Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM

75 posts, read 139,953 times

Advertisements

I’m in my very early 60’s and for two years now a retired, single, professional electrician from New York City. A work related injury made sure I retired early on social security disability and a full pension.

All my life I’ve been an apartment dweller but the last couple of years has brought some negative changes to my NY Queens neighborhood and I’m looking to move forward and to a place where I can enjoy the remainder of my life.

My biggest problem is I don’t know where to move to. Being a city boy, born and raised, I don’t know if I can get use to living in a rural area. I’m spoiled by the conveniences of city living with most things easily accessible and within walking distance at all hours of the day and night.

Having a sister-in-law living in New Jersey I know full well that the taxes of New York, New Jersey and from what I read Pennsylvania are a financial killer especially to retired folks living on a fixed income. Like everyone else I would like to get the most bang for my money.

Although I love the sight of pristine, fresh fallen snow and the beautiful pine covered mountain scenery of the northeast the idea of snow shoveling and heading into colder regions during a time in which fuel consumption is becoming costly and prohibitive just doesn’t make sense to me. On the other hand, moving too far south where the weather can be stifling and the energy/money sapping hum of air-conditioning is the everyday norm doesn’t make sense to me either.

So starting out like many of you I plan to do my homework and plan to visit condos and 55+ communities in the Delaware area. After reading through this very helpful thread I’ve begun to gather information and lay down a plan of attack. I’ve recently sent for and received my brochure packet from Champions Club and I’m awaiting packets from Noble’s Pond, Southern Meadows, Roesville, Spring Arbor and The Vineyards At Nassau Valley. Not sure yet as to a condo or 55+ community. I’m looking in the $200,000 - $325,000(max) price range.

Last edited by NY2DE; 07-21-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

124 posts, read 264,103 times
Hi Again Everyone,

After a long break in writing (as I've been getting settled in my new home in CC) I just wanted to say "hi." I'm getting along well (although being by myself was NO WHERE in our retirement plan!) and getting acquainted with the Magnolia/Dover area and with my neighbors. Both are WONDERFUL! I'm not sure what great things I've done to "deserve" the awesome neighbors that I have in CC! They have befriended me, helped me and included me in their activities. It's not easy being the "5th" or "7th" chair in a dinner group but these incredible folks don't mind at all! I have been given recommendations for fantastic doctors and have hurried to get appts. and establish relationships with an endocrinologist, and internist (in an very impressive internal medicine practice) and a foot doctor who I needed almost immediately for a serious injury to my achilles tendon. And did I mention a visit to the ER my third week here (fortunately my ankle was not broken but I might have preferred that to an injury to my achilles). But I got a handicapped placard out of the deal and now get to park in the front of parking lots (boy, you can tell how many older people live in DE; almost everywhere I go the handicapped spaces are FULL!). All the doctors, labs and hospitals in Dover thus far have been "networked" so that the foot dr. could pull up the X-rays I had taken at the Kent General ER right on his office computer, the internist could see the bloodwork done for the endo. and so on). We did not have such a networked system in my home area in MD. I'm impressed! And EVERYONE who serves you, waits on you, or provides a service for you (at least thus far!) has been friendly, helpful and have gone the extra mile to provide good service. Other than it being hotter 'n you know what - everything is good. McKee has been extremely responsive on the few follow up/walk-through items I've had and the contractors who work for them are also professional and impressive.

Congrats to those of you who have recently made your model/community choices - I hope you like everything as much as I do! Stay cool and stop by when you're in the area!!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DE View Post
Hello all:

...I could not have been luckier when finding this thread. It has taken me about a week, on and off, but I have read the whole thread through from the beginning and what a wonderful and informative thread it has been. It will no doubt serve as an invaluable guide for future 55+ home buyers in the Delaware area...

I, too, was lucky to find this forum. And yes, it is wonderful to have so many willing to answer questions and relate experiences.

Welcome aboard NY2DE.

Last edited by Goin'2DE; 07-21-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdland View Post
We have looked at all of the 55+ communities in Delaware and have found that Roesville, although just in its infant stages, seems to be in a nice area and the houses are appealing to us. When it comes down to it we like Roesville and McKee communities. It appears that you get more for you money at Roesville realizing that the clubhouse is not there yet and may not be there years. This is the only thing that is holding us back from making a firm decision.
The clubhouse (actually lack thereof) at Roesville seems to be the sticking point for many on this board. I can understand the concern some have, but it wasn't a major priority for us at this time. We all have different needs, eh?

