Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH123 View Post
Goin'2DE, it is my understanding that your homes are built on a slab foundation. I am intrigued to why you bought a home on a slab versus a conditioned crawl space or basement, and what are the advantages? Please let me know, this is valuable information to readers of this thread. Lets talk about this.

I look forward to hearing from you.
My hubby and I moved into our Roesville home 1 1/2 years ago. Since then there have been 20 additional homes constructed with 4 additional lots sold. Construction of those 4 will begin in the very near future...the lots are already prepared...bringing the total to over 40 homes.

We love our community, our neighbors, and the peaceful rural atmosphere. It is exactly what we wanted.

I wish you happiness as you search for your perfect retirement community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
And I hope now we can return to talking about a few more 55 + places. I believe Roesville had been covered very well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
With 80 days until our official arrival in Delaware (I remember when it was "8 to 10 years" away), I decided to look back over this almost five year old thread to see the various twists and turns that my journey has taken - and to enjoy the comments of so many others who provided such good assistance along the way. It's been a real treat for my wife and I to have met so many of you.

Over time, I've also met others who have told me that they have read this thread at various points over the years, but never posted. For those who do provide info, you should know that there are many others who also gained insight and learned much from the things that you've all posted. This really has been an informative and helpful thread. It's rare for a thread to last for five years, but this has been a very experience for many people.

Let's take another step toward helping each other. For those reading, but not posting, please consider joining the conversation. For all the things we know about some of the various 55+ communities and activities, there is still a lot we don't know. There are many 55+ communities in Delaware where we've not seen any posts from those who live there. So if you're out there, please jump in. And for those who had participated but may have stepped back over time, come on in again. If it's because you are so busy with the activities in your community, that's terrific. Tell us about it!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And I hope now we can return to talking about a few more 55 + places.
Great minds think alike. We probably started posting at the same time, but it took me a while longer to get my thoughts together. You're right. I'd love to hear what other people are doing in the other communities. Maybe there's an idea out there that we might like to bring back to our own community!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Great minds think alike. We probably started posting at the same time, but it took me a while longer to get my thoughts together. You're right. I'd love to hear what other people are doing in the other communities. Maybe there's an idea out there that we might like to bring back to our own community!
Excellent idea. We've heard so much about Champion's Club and Roesville and there are a few who have posted about their communities at Noble's Pond and Longacre. There is a wealth of info on the internet about other Delaware 55+ communities but I wish more from those areas would talk about their experiences.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
With 80 days until our official arrival in Delaware (I remember when it was "8 to 10 years" away), I decided to look back over this almost five year old thread to see the various twists and turns that my journey has taken - and to enjoy the comments of so many others who provided such good assistance along the way. It's been a real treat for my wife and I to have met so many of you.

Over time, I've also met others who have told me that they have read this thread at various points over the years, but never posted. For those who do provide info, you should know that there are many others who also gained insight and learned much from the things that you've all posted. This really has been an informative and helpful thread. It's rare for a thread to last for five years, but this has been a very experience for many people.

Let's take another step toward helping each other. For those reading, but not posting, please consider joining the conversation. For all the things we know about some of the various 55+ communities and activities, there is still a lot we don't know. There are many 55+ communities in Delaware where we've not seen any posts from those who live there. So if you're out there, please jump in. And for those who had participated but may have stepped back over time, come on in again. If it's because you are so busy with the activities in your community, that's terrific. Tell us about it!
So, now you are counting the days, Charley? That is what I was doing last year, counting the days till retirement. Everything has gone so well for you and I hope things just keep getting better and better. You deserve it since you helped out so many people on this discussion.

Congratuations!

Now, personally I was very wary of some communities I looked at that had "proposed" amenities. Who knows what could happen if a builder ran into financial problems. Nobles Pond had no pool when I looked 4 years ago, but they do have a beautiful pool now. They are still on the top of my list of places to go. I got mailings from a couple of places who had photos of pools and clubhouses but when I got there there were only billboards showing where these will be built. Of course some people don't care about having a pool anyway and would like the lower fees. One place I looked at told me there was a public pool in town I could use, and a state park with a water park, which is probably what we can a splash pad, for kids to run around and get wet - well, I could do that here where I live now and I have a beach 1 mile away, so that was not a good suggestion. I believe there is an ideal, maybe not perfect, place for all of us; you just have to find it.

Good luck to all in your search!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM

19 posts, read 37,196 times
Cool Still 'Wishin' and Hopin' ... and trying, trying, trying to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Charley- Everything has gone so well for you and I hope things just keep getting better and better. You deserve it since you helped out so many people on this discussion.

Congratuations!

Now, personally I was very wary of some communities I looked at that had "proposed" amenities. Who knows what could happen if a builder ran into financial problems. Nobles Pond had no pool when I looked 4 years ago, but they do have a beautiful pool now. They are still on the top of my list of places to go. I got mailings from a couple of places who had photos of pools and clubhouses but when I got there there were only billboards showing where these will be built. Of course some people don't care about having a pool anyway and would like the lower fees. One place I looked at told me there was a public pool in town I could use, and a state park with a water park, which is probably what we can a splash pad, for kids to run around and get wet - well, I could do that here where I live now and I have a beach 1 mile away, so that was not a good suggestion. I believe there is an ideal, maybe not perfect, place for all of us; you just have to find it.

Good luck to all in your search!
RIGHT-ON!!! We're really happy for Charley too (as noted earlier). But RE: postings over the previous ten pages or so discussing agricultural wells, sewage and water charges, swimming pools (to build or not to build), % of homes built in 55 community before clubhouse construction begins, ditch maintenance fees, water/sewage fees, etc ... HEY FOLKS ... these ARE the things us wanna beeze from outa' state want to hear about and want or need-to-know. I agree that continuous (i.e, excessive) postings regarding benefits, status or progress of a particular 'builder's subdivision' may be an attempt to sway prospective buyers and often tire very quickly of it. On the same note, while we appreciate moderators monitoring the ebb and flow of 'same', ... we in the outer limits of 'tread-dom' are often able to pick up mucho insights as to the sales pitch and/or political bent of a bias posting.

For us? Well, compared to some participants on this thread, we're still newbies trying to sell our house in NJ so we can move to DE. And say "BRING IT ON." We to want to hear as much input from those (veteran mover-inners) and locals, etc - to help us clearly find "the best fit" for US; where the community's nuances and offerings best fulfill our wants, wishes and needs. Sometimes we want to know in-depth observations and findings about HOA fees; Who's active / who's not! Who pays for snow removal (the county, state or us)? Which builder is not constructing a clubhouse or swimming pool. All these [positive and/or negative] observations are VERY important.

Sorry for ranting ... I must say thanks again for all who post on this thread. 'Nuff said ... () ... Jim

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie & Jim View Post
Sorry for ranting ... I must say thanks again for all who post on this thread. 'Nuff said ... () ... Jim
No need to apologize. This thread was always intended to be a conduit for good information for those considering moving to the 55+ communities of Delaware. I've learned a lot from the folks who post here and I've also shared things that I've learned as well. It was always my hope that all who participate do the same - and fortunately most do. The value of the information herein is self-evident, as we're about to complete our fifth year of sharing with each other. I think that's an impressive accomplishment for one thread on any forum.

( ... and yes, Retiree2011. We are definitely counting. 77 days remain until the moving van arrives! 11 weeks from today.)

Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie & Jim View Post
RIGHT-ON!!! We're really happy for Charley too (as noted earlier). But RE: postings over the previous ten pages or so discussing agricultural wells, sewage and water charges, swimming pools (to build or not to build), % of homes built in 55 community before clubhouse construction begins, ditch maintenance fees, water/sewage fees, etc ... HEY FOLKS ... these ARE the things us wanna beeze from outa' state want to hear about and want or need-to-know. I agree that continuous (i.e, excessive) postings regarding benefits, status or progress of a particular 'builder's subdivision' may be an attempt to sway prospective buyers and often tire very quickly of it. On the same note, while we appreciate moderators monitoring the ebb and flow of 'same', ... we in the outer limits of 'tread-dom' are often able to pick up mucho insights as to the sales pitch and/or political bent of a bias posting.

For us? Well, compared to some participants on this thread, we're still newbies trying to sell our house in NJ so we can move to DE. And say "BRING IT ON." We to want to hear as much input from those (veteran mover-inners) and locals, etc - to help us clearly find "the best fit" for US; where the community's nuances and offerings best fulfill our wants, wishes and needs. Sometimes we want to know in-depth observations and findings about HOA fees; Who's active / who's not! Who pays for snow removal (the county, state or us)? Which builder is not constructing a clubhouse or swimming pool. All these [positive and/or negative] observations are VERY important.

As most of us have not met you personally, nor do we know your needs or wants, please feel free to ask specific questions. There is always someone here who will know the answers.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM

42 posts, read 90,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
As most of us have not met you personally, nor do we know your needs or wants, please feel free to ask specific questions. There is always someone here who will know the answers.

People purchasing a new home in Delaware, especially from surrounding states do not always know all the right questions to ask. I was just offering some suggestions and it seems I hit a nerve.

I am sure people love to hear all the success stories, and I personally think its great. However, there needs to a serious discussion of the marketplace. It can only help. If you get offended, I apoligize in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware