Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times

Advertisements

My dentist is my cousin and I trust him fully. When I needed my wisdom teeth out, the oral surgeon he referred me to was spectacular. No pain, no bruising, no swelling. Mine were impacted and a mess, too. When I had a horrid abscessed tooth and needed RTC, the endodontist he referred me to was seriously amazing. He showed me on the x-ray what it was, how he would do it, step by step. I thought that was really neat and he was very kind and would make jokes to put me at ease. I had to get another RTC and went somewhere else as the first guy was on vacation for 2 weeks (lucky lol). I needed in ASAP, so my options were limited. He still did a great job, but my anxiety was really bad and they said they were going to have to give me the laughing gas. They charged me 200 bucks for it..I was a little peeved at that. I know things cost money, but they didn't even okay that with me. Plus, it was only making their job easier haha I do think I remember my cousin saying once that it's expensive to keep the gas in an office, so I also could be being too harsh on them.

The crowns he just did for me were over 3k (they were special somehow). My insurance was maxed out, so it covered nothing. I only paid $600. I've been blessed. I don't have great teeth, so I spend a lot of time at the dentist. I also have bad dental anxiety, so having one I trust is important. Him giving me huge breaks on cost is also a life saver..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Have had my share of the less then forthright in Budgetary dental care.

Dentist 1: Was recommended by a co worker. Said to tell them I was a referral and to put me on the friends and family plan. WHo knew that you charged 20% more for friends and family. $4000 dollars later and only one cap put on, I got to thinking. Is this guy really looking out for my best interest? Nope! So off I go to dentist #2.

Dentist 2: Was forthright and had a dental plan that matched my budget. He even gave me "free" cleanings and 1 set of ex-rays (no cost) since I paid on the spot and didn't veer from the daily teeth plan. So 2000 k later I found myself unemployed. He was very understanding of this quandary. SO we put the plan on hold.

The biggest hassle I had was Getting my dental records from Dentist 1. He insisted they were "THeir property" for when I choose to come back. I said just send me the copies of all you have. They didn't. It took a well versed Legal assistant to send them a letter. Two weeks later my Dentist #2 got the records. While he didn't outright say Dentist number 1 was scamming me, he did stated that some procedures were truly unnecessary for what was needed on the goal plan. To this day I am ired by the fact that I PAID for all the ex-rays and procedures necessary by Dentist 1 and he still chose to be a jerk about releasing the documentation.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It isn't in all cases but if a dentist is rolling in money so much so that he can afford to spend money like it is going out of style.. you have to ask yourself why. Typically it is because he is successful at billing for unnecessary procedures.

Yep, there's no way they could be successful just from doing good work and developing a good reputation. Anyone with a lot of money must have stolen it.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

The biggest hassle I had was Getting my dental records from Dentist 1. He insisted they were "THeir property" for when I choose to come back. I said just send me the copies of all you have. They didn't. It took a well versed Legal assistant to send them a letter. Two weeks later my Dentist #2 got the records. While he didn't outright say Dentist number 1 was scamming me, he did stated that some procedures were truly unnecessary for what was needed on the goal plan. To this day I am ired by the fact that I PAID for all the ex-rays and procedures necessary by Dentist 1 and he still chose to be a jerk about releasing the documentation.
The records are the property of the dentist. They bought the paper, the charts and the film, etc. You paid for the service provided, not for ownership of the xrays. This has been hashed out many many times by the state boards.
But you are entitled to a copy, just not the originals. He must keep the originals for medicolegal protection.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It isn't in all cases but if a dentist is rolling in money so much so that he can afford to spend money like it is going out of style.. you have to ask yourself why. Typically it is because he is successful at billing for unnecessary procedures.
Unnecessary procedures like mouthguards, deep cleanings, and x-rays, right?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM

To summarize this thread up to this point:

Dentist with a run down office and drives a beat up Ford Pinto = he's scamming me because he's broke and needs money.
Dentist with a nice office and drives a Mercedes = he's scamming me because he needs to make payments on his fancy stuff.

Multiple dentists say I need dental work = they are all scamming me.
One dentist says my mouth is ok = dentist is great and I will only go to him.

I had to pay money out of my pocket for dental work = dentist is scamming me; work was unnecessary.
My insurance covered my dental work = dentist is great; I needed the work.

I got multiple opinions = The cheaper dentist/option is always the correct one.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:02 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Unnecessary procedures like mouthguards, deep cleanings, and x-rays, right?
I'm really not anti dentist but I am pro taking care of one's health including dental care. I have a mouthful of dental work and if I had listened to a dentist about 30 yrs ago when he told me I had "pockets" and need to consider deep cleaning, I would have spent more money in my mouth. My anti oxidant I have been taking for decades cleared up that part of my dental issues, my gums. They are tight, and very healthy.

I've been fortunate I guess as I believe MOST of the dentists I've used have been fair and I still have a lot of their dental work in my mouth.

And yes, I've stopped doing the xrays about 7 yrs ago give or take. But did them for most of my life.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
if I had listened to a dentist about 30 yrs ago when he told me I had "pockets" and need to consider deep cleaning, I would have spent more money in my mouth.
Honest questions:

1) Were you missing any teeth prior to that dental visit?
2) How many (if any) additional teeth have you lost in the past 30 years?

Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Honest questions:

1) Were you missing any teeth prior to that dental visit?
2) How many (if any) additional teeth have you lost in the past 30 years?
I can't remember what was in my mouth 30 yrs ago. I have crowns and bridge work but I do remember him telling me you have deep pockets...that was when I was living in San Jose and that matters not. I'm 79 yrs old and lots of history in my mouth.

But finally I've changed my ways on junk eating and carbs and RIGHT NOW I'm good and no dental visits.

A lot of people and especially older folks spend lots of time at doctor/dentists offices and that fills up their life and I'm not there at this point and MAYBE it will stay this way.

About losing teeth, probably 20 some yrs ago a fixed bridge fell out while eating rocky road ice cream, oh how I remember that day. A dentist here made me a 3 tooth flipper and it's work Great all these years. Impressing anyone with beautiful teeth is not where I am. I have no pain and that is good.

My history on teeth and dental health was all from being born/raised after depression, there was no money and kids didn't go for checkups, they went when there was dental pain and we ATE far far too much foods that went to sugar, including cokes/pepsi...when I think back...but that's how it was.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-07-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't remember what was in my mouth 30 yrs ago. I have crowns and bridge work but I do remember him telling me you have deep pockets...that was when I was living in San Jose and that matters not. I'm 79 yrs old and lots of history in my mouth.

But finally I've changed my ways on junk eating and carbs and RIGHT NOW I'm good and no dental visits.

A lot of people and especially older folks spend lots of time at doctor/dentists offices and that fills up their life and I'm not there at this point and MAYBE it will stay this way.

About losing teeth, probably 20 some yrs ago a fixed bridge fell out while eating rocky road ice cream, oh how I remember that day. A dentist here made me a 3 tooth flipper and it's work Great all these years. Impressing anyone with beautiful teeth is not where I am. I have no pain and that is good.

My history on teeth and dental health was all from being born/raised after depression, there was no money and kids didn't go for checkups, they went when there was dental pain and we ATE far far too much foods that went to sugar, including cokes/pepsi...when I think back...but that's how it was.
Thanks. Although it sounds like you are still in that same mindset as in the Depression i.e. pain = need dentist; no pain = everything's good. Just because there is no pain does not mean everything is hunky dory. This goes for the entire body, not just the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health