We're starting to get a bit (OK, alot) excited about our new home. The foundation was poured last week. I haven't seen any pix, but framing should be underway by now. And also it's good news to hear that we'll have new neighbors right next door...contracts have been signed on 3 other lots on our street. Phase I is now complete and 5 homes in Phase II are getting ready to sprout.

(Why do I keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation"?)

Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 AM

135 posts, read 298,487 times
NY2DE, coming from Baltimore, where we lived just 10 minutes from the Inner Harbor, and always having lived in major cities, we too shared your concerns about rural living. That's part of the reason we chose CC, it's proximity to Dover. While it's hardly within walking distance of amenities, (I don't know any 55+ community in Kent County that is) we have found it to be quite centrally located for shopping, doctors, hospital, etc. Also, the sunrises/sunsets are magnificant.

We moved in on June 8th and every day has been a total delight. We love our new home and are very happy with the quality of contruction. Any concerns, no matter how minor, are addressed immediately. We are loving the pool (as long as you stay submerged) and clubhouse.
We had to go back to Baltimore last week and could not wait to get back over the Bay Bridge and "home". It's amazing how quickly we adapted to the slower pace. Our new Delaware neighbors have been nothing but warm and welcoming. It's such a pleasure to shop here....they actually do care if you buy something and will stop their conversations to wait on you!

What we do miss most about Baltimore? The restaurants! Have not been been able to find a good crabcake. However, for what we have gotten in return, it's more than worth the trade.

We looked for well over 2 years in Delaware b/4 making a decision. We wouldn't change a thing...I hope everyone is as happy as we are. In helping you make your decision, you will incredible support on this Forum as we've all been there.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 AM

137 posts, read 313,540 times
Default Two Months to Go

We closed on our Michigan house last week. Yay! The next day we drove 12
hours down to DE so we could accept delivery of our furniture for storage.

Yesterday we did a drive-by of our lot in Southern Meadow. The concrete footers are now in. We also had a delightful dinner and visit with Elizamary and her DH. (thanks again, EM and B). She can look out her kitchen window and watch the progress on our new home.

Now we are on the way back to MI (another 12 hours straight through--argh!) to get the RV which will be home for the next two months. No more 12 hour drives back and forth anymore, though.

To start our new lives as Delawareans, we went out and signed up for EZ Pass!

Jonalyn

Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Quote:
My biggest problem is I don’t know where to move to. Being a city boy, born and raised, I don’t know if I can get use to living in a rural area. I’m spoiled by the conveniences of city living with most things easily accessible and within walking distance at all hours of the day and night.

I’m looking in the $200,000 - $325,000(max) price range.
NY2DE,

I suggest you consider renting a condo in the Lewes area during the off season for a week. I rented a small 650sq ft condo in downtown Lewes just to get a feel for what it would be like to live near a walkable town. It was the closest thing to what it might be like living at TVNV when it is completed. The Vineyards is located about 4 miles west of Lewes, DE.

Lewes (because it is a beach town) has the advantage of having condo's to rent for a week and at a fairly reasonable price in the off season. You can also get a much better feel for the activity or lack there of when you visit in the off season. Lots of places to eat in Lewes, but, I think they roll up the sidewalks about 10PM.

You may want to explore things you might want to do in retirement - that you never had time or the opportunity to do during your working life in the city. You may find many new interests such as fishing, kayaking, volunteering at Cape Henlopen state park - things not available to you in the city.

The nice thing about the Lewes area is that if you set up your base of operations there for a week you will be within 25 minutes drive to visit most all of the 55+ comunities in Kent and Sussex counties.

I share your desire to be within walking/biking distance (or a short bus ride) to stores, places to eat and doctor's offices. In addition I want no yard work and also no stairs to climb.

Mary2014

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM

144 posts, read 360,860 times
Quote:
I’m in my very early 60’s and for two years now a retired, single, professional electrician from New York City. A work related injury made sure I retired early on social security disability and a full pension.

All my life I’ve been an apartment dweller but the last couple of years has brought some negative changes to my NY Queens neighborhood and I’m looking to move forward and to a place where I can enjoy the remainder of my life.

Having a sister-in-law living in New Jersey I know full well that the taxes of New York, New Jersey and from what I read Pennsylvania are a financial killer especially to retired folks living on a fixed income. Like everyone else I would like to get the most bang for my money.

Although I love the sight of pristine, fresh fallen snow and the beautiful pine covered mountain scenery of the northeast the idea of snow shoveling and heading into colder regions during a time in which fuel consumption is becoming costly and prohibitive just doesn’t make sense to me. On the other hand, moving too far south where the weather can be stifling and the energy/money sapping hum of air-conditioning is the everyday norm doesn’t make sense to me either.

So starting out like many of you I plan to do my homework and plan to visit condos and 55+ communities in the Delaware area. After reading through this very helpful thread I’ve begun to gather information and lay down a plan of attack. I’ve recently sent for and received my brochure packet from Champions Club and I’m awaiting packets from Noble’s Pond, Southern Meadows, Roesville, Spring Arbor and The Vineyards At Nassau Valley. Not sure yet as to a condo or 55+ community. I’m looking in the $200,000 - $325,000(max) price range.
I read that you're awaiting your information regarding Spring Arbor. Definitely visit this community, they have carriage homes and houses in the price range you are looking. This community is within walking distance of a Walmart, Kohls, and across the way is an emergency walk in care facility among other numerous stores and conveniences....such as a Quest Lab...etc....

Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 AM

75 posts, read 139,953 times
CWTR, I’m very happy to hear that you’re getting along and doing well. I think it’s just wonderful that your neighbors have embraced you as one of their own. Although you didn’t say this but I never imagined how funny it would be to be eligible for handicap plates only to find that the entire parking lot is dedicated to handicap parking…lol.

Sanddollar, congratulations on your home closing, I could only imagine your excitement and the anticipation of moving into your new home. Being “stoked” I believe is the new(not) adjective.

Thank you for welcoming me to your forum and for your support. SusieC, thanks for the encouragement, God knows I need it. DeeD, I most certainly intend to visit Spring Arbor. As you will see below it’s on my itinerary of communities to see.

I do have a few questions that would help facilitate my decision making. Here is a list of my preliminary questions:

I know that home insurance varies but does anyone know what is the average annual homeowners insurance cost?

What is the estimated average annual property tax?

Keeping mortgage interest rates in mind, I’m not exactly sure if I could mortgage a new home through Delaware or will I have to mortgage through my home state of New York?

Does anybody know what the current average mortgage interest rate is in Delaware?

Was the transfer tax divided 50%/50% between the builder and the buyer or does the buyer/builder shoulder the full payment?

On average, how much time generally did it take you to walk through and view the model homes?

Before signing off on your home construction can you bring in an independent home inspector?

Does one have to put up an extra one month (deposit charge) HOA fee upon buying into the community?

Did you use an attorney in contracting your home?

Mary2014:
Quote:
I suggest you consider renting a condo in the Lewes area during the off season for a week. I rented a small 650sq ft condo in downtown Lewes just to get a feel for what it would be like to live near a walkable town. It was the closest thing to what it might be like living at TVNV when it is completed…

Lewes (because it is a beach town) has the advantage of having condo's to rent for a week and at a fairly reasonable price in the off season….
Mary, I think this is a good idea. Do they rent for a couple days or does it have to be per week? Since my present plan calls for visiting Spring Arbor, Noble’s Pond, Champion’s club, Southern meadows, Roesville and Vineyards at Nassau Valley, a span of almost 77 miles divided within perhaps a 5 day/week period, I might need a second centrally located hotel/inn to split up my visits between the communities. Is there a list of these off season condo rentals that you suggest? Do you have any names, telephone numbers, addresses or directions to any of these condos that you can DM me?

It seems like a long drawn out road ahead and I truly appreciate all the help I can get especially from those who have been there before me.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
It seems like a long drawn out road ahead and I truly appreciate all the help I can get especially from those who have been there before me.
Welcome to the 55+ Communities thread. You're in the right place and it looks like you're asking the right questions. That's one thing you should never be shy about doing. There is only one stupid question, and that's the one not asked.

It is a long road. It's a journey that I actually started in early 2004 and won't end until the summer of 2012. But it's a wonderful adventure during which time I learned a lot, changed my mind a few times before making my final choice of community and met some absolutely wonderful people along the way.

I wish you the best of luck as you start this journey and look forward to seeing your progress along the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware