Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times

Advertisements

I've been incredibly lucky to have the best dentist for the last 25 years. He recently took on a new partner who worked with him for over two years before beginning to take over the practice - their personal style and methods are so closely matched that it's almost like going to the original person. I've never been pushed to have an unnecessary procedure - I have all my wisdom teeth (which are impacted but don't bother me) and neither dentists has ever recommended removal. That's good, because at my age, I don't think I could take it. I even still have a baby tooth, at age 66, which my dentist has lovingly "babied", since there is no permanent tooth underneath it (my teeth came in weirdly due to a cleft lip). I only have fillings if a cavity shows up clearly on an x-ray, and that is very seldom; I've had one filling in the past 10 years. Oh, and I use a fluoride toothpaste - no oils for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
You should consider pushing oil. It is known to cause miraculous formation of missing teeth in clefts.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM

932 posts, read 898,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I think everyone should do this oil pushing. The patients in my office who talk about their oil pushing tend to have the worst teeth.

humm millions of reviews online tends to think different

Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Well, If it's on the internet then it must be good.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
My research shows oils can help if properly done. Are they a substitute for brushing and flossing? No. But it can help.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I am a person who is pretty much in the middle when it comes to conventional and "alternative" remedies. Anyway, re the oil; I don't have any patience for 20 minutes of "oil pulling", and frankly jmo, don't think that is needed. However, I DO believe coconut oil has some good properties for teeth and gums, what I do is brush my teeth with it and a bit of baking soda. I will also go around the gumline carefully with my end tuft brush dipped in the oil. My hygienist thinks I am doing a great job.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am a person who is pretty much in the middle when it comes to conventional and "alternative" remedies. Anyway, re the oil; I don't have any patience for 20 minutes of "oil pulling", and frankly jmo, don't think that is needed. However, I DO believe coconut oil has some good properties for teeth and gums, what I do is brush my teeth with it and a bit of baking soda. I will also go around the gumline carefully with my end tuft brush dipped in the oil. My hygienist thinks I am doing a great job.
The key point is you brush your teeth. Gum disease is caused by plaque. Plaque is a bacterial biofilm that forms on the teeth and around the gumline. It needs to be disrupted by mechanical means i.e. brushing. Snake oil, toothpaste, or whatever doesn't really help if you are not physically brushing properly to begin with. You can brush your teeth with a wet toothbrush and still produce results as good as the other stuff (in terms of plaque removal).

Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
The key point is you brush your teeth. Gum disease is caused by plaque. Plaque is a bacterial biofilm that forms on the teeth and around the gumline. It needs to be disrupted by mechanical means i.e. brushing. Snake oil, toothpaste, or whatever doesn't really help if you are not physically brushing properly to begin with. You can brush your teeth with a wet toothbrush and still produce results as good as the other stuff (in terms of plaque removal).
I agree, and said as much in another thread.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,877 times
A dentist ruined my life. All he saw was dollars. My teeth were healthy before I went to him. But 5 root canals as a result overly done dental work

Old 09-09-2016, 05:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I don't know about being shady, they just see a lot of $$$$ signs when we visit them. That can be true of all medical providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health