Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM

53 posts, read 117,164 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I was wondering if anyone has any updated information on what is going on at Barclay Farms. That was the first community I visited 2 years ago and it opened my eyes to how nice a 55plus community could be. I am curious about what does happen when the builder wants to pull out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM

560 posts, read 916,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeoutofhere View Post
...We thought we wanted Dover, 3 bedroom home, and with the ability to fence the yard for our dogs where we owned the land, and my husband wanted to be able to have a flagpole.

Went to Roesville and just didn't get that "home" feeling.

Maybe I haven't spent enough time at each place. For me it's very hard to decide where to live out your life in just an afternoon. But, as I said, it was good to have someone who could at least narrow things down...
Hi there "letmeoutofhere" (I love the screenname).
You made some very valid points in your comments. It seems you have set your priorities and are ready for the "big decision".

Sorry to hear that Roesville doesn't have that "home feeling" for you. We've been here since October and absolutely love the place. The neighbors are wonderful. The homes are well built, energy efficient, and certified "green".
Flagpoles? Not permitted, but the HOA does allow the American flag to be attached to the front of the house (my hubby is retired military, too).
Near a military base for shopping? Yes, we do shop at Dover AFB. It's about a 15 minute drive.
Fences? Yes. The style is described in the HOA regs. We have a fenced in area for our little dogs.
Deciding in one afternoon? No way. It takes time and multiple visits to narrow down your choices.
If ever you're back at Roesville, feel free to stop in to say hello.
I wish you success in finding your new home.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM

560 posts, read 916,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Goin' - Are you asking only about 55+ wallpaper? Or are you just asking 55+ 'ers in
55+ communities this question?

All kidding aside - Airbase Carpet Mart next to the Blue Hen Corporate Center. Enter at South Little Creek Road and make a right. Huge selection of wallpaper and carpet.
I stopped in today. They do not sell wallpaper.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I stopped in today. They do not sell wallpaper.
YeeGads!!!! So sorry. It was only last year I bought all of mine there. Guess they discontinued that. Sorry, Goin' !

Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM

96 posts, read 190,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertca View Post
hey jude na nana i moved to de just over 7 and haven't found a person i've not liked .
Indeed! When I relocated to NJ almost 20 years ago, I was delighted to find a wealth of friendly, helpful, warm people. I see the same in DE and, again, am delighted. This forum and the 55+ communities we're moving into goes a long way to help us start out with new friends. Hopefully, I'll get to meet you too one of these days!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 PM

96 posts, read 190,470 times
[quote=letmeoutofhere;19379541]
Maybe I haven't spent enough time at each place. For me it's very hard to decide where to live out your life in just an afternoon. But, as I said, it was good to have someone who could at least narrow things down.quote]

Hi letmeout... I, too, agree that you really should spend more time in DE to get a better feel for the areas that interest you. As a native Virginian (Norfolk/Va. Beach) with a daughter and grandsons in MD, Dover situates me pretty much where I want to be and Nobles Pond was the first place I fell in love with. Before deciding though, I looked and looked (I wasn't sure I wanted Land Lease, which NP was at that time), always staying over in Dover and branching out from there. (Nope! That's incorrect. I once took advantage of Southern Meadow's generous Sleepover offer and thoroughly enjoyed it.) Still, I found multiple stayovers over time worked best for me to get to know the overall area better.

A friend also gave me a wonderful suggestion: "Leave your hotel and go out around 9 pm to a local store--just as you would if you found you were out of something you'd absolutely need the next morning. Also, see how the community you favor looks at nightime. Do you feel comfortable?"

I did exactly that and found that, indeed, I felt comfortable. (I even met the security guard that night.) While at the local grocery store, i even took the opportunity to price some items I use all the time to see how they compare with prices where I shop here. It was an excellent way to get a feel for how It would be living there so I'm passing it along to you and others who are still looking.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM

20 posts, read 55,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Page 9: "Effective January 1, 2000, taxpayers age 60 and over are entitled to exclude from taxable income up to $12,500 of the aggregate amount received from the following sources: dividends, interest, rents, capital gains, employer provided pensions, and qualified retirement plans (e.g., IRA’s & 401(k) plans)."
charley, you are INCREDIBLE! but is this for an individual taxpayer or is the 12,500 per couple, thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclancy View Post
charley, you are INCREDIBLE! but is this for an individual taxpayer or is the 12,500 per couple, thanks!
Nah, I'm pretty credible (but thank you). It's $12,500 per taxpayer, so up to $25,000 per couple.

There is great information like this available in the Delaware Data Book: http://dedo.delaware.gov/pdfs/databook/Databook.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 06-01-2011 at 03:26 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 AM

25 posts, read 47,691 times
Hi Friends - It's me again - formerly known as Can't Wait to Retire! Somehow my e-mail and password were completely locked out and I couldn't seem to get it resolved so I decided to "re-name" myself and jump back in! Just wanted to let everyone planning to attend the CC Community Open House on June 11 to know that I'll have my Austin open and would love to meet you! I have a full basement - the only Americana Series so far in CC to have one. So if you're interested in seeing how a full basement totally doubles your available space - stop in to see me!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,028 times
Default thank you!

Goin'2DE - thank you for the invitation. We do need to check all the places out again. When my friend and I were down we wanted to check out all the "possibilities" before bringing my husband down. He gets confused if I take him to house after house. If I narrow it down it's easier for him to see that they don't all look alike. I'll give a holler if I can get some time off from work some weekend.

Hey Jude na na na na! - thank you also for the excellent suggestions. I wish that all of the communities would let you stay there for a few days at least. It seems they all have open houses and special weekends to come and visit but it's not that easy for me to get off work. Your friends idea was great and you also find out what is available in the area.

You both seem like the kind of good people that would be great neighbors.

Now comes the hard part. Where do we really want to be? What was it that cinched the deal for you? The amenities? I know Roesville's clubhouse isn't built yet so that wasn't a factor. Did it make a difference to have one already built? Was it a particular club or get together that made you feel like you would participate? Or does that even matter? I don't think hubby would initiate much unless I pushed or went with him.
Is it really just a "feeling" or was there one outgoing person who you really wanted to get to know?

I think I'm just scared of making a wrong decision. When you are young and looking for your first house, nothing seems insurmountable. You can re-do the kitchen, you can take up carpets. Now I need someone else to do the work so a brand new house definitely is appealing.

Sorry for the long messages, I talk this much in person also! But my hubby doesn't, so we sort of balance out.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware