Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 PM

55 posts, read 182,074 times

Advertisements

I envy all of you to be so close to picking out your new homes. I will be down in the fall doing my looking. I definitely want 55+, a pool and clubhouse at the minimum, and don't care if manufactured or stick-built, but would prefer to own the land as paying for a lease every month can add up over a couple of decades. I will also be taking notes and photos so it is not all a blur when I come back here to mull things over.

Good luck to all of you!! And Charley you are so lucky to have your lot picked out. Hope the next year and a half flies by for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
The "parade of homes" here at Roesville was a big success. The weather was lovely and there were smiles everywhere. We had about 2 dozen couples visit our home and others. One couple asked if we had been "compensated" by the developer for opening our homes!? We were not. We opened our homes because we are proud of our community and wanted to show it off to prospective buyers!
Anyways...we missed you all and hope that you'll stop by for a visit soon.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
The "parade of homes" here at Roesville was a big success. The weather was lovely and there were smiles everywhere. We had about 2 dozen couples visit our home and others. One couple asked if we had been "compensated" by the developer for opening our homes!? We were not. We opened our homes because we are proud of our community and wanted to show it off to prospective buyers!
Anyways...we missed you all and hope that you'll stop by for a visit soon.
Oh I missed it

We too have opened our homes when we have "open house" or maybe called something else like spring fling?
One year they had Caribean day serving ribs and chicken. That was good. Another they had free massages, manicures and pedi's.
Also, we feel the same way....proud of homes and no compensation. It's usually a happy up time where everyone is upbeat and excited.
Should be having one soon this spring. Not sure but I will have to look in on it.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 AM

137 posts, read 313,540 times
Helen, congratulations! Hope you enjoy your visit to SM. Sorry I won't be home yet to meet you, but I'm sure you will be coming back and forth while your new home is being set up. Ask Debbie to show you where our house is and you will see why we picked that lot. It's perfect for loading and unloading the motorhome.

There is no storage area for RVs at Southern Meadow, but you can park one in the way back for a day or two if you need to.

It's so exciting to read about the folks who are ready to move into their next phase of life in Delaware. We are like ElizaM--don't plan on moving anymore. This is it.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The "parade of homes" here at Roesville was a big success.
I heard today that so far the "parade" has resulted in deposits on 6 lots. That's amazing

Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Helen, congratulations! Hope you enjoy your visit to SM. Sorry I won't be home yet to meet you, but I'm sure you will be coming back and forth while your new home is being set up. Ask Debbie to show you where our house is and you will see why we picked that lot. It's perfect for loading and unloading the motorhome.

There is no storage area for RVs at Southern Meadow, but you can park one in the way back for a day or two if you need to.

It's so exciting to read about the folks who are ready to move into their next phase of life in Delaware. We are like ElizaM--don't plan on moving anymore. This is it.
Thats for sure Sanddollar. The thought of packing up and relocating makes me break out in hives. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0829 View Post
It's been a while since I posted, I have been to Asia on vacation/cruise and got terribly sick upon my return! I'm finally starting to feel human again, after over two weeks....

It's finally the end of March and I'll be at SM on the 26th to sleep-over and sign paperwork for my NEW home!! Planning to move in October or November. Can't wait to get away from Philly!

Excited? You can't imagine how excited I am!

Helen
Helen.....what a fabulous trip in so many ways. Sorry you had gotten sick though. I remember a couple years ago got back from Italy sick as a dog.
At least we weren't sick while we were away.

Looking foward to meeting you on the sleepover. Not sure what part of philly you are from. We were from Northeast Torresdale. Need to go back tomorrow for overnight.

Oct and Nov will be here before your able to blink. Christmas 2011 will be over and we will all be waiting for spring 2012. Time has taken a jet. Goes by so fast.
And
congratulations on choosing your new home. We have been here 4 years already. Hardly seems possible. but it is.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 25,626 times
Hi,

I am new at this forum. Currently, I am residing in an active adult community in Central Jersey. As you all well aware, the high property tax has driven us to look into another state once my hubby is ready to retire in about a year or two. I have been looking at Carolina Lake & Bluffton in SC and also in Charleston, SC. Delaware is another state that we consider.

I was in Lewes 2009 Thanksgiving, check out the 55 communities by K.Hvanian off RT 9. The prices is quite high. But then there are places where the land is leased. It's kind of confusing.

After reading this forum, I wonder how you concluded residing in Delaware not other states.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

75 posts, read 139,953 times
Hi Ginny88 and welcome to the forum. Delaware is one of the top 10 retiree friendly States in the country. Amongst other things there is no sales tax, no State tax and most pensions are tax exempt.

This Kiplinger article helps to explain Delaware’s tax structure.

Kiplinger.com

This Bankrate Cost of Living Calculator will help give you a comparison between where you live now and the city you’re planning to live. I could only find Wilmington DE-MD-NJ Metro Div. area as a destination in Delaware but this will give you a working knowledge as to cost.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny88 View Post
Hi,

I am new at this forum. Currently, I am residing in an active adult community in Central Jersey... ... I have been looking at Carolina Lake & Bluffton in SC and also in Charleston, SC. Delaware is another state that we consider...

After reading this forum, I wonder how you concluded residing in Delaware not other states.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
We are originally from the Jersey Shore (born and raised) but have not lived there for many, many years. Although our extended family is still located there, we chose to move to Delaware to be close to family without having the burden of high taxes. We chose to build our home at the J.S. Hovnanian community of Roesville for many reasons.

My brother and his wife purchased a Del Webb home in Sun City, SC and love it there. They totally enjoy the 55+ community lifestyle and their home, but it seems it is much too hot and humid during the summer, so they return to the Jersey Shore from June through Sept.

I wish you well as you search (and find) your ideal home.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 25,626 times
Quote:
We are originally from the Jersey Shore (born and raised) but have not lived there for many, many years. Although our extended family is still located there, we chose to move to Delaware to be close to family without having the burden of high taxes. We chose to build our home at the J.S. Hovnanian community of Roesville for many reasons.

My brother and his wife purchased a Del Webb home in Sun City, SC and love it there. They totally enjoy the 55+ community lifestyle and their home, but it seems it is much too hot and humid during the summer, so they return to the Jersey Shore from June through Sept.

I wish you well as you search (and find) your ideal home.
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. We have not explore any northern part of DE, so not sure what to look for. Definately, we will want to live in a 55+community but most of all within our budget; 150 to 180K.
Any recommendations on 55+ communities?

Travelling is part of our retirement plan. The concern is the distance to the airport. Currently, we only live about 1/2hr from Newark airport. I like park and gardens, and communities around this setting will be ideal for us.
We are also looking at Del Web communities in Fort Mill & Bluffton, SC. As you mentioned, it could be very muggy and hot in the summer. And I was told their waterbill is unbelievable high. So my option is open.
Looking foward to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware