Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason_190 View Post
The reason why most 55+ communities are NOT GREEN is because GREEN does not = ENERGY EFFICIENCY. Being Green is a great thing, it means that you make the most of non-renewable resources. You can be green but still not have a high energy efficiency home. You can keep your 3K and give me a high energy efficiency home because I will make it up in the long run. Being Green is being marketable - not energy efficient. Sorry!
Apparently the State of Delaware disagrees with you. Why else would the state be offering the $3K rebate? I'd love to hear your more of your "expert" opinion on this issue.
And also, please do tell us about your home. It must be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason_190 View Post
Everyone says their home will sell without a problem. The reality is, it will take time and your not going to get the price you want. Why not get approved for a second home, and buy now with the low interest rates?
I do (somewhat) agree here. The home market is still shaky at best. Selling even the best home in the best location requires lots of skill on the realtor's part, lots of luck on the seller's part, and a buyer who sees your home as exactly the one he/she wants. The last aspect is the most important in today's market. It's the BUYER who makes the sale...not the seller and not the realtor .
Naturally one has to remain optimistic, but making irreversible financial plans nowadays can create some hardship if you're not careful. It's always best to have a workable "Plan B".
We were lucky. The right buyer came along at the right time. Even so, it took 7 months to sell our home. While after several price reductions, neighbors on our street had their home on the market for over two years and finally decided to take it off the market and stay.
With the market the way it is now, your best strategy is to "expect the best, but be prepared for the worst".

Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I do (somewhat) agree here. The home market is still shaky at best. Selling even the best home in the best location requires lots of skill on the realtor's part, lots of luck on the seller's part, and a buyer who sees your home as exactly the one he/she wants. The last aspect is the most important in today's market. It's the BUYER who makes the sale...not the seller and not the realtor .
Naturally one has to remain optimistic, but making irreversible financial plans nowadays can create some hardship if you're not careful. It's always best to have a workable "Plan B".
We were lucky. The right buyer came along at the right time. Even so, it took 7 months to sell our home. While after several price reductions, neighbors on our street had their home on the market for over two years and finally decided to take it off the market and stay.
With the market the way it is now, your best strategy is to "expect the best, but be prepared for the worst".

We were lucky too..sold our home in 2 months after purchasing another one.
There is no way I would ever do that again especially in todays market.
too risky.
not Unless you have lots of money or can afford to own 2 home......
IMHO

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM

388 posts, read 998,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
The home market is still shaky at best. Selling even the best home in the best location requires lots of skill on the realtor's part, lots of luck on the seller's part, and a buyer who sees your home as exactly the one he/she wants. The last aspect is the most important in today's market. It's the BUYER who makes the sale...not the seller and not the realtor .
I could not agree more as we are recent veterans of just such a scenario. It is definitely the buyer who calls the shots these days. I do not care if YOU think your house is perfect, on the water, close to shopping, etc. You have already bought that house, now it has to appeal to somone else who may or may not agree with you about its wonderfulness. There are plenty of homes with water views in New England that were near our home and despite location, they are still sitting years later. Yes, years! And these are gorgeous homes. We went through 3 price reductions and 7 months and even at that I feel we were very fortunate. It is not like 5-6 years ago when the seller could get what he asked for. Times have changed. I would never buy a new home without selling the first. I do not have the money to maintain 2 houses nor do I have the stomach to tolerate it. End of tirade .

On to more pleasant fare.....yesterday we picked out our last options for the new home at CC and most importantly, we got our settlement date. Now there is light at the end of the tunnel. We also met Charley and susieC for the first time and it was so nice to finally meet people we have been chatting online with for many months. The next step is a pre-construction meeting with the infamous Jeff to go over the nuts and bolts of the house. To balance our time here - as there IS life outside CC! - I have our taxes to finish, Lewes to explore, new doctors to line up, etc etc etc. Life is good........

Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Oh congratulations little eggplant..........that is wonderful and exciting news. Brings back memories of 4 years ago when we bought this place. A wonderful feeling and so much to explore.
Near by places that would be a little drive are also fun to explore
Annapolis,
Baltimore harbor,
Just signed up for a trip to Mount Vernon with a cruise on the potomac with Kent county trips for $45 a person.....includes entrance fees, transportation and cruise.
Suicide bridge in MD is another ditty on our list
St Michaels in MD is a nice place to visit for the day....great seafood restaurant too.
There is so much to do and so much to explore.
After you have done it all, you want to go back and do it again. At least we do. With spring around the corner...........I'm in planning trip heaven.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Default Whitetail Run

I'm not sure if it is 55+, but does anyone know anything about Whitetail in Clayton?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Not sure what you're looking for specifically but found this while googling

585 Whitetail Run, Clayton DE - Trulia

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I'm not sure if it is 55+, but does anyone know anything about Whitetail in Clayton?
Hi Joe, my Friend!
No, it's not a 55+ community but it IS one of my Favorite Places! They are custom built homes, and range between $192,000 for a 1,300 sf ranch with 2 car garage, to $249,000 for a 2,100 sf 2 story with a 2 car garage. P R Builders markets these, and they are custom built. You can get a basement, if you choose. When you meet with the builder, they will give you a page of options, with black/white prices for each item you may want to add. You can pick your own model from the many they have, or bring your own plans. Directions: From Rt. 13, West at Cheswold (which is Seven Hickories Road, or Rt. 42) continue on towards Kenton. Before you get to Kenton, it's on your left. Zip Code is 19938 and address is Clayton, DE. But all of the town of Kenton has that same zip and address. Hope to see you this summer!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
It was wonderful to see FromPA and SusieC and EdB and to meet Little Eggplant and to spend time with the amazing group of people who have settled into Champions Club. While I was there, I picked up a little something.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 56,955 times
Pretty cool Charley! Congrats again!

Hey elizamary, you live in southern meadows don't you? Did you ever do the sleep on it? Do you know if they charge any $? I meant to call today and ask but I got distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware