Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoDE View Post
Oh my, I was not implying that you bought because the home was on sale but rather that you bought because it would eventually be a better quality of life for you...
With that being said, I was thinking of the 24,000 sq ft clubhouse at Independence but I still think Roesville is still way out of line with their fees. Do you know how much an indoor pool cost to operate? Insurance? I am willing to bet the fees will be over 300/month if they ever do build anything. Sorry, but this is how I feel. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors out there and it looks like you got smoked.
NJ to DE
(Actually, you did imply just that on 7/10)
OK...let's all think about this. Your math was way off as you calculated annual costs for a clubhouse; you misquoted the square footage of Roesville's clubhouse confusing it with that of another community; you are now telling us about several Delaware communities that are chaining up their clubhouses and going bankrupt (yet you haven't named any); and most importantly you are a self-proclaimed expert. Personally, I see no evidence whatsoever that you have any clue about what you are saying. You have simply been an annoyance.

We, on this forum, are not stupid!! Each of us has studied and researched for quite some time before making any decisions. Some of us have made the home-purchase-decision, and some are still shopping and planning. Sometimes we have even disagreed...respectifully. Until you started posting here, I have found each and every post both helpful and constructive, positive in attitude, and think I might even form some lasting Delaware friendships as a result.

My advice?? Chill out...get a clue...be nice...think about how your words might be interpreted before you hit the "submit" button.

Now go out and have a really nice day.
Goin'2DE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Everyone should check out todays peeve in topics.
And yesterdays too.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 14,515 times
i personally find it annoying for anyone to provide their EXPERT opinion to people on this forum if they cannot get the facts straight. Show us figures. How much does it cost to run an indoor pool, what does it cost to keep a 10,000 square foot clubhouse going. Seems to me that over 500,000.00 a year should keep the clubhouse and community going. Provide some evidence.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM

14 posts, read 47,433 times
I just want to chime my two cents in here. I am a daughter of a couple who retired to DE about ten years ago and over all really enjoy living in Delaware. (Originally from NY) They moved two years ago to a 55+ community (lower DE). The folks who moved into this community were promised by the builder that their monthly common charges would take care of shoveling, gardening, maintaince of the pool and club house, etc. This has not been the case! The builder is in debt due to housing market collapse. Many of the houses are in mid construction mode or stand finished empty. The maintance fees keeps rising- yet minimal services are provided. Many of the residents of the community have had to move because they can no longer afford the increases or do not want to deal the headaches involved in dealing with this builder.

It is heartbreaking to see my parents and the other poeple of this community being taken advantage of. Please I urge you to do your research very carefully!! I would hate for this to happen to someone else.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrisgirl View Post
I just want to chime my two cents in here. I am a daughter of a couple who retired to DE about ten years ago and over all really enjoy living in Delaware. (Originally from NY) They moved two years ago to a 55+ community (lower DE). The folks who moved into this community were promised by the builder that their monthly common charges would take care of shoveling, gardening, maintaince of the pool and club house, etc. This has not been the case! The builder is in debt due to housing market collapse. Many of the houses are in mid construction mode or stand finished empty. The maintance fees keeps rising- yet minimal services are provided. Many of the residents of the community have had to move because they can no longer afford the increases or do not want to deal the headaches involved in dealing with this builder.

It is heartbreaking to see my parents and the other poeple of this community being taken advantage of. Please I urge you to do your research very carefully!! I would hate for this to happen to someone else.
Would you please tell us the 55+ community to which you are referring? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 PM

We pay $1.50 a month in our land lease so that if for some reason Southern Meadows were to fold, they would have to move us to another commuity.
as far as I know, we are protected by this.
That is all I know on this.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM

15 posts, read 31,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Please tell us which 55+ communities in Delaware have chains on the doors OR communities where the builder has bailed on a community where the clubhouse is in.

Odessa National
Vincent Overlook
Estates of Sea Chase

Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Please tell us which 55+ communities in Delaware have chains on the doors OR communities where the builder has bailed on a community where the clubhouse is in.
Quote:
Odessa National
Vincent Overlook
Estates of Sea Chase
These three communities are NOT 55+ communities. Maybe you meant Legacy at Odessa National? Then only two of your three communities would be incorrect. The inaccuracy of your facts continues to be problematic.

You made earlier reference to smoke and mirrors. Perhaps you might consider putting away your mirrors and clearing out your smoke so you can contribute here in a more helpful manner, unless there is a different agenda at work.

Quote:
I have a lot of experience in this industry
Maybe you should share what that experience has been to better help us better understand your contributions to this 55+ thread.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 07-20-2010 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 AM

Also, I'm quite sure De is not the only state that has communities falling by the wayside because the builders go broke.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times
Quote:
Odessa National
Vincent Overlook
Estates of Sea Chase

OK NJtoDE...you are partially correct on this one...as Charley stated, [Legacy at] Odessa National is the only 55+ community on your list. But there is also a point that you neglected to mention; a point that all potential homebuyers should never overlook. RESEARCH your builder's reputation! The aforementioned communities are all from the same company (sometimes listed under a different name).

"Ryan Homes" has been involved (and is still involved) in several Delaware lawsuits over shoddy construction, lending scams, failure to deliver promised ammenities, and the list goes on. I found several references online to these problems last fall as my hubby and I were in the process of making our home-purchase decision. The red flags were there .

The lesson here is obvious. Just as most thinking adults would be wary of buying a designer watch or a pair of sneakers from a man selling them from the trunk of his car, we should all be wary of promises that seem too good to be true when making the investment in a new home. I am posting one link here and, if it is not deleted by the forum moderator, all here should read it and gasp at the photos as I did the first time I saw them .
Ryan Homes Defects and Consumer Warnings

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware