Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Good morning from Maine, where we haven't had any new snow in over 22 days! That must be some sort of record. A mini-Olympics was planned this weekend in Portland and it had to be cancelled for lack of the white stuff. On a serious note,we have been watching the DE news intently and hope that residents come through these two historic storms with their backs intact.

Thanks from PA for your drive around CC to comment on the roads.

Nice to see elizamary back on the board!

All hubby can say is he hopes DE gets this "storm thing" out of its system before we come next year

We are thinking of you all.............
Thanks eggplant..........Nice to see you too

DD now lives in Baltimore..moved from Maine. She wishes she was back there.
Says it warmer than here. LOL!!

Some crazy weather we are having for sure.

Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM

96 posts, read 190,470 times
Hi all! I'm checking back in after a couple months layoff. There were a few minor health issues (I'm fine now) then the holidays, followed by what I must admit as laziness in catching up on the forum. (The longer I waited, the bigger the task, so the longer I waited...) I'm still in catch-up mode, but am delighted to see so many of you getting so close to (or already) realizing your DE retirement dreams. It's a lovely thing.

Can't Wait, I'm betting that your Austin is the one I'll get a call on as it gets closer to completion to go down and tour. I was down in early Dec on what I call a 'drive-by' for my first visit to CC. Fell in love with the community, Deb (Ed was off) and a few residents I met while there. Toured a Charleston and went on the list to tour a not-quite-finished Austin when the time comes. (I bet it will be on Lot 188!) Anyway, I'm really hoping to swing this, but am just not quite ready to put anything on paper. The information on this forum has been enormously helpful and, for that, I thank you all. Charley, you've been a wealth of that info and I'm glad to know that you and your wife have made your decision and wish all the best. After my Dec. visit, I can see what attracted you to CC.

I still have a couple others in mind too, though I did take BF off my list during that trip. When I asked their rep why there are so many re-sales, she told me that it's not because people don't want to live there. It's because the owners either have passed on and their families are selling or they've gone into housing where they can get round-the-clock care. When I ventured that the communinty must have a somewhat older population, she almost stumbled over my sentence to say that she couldn't discuss the demographics of the community. Enough said.

There have been moments when I've considered buying in a non-restricted community down there but this winter has convinced me otherwise. Given that it'll be just me, recent posts about the quick and thorough clearing is luring me back to 55+. Elizamary, you make a very good point about understanding just what gets shoveled/plowed. And bless your heart for helping others in your community. Your community is still on my list too.

I'll be calling Ed (or Deb) soon to see about a longer visit so I can get some additional info. I also have a friend who wants to go down with me and look over a few communities to include CC as well as SM and SA in MIddletown. First thing you know, I'm going to feel right at-home in DE!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM

124 posts, read 264,209 times
Hey Jude, How are you? We'd be thrilled to have you tour our Austin (we are lot 202 on Sahalee Ct.) We're under roof with the doors on and siding should be on soon if the weather will cooperate. Our garage slab and front porch pad have been poured. We're going over next Wednesday for our pre-dry wall appointment. So far we're very excited and pleased with everything!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

40 posts, read 80,809 times
[quote=Hey Jude, na na na na;12858179]
Can't Wait, I'm betting that your Austin is the one I'll get a call on as it gets closer to completion to go down and tour. I was down in early Dec on what I call a 'drive-by' for my first visit to CC. Fell in love with the community, Deb (Ed was off) and a few residents I met while there. Toured a Charleston and went on the list to tour a not-quite-finished Austin when the time comes. (I bet it will be on Lot 188!)

Jude, I'm having a Broadmoor built on lot #188 and feel free to look it over as it goes up. (please wipe your feet). And I believe lots 189 and 190 are sold. It is a great lot. There will be trees across the street from us and for now nothing behind us. But you never know what the future may hold.

Thanks for the input SusieC. We're looking forward to meeting with Jeff this Monday. I'll mention the positive comments from you and drnorman.

And Charlie, how are you and Marlene doing? Was the Augusta your choice? If so, we also considered that model.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Hi cant wait... and NapaJoe! I'm so sorry, I got that completely wrong. (Obviously, my catch-up reading was crammed into so short a time that I got my lots crossed... or my eyes!) Gosh, CWTR, things are moving along rapidly. Excellent. I'll expect a base touch from there in a few days and hope that the timing works out so I can get down there at the right time.

NapaJoe, I chuckled at your plea to wipe my feet. Actually, the plan is to get us 'tourists' in for a peek prior to painting and the laying of final flooring. (Heaven forbid the wood floors or carpet should be trampled before the buyer moves in! And I mean that, truly!) As I understand it, we'll have something to walk on with cleanliness in mind. It's my guess that they'll cover the sub-floors with paper similar to what car dealers put in when we get our cars serviced. Isn't that SO McKee? It's one of the many reasons I'm attracted to them as builders. It looks like those of you who have chosen SA, SM and CC feel the same way.

I get excited just reading about the progress that everyone is making, regardless of where you are.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Welcome back Hey Jude. Yes, we will be choosing the Augusta. We're going down at the end of next month with our $1,000 "hold a spot for us" check. We still don't know our timetable, but if I'm guessing, I think this will be the year that my wife is affected by layoff (current thinking is 100 positions will be cut) and so we could be on our way sooner than later.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Hi Jude, Napa, CWTR and all others relocating to the great state of De.

It never snows here and if it does........gone the next day. Now you want to buy into a mountain resort in Fl. LOL

Just joking of course

I dont' post much because I have hashed and reshashed our retirement experiences.. The excitment has worn off in 3 years but no regrets on our decsion to move to a 55+ community in DE. No regrets at all. We have never been as social as we have been in the past 3 years.
Expect not everything will be perfect.... but that is life. Just as long as the important decsions work out.
Or had as many wonderful friends either.
Bill and I truly feel blessed. A great way to spend the last phase of our lives.

Want to wish all who have relocated or planning to relocate the very best of happiness/luck in your final phase.
This is beyond my wildest dreams!
Our family jokes cuz of all our activities. They call us the party people. LOL!!

Everyone will end up where you are meant to end up and please.....BE HAPPY!!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Hey, CW, it looks like I might get a peek at your Austin in a couple weeks. I called today and was told that I can do a walk-thru anytime in the next few weeks. Not sure whether I want to do so before the drywall goes up though since that makes it easier for me to 'see' true space. (I am 'spatial-challenged'.) In any case, I'm looking forward to another visit. Maybe 2!

Practical question: Has anyone taken advantage of or have any advice on McKee's 'Smart Buyer' program? There's an event (a luncheon, I believe) for prospective buyers covering the program on Feb 27th. I'll be interested to learn more about it.

Another item of interest to me stemmed from Elizamary's caution about plowing/shoveling. I checked that in some material I had, and found that the monthly fee includes snow shoveling on walkways and driveways. (Yea!) However, I also read that, after the community is fully sold, McKee will turn over care of the roads during snow events to DelDot. That means that the quick-clear just experienced there isn't likely to be the norm. Case-in-point: Two miles away from CC, on Woodlytown Road (Plaindealing Rd. on the other side of S. State/Main), was only opened last night (2/12)! Oh well... The good news is that these kinds of snow events aren't the norm either.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 PM

124 posts, read 264,209 times
Hey Jude, I'll be anxious to see our house with drywall also! So when we go over this week and I get an approx. date when the drywall should all be hung I'll post it so you can talk a walk through on your next visit. After 25 years of helping many new home buyers through their construction process, I am still challenged with "visualizing" a completed house when all I see is dirt!

I know a couple who live in CC who used McKee's guaranteed home sale program (is that the same as the Smart Buyer Program?) and they were very pleased. They used the program to sell their house on the MD Eastern Shore and have only good things to say about the program. In fact their home sold so quickly they had to move in w/family. I'm sure Ed would be able to connect you with this couple (I'd rather not give out their info.) but they are very gracious and we visit them every time we go to CC. There is a marketing piece about their experience with the program. I'm not too worried about snow removal. Our HOA budget should allow for us to continue having our driveways and sidewalks shoveled. You're right; this has been a very unusual winter with way more snow than is typical for the Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Hey, cant wait, I'll look forward to your 'heads-up' post. And thanks also for the info re Smart Buyer. I'm even more interested now in finding out more about the program after hearing how things went for your friend. It sounds, to me, more like a help-you-sell than a guarantee-you-to-sell program, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm going to try to make it to the luncheon where it'll be covered so I can find out more.

Y'all have a safe trip this week. We're looking for more snow here Tomorrow (Mon.) afternoon into Tuesday and I believe DE is going to catch some of that as well so take good care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware