Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 AM

33 posts, read 56,203 times

Advertisements

You are lucky to have an interested buyers agent-we tried to use some one, who blew us off when we came down the second time-told us she was busy with clients ready to move, couldn't wast time when we weren't ready yet! Well, as a result of this forum, we seem ok without this agent! Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times
All,
If you are familiar with my posts in the past, I love the Lewes area and I have been following The Vineyards at Nassau Valley condos for the past two years. Last year their first building was completed in May 2010 and the second building started construction. While the second building is under roof, it is not yet completed as of Apr 2011. This is a unique "Urban" community design that is supposed to be a mini town with stores on the first level and 900 condos on the second and third floors. I love the concept - but, it appears that none of the big box stores have broken ground and without them smaller shops can't risk moving into vacant shops on the first floor of the buildings. Not sure when the big box stores will be ready to build in this economy - so work on this community seems to have slowed to a crawl. Maybe in 8-10 years it will be an active community - but, I don't see that happening in the next 3 years - at least not to the point where I would be willing to buy into this community. The concept holds great promise - but, in the present state of the economy I don't see the big box stores willing to build. Schell Brothers will likely concentrate on the 6 or 7 other communities it's building of single family homes and wait it out until the big box stores are willing to commit to this community.

I did try to broaden my search for a resale condo to the Milton and Rehoboth areas as well as the Lewes area. I really did...but, I just know the Lewes area is where I am supposed to retire. It is the sense of peace that comes over me when I am there - a feeling that I can't ignore.

Now, don't get me wrong, the condos I visited were all very nice, the interior space of all the condos seemed to be pretty well laid out. It was the exterior space that gave me the feeling that I would be living in a 3 story rectangular box stacked up one next to the other. Most of the condos were right off of route one making the entry to and exit from the condos a nightmare. In each condo complex buildings were packed into a small area and it gave me the feeling similar to too many people packed into an elevator ( I am not big on crowded elavators). My reactions to each community were very much based upon my personal need for space - not the interior space of the unit, but, the exterior space around the unit. I hope that makes sense.

With my background in accounting you would think my decision making process would be based upon square footage and price and all sorts of practical things like handicapped accessible, close to stores, close to doctors and hospitals etc.. However, it is the feeling of peace that seems to be leading me to Lewes and one particular condo complex in the Lewes area. Since I am looking at resales I don't know what will be available when I am ready to buy - just have to trust that when the time comes the place will find me.

Mary2014

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
All, I did try to broaden my search for a resale condo to the Milton and Rehoboth areas as well as the Lewes area. I really did...but, I just know the Lewes area is where I am supposed to retire. It is the sense of peace that comes over me when I am there - a feeling that I can't ignore.
As has been said so many times, when you find the place where you belong, you'll know it. Marlene and I felt the same way about Kent County. That's where we belong. In some ways, it's already "home".

I congratulate you for finding your perfect spot. You'll now be able to learn everything you can about Lewes and when you do make the move, it will feel like you're coming home.

Happy Easter Sunday to everyone.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Here is a recap of the condos I visited during my most recent trip to Lewes, DE.

Paynter's Mill in Milton DE - Located just off of route one and completed in 2008, there are a few unsold new units, several of which were second floor 2b, 2 bath. Some were model units that are now available for sale at a discounted price. There are also a few resale units avaialbe. In the $175K - $250K range depending upon size, they come with about $4K in yearly HOA and condo fees. Has a nice pool and community center, beautiful green grass between the buildings. Seems to be a choice for a first time younger buyer. Large rectangular buildings all lined up in rows gave me the feeling of a nice apartment complex - but, not a retirement home. It's OK if you want to make a right turn out of the complex onto route one and head for Lewes, but, I would not want to try to make a left turn onto route one traffic and head North. Fortunately, you don't have to use route one exclusively to enter and exit this community. There are back roads from this community to Milton.

Villas at Bay Crossing (not a 55+) completed in 2005 and Bay Crossing (is a 55+ community) still has homes to be built: Located on route one in Lewes, DE - the only entry into these two communities is directly from route one and there is NO traffic light.

At first I thought this was a 55+ community with condos and individual homes. They are actually two different communites and you have to drive through the condo community (Villas at Bay crossing) to get to Bay Crossing which is a 55+ community with single family homes as well as attached "villas". Villas at Bay Crossing run in the $160K - $200K range and Bay Crossing 55+ runs in the $350k - $450K range. Each community has its own amenities. There is no back road you can use to get into either community. You must enter and exit via busy route one (what were they thinking when they planned these two communities? Another few hundred feet and they could have accessed a side road to have an additional way to enter and exit.)

Villas at Bay Crossing give me that sense of being in an over crowded elevator. Bay Crossing has more space and the homes look very nice - but, even though these communites are East of route one ( which usually means a premium) - who in there right mind wants to take there lives in there hands everytime you want to enter and exit these two communities?

Summerlyn Condos - just off of route one. I did not actually go into a unit. The condo units are large (1500 sq ft) and the buildings have elevator access. Six -3 story rectangular buildings, lined up in a row - surrounded by a commercial area. No traffic light to help you enter or exit these condos. Gave me the impression of a so-so apartment complex. Prices run in the $195k - $229K - are you kidding me???

Sandbar Village Condos - just off of route one. Similiar to Summerlyn. built in 2006- 2007, only 3 of the planned 7 buildings were built before the builder went bankrupt. Originally sold for $210k - $230K per unit, 1500 sq ft, elevator access, fireplace. They just had a firesale on 7 never occupied units and they sold for $148k - $152K. A great investment for someone who plans to rent them out at $1000 a week during beach season - but, way to risky as a retirement home.

5 Points Condos: East of route one and access off of Savannah Road which leads to downtown Lewes. 3 story rectangular buildings, within walking distance of stores and a little more green space between buildings - it should be a contender... but, it feels like an apartment complex. Prices in the $165k - $230K range and $3,000 a yr condo fees. No elevator access - so you are limited to first floor units. I didn't even ask to tour a unit because it just gave me a blah feeling.

Plantations East - off of Plantations Road in Lewes and West of route one. Nice access to a gated community. Not condos, but, rather townhomes. A little too crowded for my tastes - but, otherwise nice and no condo fees! In the $190K - $240K price range. I think they were built around 2002 - 2006 time frame - maybe some a little more recent than that.

Woods Cove - off of Plantations Road, west of route one. A new condo community started in 2007 and still building. Prices much higher in the $240k - 260K range( although I saw a resale just listed at $219K). Nice, but, same crowed feeling. They are trying to put too many units in too small a space. They have incorporated many more energy saving features into these new condos - so that is a definate plus.

And last, but, not least Plantations. Also referred to as Plantations (West) so as not to confuse it with Plantations East - which is just across the road. I really liked this particular community and will go into more details in another post.

Mary2014

Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 PM
EdB

24 posts, read 44,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank44 View Post
Hope I am not asking something has been covered earlier in your (our) conversations but I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with someone renting a unit to someone with a minor child (age 12) and how you dealt with it. There is some thought that this is legal because of something called the 80% rule (that anyone can live in a 55+ community as long as 80 % of the units are lived in by 55+. That doesn't sound right tome but some lawyer says its is. Some Lawyers will say anything as long as they are being paid. DOes anyone ahve any thoughts or information about this. Thanks, Frank

I believe the Under 55 rule is correct. Up tp 20% of planned homes can circumvent the age restriction; however, I do not believe this applies to children under 19.
With regards to renters, it may depend on each community, but at CC the renter must be a family member and the same age restrictions apply to renters as to owners.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 PM

And the winner is: Plantations (West) as my favorite condo in the Lewes, DE area! It's not perfect, but, I get a very peaceful feeling about this condo community which is located about 5 miles west of downtown Lewes on Plantations Road.

This appears to have been one of the first condos in the area, dating back to about 1986 and built out through around 2001. It consists of 200 condos and about 3 dozen single family homes. It is a "gated" community - but, really just an electronic monitoring of those people coming and going through the gate.

The land must have been purchased cheap in the early 1980's - because it feels like a park setting with loads of outdoor space. Had the land been purchased in 2000 or later I am sure they would have tried to fit 800 or 900 condos into the same space.

The design of the condo's is unique. In addition to being only two stories, the buildings are not simple rectangles lined up one after another. I will try to decribe the layout. Imagine four rectangles from left to right. Each is 50 ft long and 40 ft wide. Rotate the rectangles on either end by 90 degrees so the building forms the shape of an elongated upside down U. Two things happen. It forms a beautiful courtyard for each building of 8 condos (4 first floor and 4 second floor condos) and it creates a 90 degree angle of open space on the back side of each end of the building. This in turn allows each unit to have a glass enclosed wrap around porch ( or 2nd floor balcony) measuring 20 feet long in each direction. The result is 300+ sq feet of living space referred to as a three season room for each unit. Two 20 ft long walls of windows that let in the light on a nine foot wide balcony. Add to that access via a sliding glass patio door from the master bedroom, and another from the dining room, as well as two of the four living room walls being walls of sliding glass doors out onto the balcony and you come up with a really unique condo! And when you sit on your balcony you either have a view of one of the two lakes or plenty of open space that makes you feel like you are living in your own private park. There are a few condos with not so great views because they ended up right next to the pool, indoor tennis courts and community buildings. But, most of the twenty five 8 unit buildings have lovely views.

Speaking of amenities, the set up is a little different at Plantations. Yes, there is an outdoor pool, indoor and outdoor tennis courts and an exercise room and a yoga center, BUT, the property is leased to business owners who run the facilities. You can choose to join to use all or part of the amenities - but, there is a yearly fee and it is not part of the condo fees. These facilities attract outside users of the facilities and is presently operated by a tennis pro to train tennis players - hense the reason for the very large building that houses the indoor tennis courts.

Condos are two or three bedroom units, some with garages, some not. Normally in the $210K - 250K range, however, one two bedroom unit, 1st floor w/o garage just listed at $190k. Condo/HOA fees depending upon the unit run from around $2800 - $3200 per year. The condo buildings are spread out over about 90 acres on various streets within the community.

The units relay on propane for heating and hot water, heat pump for air conditioning. Since these buildings range from 11 to 25 years old you need to factor in the possibility of needing at some point in time to replace appliances, heat pump etc. and not just the list price of the condos.

I was actually renting a condo at Plantations for a week - so I was able to take at good look at the community and I got to talk with several people who live there. One retiree who has lived there a year estimated that the community consisted of 90% retirees. Another resident has lived there for 11 years with her 95 yr old father and loves the community. She lives in a unit built in 1986 and did mention that some of the older buildings do have a problem with a few windows that have lost their seal - which would be the responsibility of the home owner. So, older units may need more updating than newer units.

The only major concern ( mentioned by a sales person at a condo community down the road) is a fine levied on the priviate sewer company for Plantations. He thinks it will lead to a special assessment on the home owners to have the problem corrected. To date the condo fees have been very consistant over the last 25 years - with only a slight increase in 2009 to meet the new DE guidelines for reserve requirements that now apply to all condos in DE. I am not aware of any special assessments in the past 25 yars - but, the problem associated with the private sewer company needs more investigation.

I am sure I have left out information about this community - as my brain is on overlaod. But, all in all I like Plantations West.

Mary 2014

Last edited by Mary2014; 04-24-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
All,
If you are familiar with my posts in the past, I love the Lewes area and I have been following The Vineyards at Nassau Valley condos for the past two years. Last year their first building was completed in May 2010 and the second building started construction. While the second building is under roof, it is not yet completed as of Apr 2011. This is a unique "Urban" community design that is supposed to be a mini town with stores on the first level and 900 condos on the second and third floors. I love the concept - but, it appears that none of the big box stores have broken ground and without them smaller shops can't risk moving into vacant shops on the first floor of the buildings. Not sure when the big box stores will be ready to build in this economy - so work on this community seems to have slowed to a crawl. Maybe in 8-10 years it will be an active community - but, I don't see that happening in the next 3 years - at least not to the point where I would be willing to buy into this community. The concept holds great promise - but, in the present state of the economy I don't see the big box stores willing to build. Schell Brothers will likely concentrate on the 6 or 7 other communities it's building of single family homes and wait it out until the big box stores are willing to commit to this community.

I did try to broaden my search for a resale condo to the Milton and Rehoboth areas as well as the Lewes area. I really did...but, I just know the Lewes area is where I am supposed to retire. It is the sense of peace that comes over me when I am there - a feeling that I can't ignore.

Now, don't get me wrong, the condos I visited were all very nice, the interior space of all the condos seemed to be pretty well laid out. It was the exterior space that gave me the feeling that I would be living in a 3 story rectangular box stacked up one next to the other. Most of the condos were right off of route one making the entry to and exit from the condos a nightmare. In each condo complex buildings were packed into a small area and it gave me the feeling similar to too many people packed into an elevator ( I am not big on crowded elavators). My reactions to each community were very much based upon my personal need for space - not the interior space of the unit, but, the exterior space around the unit. I hope that makes sense.

With my background in accounting you would think my decision making process would be based upon square footage and price and all sorts of practical things like handicapped accessible, close to stores, close to doctors and hospitals etc.. However, it is the feeling of peace that seems to be leading me to Lewes and one particular condo complex in the Lewes area. Since I am looking at resales I don't know what will be available when I am ready to buy - just have to trust that when the time comes the place will find me.

Mary2014

Mary2014,
Thank you for all the info you have given. I am years away from retiring but am thinking a lot and will start to look too. I think how you feel in a place, or don't, is vital and needs to be listened to.
Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
And the winner is: Plantations (West) as my favorite condo in the Lewes, DE area! It's not perfect, but, I get a very peaceful feeling about this condo community which is located about 5 miles west of downtown Lewes on Plantations Road.

This appears to have been one of the first condos in the area, dating back to about 1986 and built out through around 2001. It consists of 200 condos and about 3 dozen single family homes. It is a "gated" community - but, really just an electronic monitoring of those people coming and going through the gate.

The land must have been purchased cheap in the early 1980's - because it feels like a park setting with loads of outdoor space. Had the land been purchased in 2000 or later I am sure they would have tried to fit 800 or 900 condos into the same space.

The design of the condo's is unique. In addition to being only two stories, the buildings are not simple rectangles lined up one after another. I will try to decribe the layout. Imagine four rectangles from left to right. Each is 50 ft long and 40 ft wide. Rotate the rectangles on either end by 90 degrees so the building forms the shape of an elongated upside down U. Two things happen. It forms a beautiful courtyard for each building of 8 condos (4 first floor and 4 second floor condos) and it creates a 90 degree angle of open space on the back side of each end of the building. This in turn allows each unit to have a glass enclosed wrap around porch ( or 2nd floor balcony) measuring 20 feet long in each direction. The result is 300+ sq feet of living space referred to as a three season room for each unit. Two 20 ft long walls of windows that let in the light on a nine foot wide balcony. Add to that access via a sliding glass patio door from the master bedroom, and another from the dining room, as well as two of the four living room walls being walls of sliding glass doors out onto the balcony and you come up with a really unique condo! And when you sit on your balcony you either have a view of one of the two lakes or plenty of open space that makes you feel like you are living in your own private park. There are a few condos with not so great views because they ended up right next to the pool, indoor tennis courts and community buildings. But, most of the twenty five 8 unit buildings have lovely views.

Speaking of amenities, the set up is a little different at Plantations. Yes, there is an outdoor pool, indoor and outdoor tennis courts and an exercise room and a yoga center, BUT, the property is leased to business owners who run the facilities. You can choose to join to use all or part of the amenities - but, there is a yearly fee and it is not part of the condo fees. These facilities attract outside users of the facilities and is presently operated by a tennis pro to train tennis players - hense the reason for the very large building that houses the indoor tennis courts.

Condos are two or three bedroom units, some with garages, some not. Normally in the $210K - 250K range, however, one two bedroom unit, 1st floor w/o garage just listed at $190k. Condo/HOA fees depending upon the unit run from around $2800 - $3200 per year. The condo buildings are spread out over about 90 acres on various streets within the community.

The units relay on propane for heating and hot water, heat pump for air conditioning. Since these buildings range from 11 to 25 years old you need to factor in the possibility of needing at some point in time to replace appliances, heat pump etc. and not just the list price of the condos.

I was actually renting a condo at Plantations for a week - so I was able to take at good look at the community and I got to talk with several people who live there. One retiree who has lived there a year estimated that the community consisted of 90% retirees. Another resident has lived there for 11 years with her 95 yr old father and loves the community. She lives in a unit built in 1986 and did mention that some of the older buildings do have a problem with a few windows that have lost their seal - which would be the responsibility of the home owner. So, older units may need more updating than newer units.

The only major concern ( mentioned by a sales person at a condo community down the road) is a fine levied on the priviate sewer company for Plantations. He thinks it will lead to a special assessment on the home owners to have the problem corrected. To date the condo fees have been very consistant over the last 25 years - with only a slight increase in 2009 to meet the new DE guidelines for reserve requirements that now apply to all condos in DE. I am not aware of any special assessments in the past 25 yars - but, the problem associated with the private sewer company needs more investigation.

I am sure I have left out information about this community - as my brain is on overlaod. But, all in all I like Plantations West.

Mary 2014

Did you have the change to check out the management company.. how they manage funds?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Mary....You've been a busy girl!

Quote:
Villas at Bay Crossing run in the $160K - $200K range and Bay Crossing 55+ runs in the $350k - $450K range. Each community has its own amenities. There is no back road you can use to get into either community. You must enter and exit via busy route one (what were they thinking when they planned these two communities? Another few hundred feet and they could have accessed a side road to have an additional way to enter and exit.)Mary2014
No they could not have accessed a side road.....etc.

DelDot is the boss, and curb cuts, entrances and exits rest solely with them. Their engineers hold the key to all the plans for the State, and the builders can take it or leave it. That's why you have seen so many exits/entrances to communities that may not make sense. DelDot's planning began many years ago, and stretches years into the future.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Mary....You've been a busy girl!

No they could not have accessed a side road.....etc.

DelDot is the boss, and curb cuts, entrances and exits rest solely with them. Their engineers hold the key to all the plans for the State, and the builders can take it or leave it. That's why you have seen so many exits/entrances to communities that may not make sense. DelDot's planning began many years ago, and stretches years into the future.
rdlr,

I do realize the builders may not have had an option to continue a road a few hundred more feet - but, by limiting the access to these communities only through busy route one is a real shame. Definately a write off of that community and several others in my book. I don't want the stress of trying to enter or exit a community onto a busy highway like route one. Fortuneately, my community of choice is on Plantations Road and at either end of that road I can access route one with a traffic light available to get on or cross over route one.

Mary 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware