Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 AM

560 posts, read 916,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdave View Post
Hello folks

I happen to live in Legacy, and will openly admit that the Ryan/Capano duo makes for a rather strange combo. The thing that bothers me most about the conversations here in this thread is the belief that builders like McKee are any different. I contest that they use the same materials, the same Hispanic labor, and will end up with the same 50 year lifespan homes. .

You are correct. It is indeed a gamble for us all. Hopefully our new home will last the 50 years that you predict because if it only lasts for 30 we might have to move again. Are there any active adult communities in Delaware for those 95+?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Are there any active adult communities in Delaware for those 95+?
There might be - but the bocce ball tournaments take forever!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
If you like a community and you know it is for you, don't let anyone tell you different. there are many gurus but only you know and can invision your retirement life.
You know what you can afford, what you like and what makes your happy.

Different strokes for different folks

It's a gamble for all of us mainly due to the housing market these past few years. I dont care where you buy. You will see flaws eventually about something. Doesn't mean it was right for you. Just means thats life.

Going to DE......do you think we will be active at 95? Well I sure hope so. (smile)

Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
There might be - but the bocce ball tournaments take forever!
If I outlive my 50yr home and cannot finish a round of bocce ball before dark, I just might have to resort to playing BINGO! Oh no...please not that!!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
If you like a community and you know it is for you, don't let anyone tell you different. there are many gurus but only you know and can invision your retirement life.
You know what you can afford, what you like and what makes your happy.

Different strokes for different folks

It's a gamble for all of us mainly due to the housing market these past few years. I dont care where you buy. You will see flaws eventually about something. Doesn't mean it was right for you. Just means thats life.

Going to DE......do you think we will be active at 95? Well I sure hope so. (smile)
Yes..."that's life" and, considering the alternative, I'll take whatever it gives me.

I'm thinking I'd like to live to be 98 and then get shot by a jealous wife!! How's that for a plan?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Sounds like a great plan

Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,515 times
Is there anyway to block NJtoDE from this forum. He only takes up space that makes me wade through his unintelligent posts.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdland View Post
Is there anyway to block NJtoDE from this forum. He only takes up space that makes me wade through his unintelligent posts.
No - it's an open forum and only the moderators can make that kind of determination. Further, he really has not done or said anything that violates the terms of service so he maintains his right to post.

It is my hope that he will realize the audience in this thread is comprised of people who have relocated - or plan to relocate - to 55+ communities in Delaware and are sharing information about the experience in order to help each other. Hopefully upon knowing his audience, he will participate in a way that contributes in a positive way.

If you wish, you can use the ignore feature and not see his posts.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 14,515 times
Thanks for your response. Although I do not post many things on this forum I find the information invaluable since myself and my wife are looking to move to a 55+ community as soon as our home sells in PA. We have looked at all of the 55+ communities in Delaware and have found that Roesville, although just in its infant stages, seems to be in a nice area and the houses are appealing to us. When it comes down to it we like Roesville and McKee communities. It appears that you get more for you money at Roesville realizing that the clubhouse is not there yet and may not be there years. This is the only thing that is holding us back from making a firm decision.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM

75 posts, read 140,038 times
Hello all:

I stumbled across this forum quite by accident while googling for Delaware’s weather after first reading an MSN money article about the most tax friendly states for retirees: The Basics -- Which states give retirees the best deal? - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/retire/basics/9838.asp - broken link)which showed Delaware at the top of the list. It was then that I discovered that City-Data had forums. I could not have been luckier when finding this thread. It has taken me about a week, on and off, but I have read the whole thread through from the beginning and what a wonderful and informative thread it has been. It will no doubt serve as an invaluable guide for future 55+ home buyers in the Delaware area.

I would like to thank all the contributors to this thread for sharing their insight and information. Special thanks to Charley for astutely originating and driving this thread and the ever charming Elizamary who welcomes and encourages us to her world while offering valuable input about the surrounding area. I do hope she gets her golf cart.

As I read and became engrossed I found myself connecting with many of the posters running an emotional gamut from laughing out loud at the tone of some and smiling with joy as others made their decisions, sold their homes, made their settlements and started their move. Throughout I could sense your stress and concerns, your ups and your downs and I applaud and congratulate you.

I must say that I was taken completely aback and deeply saddened by the passing of CWTR’s husband. I sympathize with her struggle, her loss and my heart goes out to her and her family. CWTR, you are a real trooper and may God always embrace you, bring you comfort, sooth your grief and guide you.

For those like myself, still searching and researching I wish you all the very best in finding your dream home.

Last edited by NY2DE; 07-21-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware