Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 05:37 AM

124 posts, read 264,242 times

Advertisements

Charley - Thanks for responding to NJtoDE for all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoDE View Post
Hello G2D,

Thank you for your insight. However, I was not talking about Roesville, or J.S. Hovanian, I am interested in K.Hovnanian at Longacre Village.

I have alot of experience in this industry and if you think $110 month will cover indoor/outdoor pool and a huge clubhouse you must be out of your mind. It is all a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Do you have any idea what even street light costs are?

Your comment about when 50% is complete it will be turned over to the HOA scares me the MOST. Are you kidding me. Lets say 200 people @ 110/month = 22K/yr. That does not even cover electric for clubhouse in a year! Now that mentioned the 50% thing, I will not even consider Roesville. It is typically 90%-95% when the builder/developer turns the HOA over to the homeowners.

Just an FYI there is no way that Roesville homeowners can support the clubhouse/pool without at least 300 homeowners at 200+ HOA fees. I am sorry for anyone that bought at Roesville - you will not get any clubhouse or pool for a long time and when you do, expect your fees to be about 200+ a month probably more.

GointoDe - the most important thing before building a pool/clubhouse is building up the reserves to support your amendities. How can a huge clubhouse and indooor/outdoor pool be supported when there is no reserve? Do you really thing J.S is going to fork out money that he doesn't have? Smarten up!

I will lay my reputation on the line that Roesville will not have a clubhouse within 5 yrs maybe 8. If it is within 5 yrs they will have debt and the fees will be 200+. My prediction is that J.S will be out of Roesville within 3 yrs. J.S cannot keep paying off the intrest on land that they own when they are not selling - NV homes learned this lesson back in the 80's, that is why they went bankrupt. Same thing is going to happen here. The lettering is on the wall.

I promise you this.
Instead of being so negative, perhaps you could have injected a bit of wisdom. Since you have so much "experience in this industry" we on this forum might benefit more from constructive suggestions and information rather than inappropriate personal comments. If you would like to lay your "reputation on the line" you might want to choose a different approach.

It is my belief that most of the kind, intelligent posters on this forum are fully aware of the current economic situation in this country and many new home buyers already feel like they are gambling with their future security. I have found that this forum has helped me better understand that others (55 and better) are facing the same uncertainty and doubts as are my hubby and I. But ya know what? We're all making choices despite the risks! Yes, we have different priorities when it comes to choosing a home; and yes, we disagree; and yes, some of us might make a mistake or two. But in my opinion the purpose of this forum (and someone please chime in and correct me, if I'm wrong) is to offer support, ideas, general information, and to share experiences with others who share the same concerns.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoDE View Post
Hello G2D,

Thank you for your insight. However, I was not talking about Roesville, or J.S. Hovanian, I am interested in K.Hovnanian at Longacre Village.

I have alot of experience in this industry and if you think $110 month will cover indoor/outdoor pool and a huge clubhouse you must be out of your mind. It is all a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Do you have any idea what even street light costs are?

Your comment about when 50% is complete it will be turned over to the HOA scares me the MOST. Are you kidding me. Lets say 200 people @ 110/month = 22K/yr. That does not even cover electric for clubhouse in a year! Now that mentioned the 50% thing, I will not even consider Roesville. It is typically 90%-95% when the builder/developer turns the HOA over to the homeowners.

Just an FYI there is no way that Roesville homeowners can support the clubhouse/pool without at least 300 homeowners at 200+ HOA fees. I am sorry for anyone that bought at Roesville - you will not get any clubhouse or pool for a long time and when you do, expect your fees to be about 200+ a month probably more.

GointoDe - the most important thing before building a pool/clubhouse is building up the reserves to support your amendities. How can a huge clubhouse and indooor/outdoor pool be supported when there is no reserve? Do you really thing J.S is going to fork out money that he doesn't have? Smarten up!

I will lay my reputation on the line that Roesville will not have a clubhouse within 5 yrs maybe 8. If it is within 5 yrs they will have debt and the fees will be 200+. My prediction is that J.S will be out of Roesville within 3 yrs. J.S cannot keep paying off the intrest on land that they own when they are not selling - NV homes learned this lesson back in the 80's, that is why they went bankrupt. Same thing is going to happen here. The lettering is on the wall.

I promise you this.
The math is a little( or a lot) off.........$110 per month per 200 families = $ 22,000 per month
PER YEAR........$264,000. Double that figure at 200 per month HOA fee...and if you add another 100 homes ( the 300 home figure) its a ton of money.

I should mention that most of the lake communities in PA are run on between $400 and $800 per Year ( per homeowner). For the clubhouse, pool, lake and roads!.......
The community should be fine and dandy........ Best of Luck to All.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
But in my opinion the purpose of this forum (and someone please chime in and correct me, if I'm wrong) is to offer support, ideas, general information, and to share experiences with others who share the same concerns.
That was exactly my intent when I opened this thread three years ago.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
NJtoDE,

You've made a pretty strong prediction that JSH will bail from Roesville within three years. Can you back up that prediction with any factual information that would be helpful to prospective buyers?

Thanks in advance.
We've considered the remote possibility the JSH could "bail from Roesville" and have taken the risk anyway. That could happen to any new community. We decided that the very worst that could happen is that we would be stuck with a nice little house in the country, some pleasant neighbors, a corn field out back, a place to park our motor home, living on social security and military pension and public school pensions, have a good health care plan, two wonderfully brilliant children (maybe some grandkids), but no clubhouse. Oh darn...how tragic is that? Am I an optimist?? Absolutely...life is too short to live it otherwise.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:41 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
We've considered the remote possibility the JSH could "bail from Roesville" and have taken the risk anyway. That could happen to any new community. We decided that the very worst that could happen is that we would be stuck with a nice little house in the country, some pleasant neighbors, a corn field out back, a place to park our motor home, living on social security and military pension and public school pensions, have a good health care plan, two wonderfully brilliant children (maybe some grandkids), but no clubhouse. Oh darn...how tragic is that? Am I an optimist?? Absolutely...life is too short to live it otherwise.
I actually cannot imagine that they would bail out. That would undermine any future plans they might have for new communities. I could see them change various conditions and financial arrangements, further delay clubhouse and pool, and perhaps even scale down the ultimate size of the community - but totally bail? I'd be very surprised.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM

40 posts, read 80,824 times
[quote=NJtoDE;14881759]Napajoe,

Where did you buy? Because you mentioned stairs I am assuming you have a conditioned crawl space with a crock pit and sump pump. 8'' pour concrete walls? 3'' slab with crushed stone below? Interior/Exterior drain tile system? Is your grading per plan? If you have mold growing, there is something serious going on down there. Be sure to check your warranties and document everything. Mold is a major problem and will never go away unless it is properly treated.

NJtoDE, I bought a Broadmoor at Champions Club and paid extra for a 4' crawl. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. CC's standard spec's for a crawl are 3000 psi air entrained concrete, 8" wide by 48" high (extra foot option) poured concrete wall with 2" thick concrete floor slab over 6 mil vapor barrier. It does have a sump with an interior perimeter drain. There is no mention of crushed stone and I see no evidence of it from pictures taken during construction.

During one of my first inspections I discovered water in the crawl. After bringing it to their attention,they removed a lot of the foam boards from the walls and added urethane sealant where the wall meets the slab. They feel the water is from condensation and temporarily added a dehumidifier. They also mentioned someone neglected to install the vents so the crawl was not conditioned. This has been addressed, the mold was removed and so far has not returned and the crawl has been dry.

Keeping our fingers crossed. This Friday is our 30 day review. Thanks for your comments and your concern.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,215 times
Delaware changed their laws effective July 1, 2009 with regard to HOA's. Any improvement shown on a community site plan or graphic representation must be built, and "The extent to which financial arrangements have been provided for completion of all improvements that the declarant is obligated to built pursuant to ...." is one of the items required to be disclosed to a prospective purchaser, so I think Roesville for sure will be building their clubhouse.

The new law is online in its entirety under delcode.delaware.gov. It is Title 25, Chapter 81. Delaware Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act. It is somewhat dry reading off and on, but it is definitely interesting and a wealth of information.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM

42 posts, read 67,441 times
Default Hi and a question

Im not quite ready to retire yet. But am considering possibilities as I may be in that position in about 3 - 4 years.

Im single and with a dog.
Right now I have a home but would love to give up mowing lawns and so forth.

I am a little concerned that the communities being discussed may not have shuttle services or transportation. As a single person, should I ever be ill and not be able to drive would these communities be too out of the way to manage?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times
Default single and retirement plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoes View Post
Im not quite ready to retire yet. But am considering possibilities as I may be in that position in about 3 - 4 years.

Im single and with a dog.
Right now I have a home but would love to give up mowing lawns and so forth.

I am a little concerned that the communities being discussed may not have shuttle services or transportation. As a single person, should I ever be ill and not be able to drive would these communities be too out of the way to manage?
Snowshoes,
Almost exactly my situation, single, retiring in 3 1/2 years (but with 3 cats). I have looked at CC and other 55+ communities and they are not close enough to grocery stores etc. if and when I decide to stop driving. To "age in place" I am considering condos in the Lewes, DE area.

You might want to look at The Vineyards at Nassau Valley, Plantations, Plantations East, Villas at Bay Crossing, and 5 points.

I insist on handicap accessibility - so I am considering condo's with elevators or ground floor units. The Vineyards at Nassau Valley are new condos. The others I mentioned are resales. I particularly like the Plantations condos w/ garage if I go the resale route (in the $200-$225K range). Plantations is only about 2 miles from The Vineyards at Nassau Valley which will have an entire communnity with stores, resturants etc. It is also only about 3 miles to Beebe Hospital and Lewes does have bus transportation in the area. Runner up in the resale condos would be Villas at Bay Crossing (not to be confused with the 55+ Bay Crossing community which is up in the $300K+ range.)

I will be going back to DE next year to look at the resale communities. I have already visited TVNV which I really liked, but, could end up in the $235K price range + $285 per month condo fees. (See my previous post regarding TVNV.)

Lewes area is very walkable and you can also bike most everywhere and less than 5 miles from the Bay and the Atlantic ocean! Only problem if I settle on a condo west of rt 1 is crossing route 1 to walk or bike to downtown Lewes. Villas at Bay Crossing is east of route 1 which is a big +.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware