just about everything about local places, but did you know that the Wiley’s produce stand, 300 feet north of the garden center, has an area with Pepperidge Farm bread and rolls and everything is priced $1.59? I also saw Charles potato chips there.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:21 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I was there a few times last summer when the cutting garden was open. I was taking photos and there were so many butterflies. I will go back in June to take photos. I know you know just about everything about local places, but did you know that the Wiley’s produce stand, 300 feet north of the garden center, has an area with Pepperidge Farm bread and rolls and everything is priced $1.59? I also saw Charles potato chips there.
You've learned quickly! Yes, I know about, what I call, Willey's Sandwich Shop.

Old 05-14-2023, 10:15 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Oh a child hood memory!!!! My Mom used to buy CC in the brown and beigy-yellow speckled can.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Oh a child hood memory!!!! My Mom used to buy CC in the brown and beigy-yellow speckled can.
We actually had home delivery - a big can every week.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
We actually had home delivery - a big can every week.
Us too. We also got the pretzels every once and a while.We had a lot of stuff delivered and all free delivery too. We were a very middle class neighborhood and the entire neighborhood did this.

The milk man of course.

We had a company called Glamolina and they delivered bleach in heavy dark blue glass gallon bottles and would carry them to the basement near the washer.

We had Dugan Bakeries. (some knew them as Krug) The man would come in a truck and come to the door with bread, cookies, donuts all in trays and he would pull them out and you could pick what you wanted.

My mom did the cleaning as did most of the neighbors but two who each had 8 kids, had a man come every month and he would clean and wax the kitchen floors with a big machine. They had a big round pad and he would spray some cleaner on it and then he would wax it and buff it. We would hang out in the dining room of their house and watch the man clean the floor. Til this day, now probably 60 some odd years ago, I have such vivid memories of that.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Us too. We also got the pretzels every once and a while.We had a lot of stuff delivered and all free delivery too. We were a very middle class neighborhood and the entire neighborhood did this.

The milk man of course.

We had a company called Glamolina and they delivered bleach in heavy dark blue glass gallon bottles and would carry them to the basement near the washer.

We had Dugan Bakeries. (some knew them as Krug) The man would come in a truck and come to the door with bread, cookies, donuts all in trays and he would pull them out and you could pick what you wanted.

My mom did the cleaning as did most of the neighbors but two who each had 8 kids, had a man come every month and he would clean and wax the kitchen floors with a big machine. They had a big round pad and he would spray some cleaner on it and then he would wax it and buff it. We would hang out in the dining room of their house and watch the man clean the floor. Til this day, now probably 60 some odd years ago, I have such vivid memories of that.

We were lucky to have grown up when we did. We had a milkman, an Italian bread man, a produce truck, a fish man on Friday and a rag man who had a horse-drawn cart, the only horse we ever saw in my neighborhood. Friends from another part of New Haven had a man who sharpened knives and a popcorn wagon with a monkey dressed up in a suit, on a little leash. I think that was known as a hurdy-gurdy man. I belong to a Delaware history group and have seen posts about “Jake the blind broom man” - he walked around Wilmington selling brooms. People could hear him coming, tapping the brooms on the sidewalk and saying “brooms”. We didn’t appreciate these things at the time, just took them for granted. But we have our happy memories.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
We were lucky to have grown up when we did. We had a milkman, an Italian bread man, a produce truck, a fish man on Friday and a rag man who had a horse-drawn cart, the only horse we ever saw in my neighborhood. Friends from another part of New Haven had a man who sharpened knives and a popcorn wagon with a monkey dressed up in a suit, on a little leash. I think that was known as a hurdy-gurdy man. I belong to a Delaware history group and have seen posts about “Jake the blind broom man” - he walked around Wilmington selling brooms. People could hear him coming, tapping the brooms on the sidewalk and saying “brooms”. We didn’t appreciate these things at the time, just took them for granted. But we have our happy memories.
Oh my goodness, I forgot about the knife sharpener. When he would come around he was in a faded navy blue truck and you knew he was here because he had a bell that sounded like the start/end round bell in a boxing match. I recall the boys in the neighborhood would all come out and as he went by they would pretend to be boxing as the bell rang and one would fall down and they would laugh like hyena's. I can now imagine the knife sharpener was simply shaking his head.

Also remembered the Fuller Brush Man and Lighthouse for the Blind.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:46 AM

Smile First State Animal Center thrift store

This store recently opened near the Aldi in Camden. I stop in when I am nearby to see what they have. Today there is a sign in the window saying all long-sleeved tops, men’s or women’s, are half price. I found several large racks with new summer clothes, all with pre-printed price tags on them (probably from the manufacturer) showing prices in the $20-30 range, but the clothes are selling for as low as $2 and $6 for tops, t-shirts or tank tops. Also a whole rack of new women’s shorts. The proceeds from the store are used for the shelter in Camden.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Next weekend, November 10 - 12 will be an event, Harvest Days at Duck Creek, presented by Citizens Against Solar Pollution. There will be antique tractors and farm equipment, food for sale, flea market, craft fair, hayrides and a 50/50 raffle. No hours were indicated on the sign I saw promoting the event, but I would expect it to be mid-morning till 2 or 3pm. It will be at 668 Lighthouse Road, Smyrna, close to Boondocks. From what I read this is a group trying to save farmland up in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware