Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
It's been puzzling me for a long time.....
From what I've read from those moving to Delaware and settling in 55+ communities..... in your former homes, you had no help in removing snow from driveways or walkways. Delaware is a wonderful place to live, and the more I read, the more I realize that. In over 70 years in Delaware, we've not lived in an age-restricted community and have rarely shoveled snow after blizzards. People in Delaware we've lived around all our lives, just pitch in and get the job done....not only for the elderly, but for all ages. It's always been that way. In Delaware, 55+ communities are not unique in the snow removal issue, but I understand it is a great marketing tool. Nevertheless, I'm happy you're all enjoying snow removal now.
Somehow I think you talked to my neighbors about that helping thing, damn AARP you guys are a cult of old people scamming us younger people with mind control and fresh apple and pecan pies. Its funny how these tasty treats showed up at my house before the snow did. My one armed butt took care of many a driveway up here in the civilized part of the state, ha ha. For those that don't know I have two arms so don't feel bad for me. Its really a win win for the ladies as well, they get their driveways shoveled and get to watch a young, handsome stud like myself do it

All that being said, I wouldn't trade helping out some of you older folks for anything. Heck in a few years I'll be 40, eating rye bread and getting my +1s to read. I figure I have at least 12 years before its my turn....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Somehow I think you talked to my neighbors about that helping thing, damn AARP you guys are a cult of old people scamming us younger people with mind control and fresh apple and pecan pies. Its funny how these tasty treats showed up at my house before the snow did. My one armed butt took care of many a driveway up here in the civilized part of the state, ha ha. For those that don't know I have two arms so don't feel bad for me. Its really a win win for the ladies as well, they get their driveways shoveled and get to watch a young, handsome stud like myself do it

All that being said, I wouldn't trade helping out some of you older folks for anything. Heck in a few years I'll be 40, eating rye bread and getting my +1s to read. I figure I have at least 12 years before its my turn....
Hey there bud, I'm a female over 60 and I guarantee I could kick your butt all around the golf course That "handsome stud" stuff is just a temporary condition and my guess it that none of the ladies were even watching. Most likely they were laughing because you fell for the old "tasty treats" trick. Or maybe they were inside packing for that 10 day cruise to the Carribbean that your social security tax contribution is paying for. Keep shovelling son...
Now I do believe it's time for a nice cup of tea.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM

For Charley and the gang...
Thanks for stopping in for a visit today. I totally enjoyed meeting all of you and look forward to making some lasting friendships. We must do lunch soon...

Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Hey there bud, I'm a female over 60 and I guarantee I could kick your butt all around the golf course That "handsome stud" stuff is just a temporary condition and my guess it that none of the ladies were even watching. Most likely they were laughing because you fell for the old "tasty treats" trick. Or maybe they were inside packing for that 10 day cruise to the Carribbean that your social security tax contribution is paying for. Keep shovelling son...
Now I do believe it's time for a nice cup of tea.
Sheeesh you do realize I was joking, don't you? just a little running joke with rdlr about upstate being superior. I hope they're going away on my dime good for them they deserve it, and I'll never see it. Yes the tasty treats will always work on me. The handsome stuff has lasted 38 years and should last at least 20 more. I hope the tea you drink now has less **** in it than this mornings tea.

Last edited by James420; 12-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: good grief

Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Sheeesh you do realize I was joking, don't you? just a little running joke with rdlr about upstate being superior. I hope they're going away on my dime good for them they deserve it, and I'll never see it. Yes the tasty treats will always work on me. The handsome stuff has lasted 38 years and should last at least 20 more. I hope the tea you drink now has less **** in it than this mornings tea.
Yep, I know you were joking. So was I. Sorry to upset you so much.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 AM

388 posts, read 998,173 times
Default Happy new year to us all!

May we be the first to wish everyone on this board a grand and healthy New Year. The folks who participate on this thread are a close-knit lot and we seem to care for each other whether we have met in person or not. Here's to 2011 as the year we all find the right place for us (be it Delaware or not) and we have the health, wealth, and strength to see our dreams come true. And for those among us who are already happily settled in Delaware, please continue to share your enthusiasm and knowledge with those following in your footsteps.

Vic and Pat in Maine

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM

75 posts, read 139,953 times
Yes indeed...a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to everyone.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
May we be the first to wish everyone on this board a grand and healthy New Year. The folks who participate on this thread are a close-knit lot and we seem to care for each other whether we have met in person or not. Here's to 2011 as the year we all find the right place for us (be it Delaware or not) and we have the health, wealth, and strength to see our dreams come true. And for those among us who are already happily settled in Delaware, please continue to share your enthusiasm and knowledge with those following in your footsteps.

Vic and Pat in Maine

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Thank you for that and know that we wish all a happy and successful New Year as well. We certainly hope any planning a retirement in DE find the home they are looking for and end up as content as we are. Each passing day truly reinforces the fact that we made the right choice.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
Happy New Year to all. As is my custom, here is my report on my most recent trip to Delaware ... and once I finish this, I have many thank you notes to send.

Note to my friends at Champions Club. If you wish to share this with the gang from last night who might not normally see City-Data posts, it's fine with me.

One of the sights that pleases us most is seeing the St. George's bridge from the north. It means I'm about to drive over the ditch and head toward Magnolia. By the same token, one of the sights that saddens us the most is seeing that same bridge from the south, which means we're heading back to New York. But our comment is always the same. We'll be back.

We had a magnificent two days in what will be our new neighborhood in eighteen short months. We discovered two new restaurants that we enjoyed very much (W.T.Smithers and Restaurant 55) and again enjoyed two favorites (Countrie Eatery and Frederica Pizza) and of course we spent some money in a variety of places including Bylers, the Dover Mall and elsewhere.

But once again, the magic of visiting Delaware is in seeing friends and making new ones - and this trip was the best yet. We had the good fortune of being able to see, and spend some time with (City-Data names) FromPA, CantWaitToRetire, SusieC and Dariasb but also had the first opportunity to meet Goin'2DE and EdB, along with almost two dozen residents at Champions Club at the Thursday evening get together at W.T.Smithers. When a few of us had dinner Wednesday night at Restaurant 55, there was a very lively crowd at the bar and we commented that they seemed to be having a great time. What we didn't know until Thursday night that it was that same Champions Club crowd enjoying their time at the bar. The spirit of friendship and comraderie is alive and well on Augusta National Drive! I have to tell you that by the end of Thursday evening, Marlene and I felt that we've known you all for years and we truly look forward to seeing you all again.

We also got to see the Christmas wonderland at Can'tWaitToRetire's home. Absolutely beautiful. When we were at Byler's the next morning, we saw their holiday display and decided that they didnt hold a candle to what CWTR created in her home!

On Thursday afternoon we visited Goin'2De and hubby in their beautiful new home at Roesville. Not only is her home very nice, but some of her decorating ideas were so impressive that Marlene and I headed right out to the same place where "Goin'2" bought some of her items so that we could take a look to see what we could do for our current home in New York.

Thank you Goin'2De, FromPA and Can'tWaitToRetire for your hospitality and a special thank you to the "Champions Club" gang for your warm welcome and for sharing a wonderful evening with us.

Many individual thank you notes will be written and sent in the next few hours. Marlene and I are very grateful for your friendship. A special note to RDLR - there are lots of folks who are looking forward to meeting you. If I can help make those connections for you, just say the word.

We plan to relocate in about 550 days (not that we're counting, you understand.) We can't wait!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM

42 posts, read 67,397 times
Default A couple of questions

I enjoy reading all of your posts.
One thing that I'm a little cautious of is that I am trying to decide where I should retire in about 3 years or so.
The reason for my uncertainty is that I am single. I am also a dog owner (although right now my dog is a little one having
recently lost my older dog who passed at the age of 16).

So, my concerns are: are the communities spoken so highly of mostly couples communities? how distant is shopping or doctor's office
if one is ill and has not a partner? And of course I have to consider affordability as I will have but one pension and savings from
one life. Don't get me wrong I have a good job and currently own a home. However, I am in an upstate NY county and homes are not
going to sell for a fortune these days.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Looking for a community where people might say hello, share a drink or lunch once in a while and someone else might be walking
a dog.

Thanks in advance. As stated, it is a pleasure reading your accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware