Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times

Advertisements

This is a very active club, and promotes more than newcomers' transition into this area. The idea is, newcomers mixing with natives, and long time residents of the area. The hand in hand learning experience and camaraderie benefits all. What a concept - the blend of new and old, promoting well roundedness. All charities collected from this club go to the Kent County Community School, and the John S. Charlton School. There are meetings, luncheons, trips, and community events planned, and this is one of the most active and interesting groups in the area. Click the links within this site for more information, i.e. dancing, card games, etc.
Newcomers of Dover 2011-12

Newcomers Club Mission Statement:
Article II – Mission Statement
The mission of the Club is to welcome people in the community by providing programs and activities of community interest. Funds raised through the Club’s philanthropic activities directly support the activities and requirements of students of the Kent County Community and the John S. Charlton Schools.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM

379 posts, read 813,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
! There is a pizza place here ....they make garlic knots
Every time I taste garlic knots, they only taste like bread (and I have good taste buds)! Apparently the ones you refer to taste much, much better. I wonder what they're doing right?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
A Super Bowl party is planned here at the Roesville Club. Food, fun, friendly rivalry, and lots of friends. It's going to be a rip-roaring time. Giants or Patriots...who's your favorite?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
I"m going for the giants. Pats are great but I want to see someone else win this year. I'm routing for the underdog.

No SB party planned here this year. We are going to a private party with our neighbors and friends right across the street.....bill can get drunk and we walk home. LOL

Last year our sb party consist of pizzas, salad and a huge sb cake. Also plenty of hot and cold snacks.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Party is here at our place, for the townies. We have a 55" t.v. and are expecting a crowd. I'm starting my baking, cooking, and assembling party trays tomorrow, and need to pick up the seafood.

Hubby came out of the closet 2 years ago, and admitted he is a Giants fan. Usually, NY teams are never our favorites. Don't know what happened there, but after 52 years of marriage, I'll cheer for the Giants, too, since I want to stay married. And, he has NO other faults, so I'll let him slide. Added to that, he's the only NY fan in our town that we know of. The secret will be revealed Sunday.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Party is here at our place, for the townies. We have a 55" t.v. and are expecting a crowd. I'm starting my baking, cooking, and assembling party trays tomorrow, and need to pick up the seafood.
Sounds like a blast. Have a great time!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: fixed html

Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Volunteerism

By Popular Request -

Some have shown an interest in volunteering, in Delaware. Here's something unusual and help is needed if:

You like frogs
You are able to meet the frog quiz requirement
You have a car and gasoline
You can work nights
You enjoy the country atmosphere (at nights)
You have access to a computer and the Internet
You are able to commit for 3 years

Delaware Amphibian Monitoring Program

.....seriously...

Last edited by rdlr; 02-09-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Oh, to meet the frog quiz requirement, click this link,Delaware Amphibian Monitoring Program
then click the Public Link to the left. Drop downs for states will appear. Select 'Delaware' and start learning about frog croaks.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Smile very off-topic

I think maybe only rdlr would know the answer to this. I have an old college edition dictionary from the 1950's (not mine, I'm not that old) that I keep mainly for crossword answers. I looked up some Delaware facts in it and it lists Dover as having a population of 6,000 and Wilmington 110,000, with the entire state having a population of 318,000 at that time. Well Dover must have been so nice, small-town and quaint with a population of 6,000 but was Wilmington really that high a population in the 1950's? I'm guessing maybe some neighborhoods were leveled for the highways and corporate headquarters.

And very off-topic, I have discovered a great oldies (like 1950's) radio station out of Canada - AM740. They claim to be heard in 38 US states but can be heard in all states over the internet. I can only pick them up at night on my AM/FM radio. I think people in my age group would enjoy the station, especially the Friday evening jukebox show.

Enjoy the good weather today!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Hi Retiree! I just found your post, and not sure I absolutely know the answer to your census question. However, I'm guessing that population count was before they chopped up "Wilmington" into all those community names. When I was a kid, Wilmington was just that.....everything up there north of Black Cat. That's just before you get to the New Castle County Airport on Rt. 13.

About oldies radio, the locals around here favor 107.1 The Duck (Quack-Quack). Their format has slightly changed from all 50's music, to a more varied selection. Certainly they are not heard as faraway as the station you mention. The Duck is located in Federalsburg, MD. A bunch of us oldies have gone on cruises from St. Michaels, MD with The Duck gang. Lots of fun.
MTS Broadcasting, LC - Cambridge, Maryland

Click Listen Live at the bottom of the link.

Another thought - The Delawareans I grew up with relate to, and are close with people from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Back in our day, the Eastern Shore of MD kids and Kent/Sussex Delawareans had a lot in common. We never traveled north and never associated with the New Castle County Delaware kids. Even now, our gang doesn't support the Blue Rocks in Wilmington, but the Shore Birds in Salisbury. Our favorite professional teams are the Nationals and Ravens, with the Phillies not being totally ignored. We just don't travel up there to their games; instead we travel to MD games. Funny, the way things evolve.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-03-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware