Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I agree. I have gotten 3 root canals... and now that I am an adult I can't understand why I have had 2 of the 3 done.

First one was majorly broken. And this is the one I'm dealing with now:

I am in a predicament where one of my crowns fell off with the core and everything. There is very little tooth exposed above the gum line. The local dentist said now I need to get the tooth removed and get an implant. I am not really sure what to do... because I don't want to do this... trauma, infection, not to mention the thousand of dollars it will cost me.

Have you (anyone) read the book called "Cure tooth decay"? For the OP and others facing root canals, I would try taking Green Pasture Cod liver oil/butter oil capsules daily and see what happens. Increase quality Vitamin D and C intake. See what happens. At this point waiting a few weeks is not going to kill you.
A friend of mine once had to have a tooth "built up" so there was enough to hold a crown.

Obviously, in your case this may not be possible......but it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion before jumping into the risks and costs of an implant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM

63 posts, read 89,433 times
Is the tooth visible when you smile and laugh?? if so, save it. If not, get it pulled.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
Is the tooth visible when you smile and laugh?? if so, save it. If not, get it pulled.
Bad advice.

A missing tooth will cause the teeth around it to shift, causing more trouble and more tooth loss down the road.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM

72 posts, read 99,812 times
My husband and I both had ours pulled. We can't see paying that kind of money. We're both happy with our choice.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I just had a root canal done yesterday. One visit. However, I did have the antibiotics for a day before I had the RC done. I'm still in pain.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I just had a root canal done yesterday. One visit. However, I did have the antibiotics for a day before I had the RC done. I'm still in pain.
Didn't the dentist give you a script for pain pills? Mine did.

Anyway, you saved your tooth!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
The opposite is actually true. Implants require "implant maintenance" and can fail as well.
I have two implants and this is the first time I've heard of "implant maintenance". Color me skeptical. I can't imagine what could possibly be done during so-called implant maintenance.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
The opposite is actually true. Implants require "implant maintenance" and can fail as well.

It's tough to give the OP sound advice without a radiograph and medical history, but much of the time root canal + crown is not only the better option, but it is also a fraction of the cost.

As for five visits, that does sound a bit extreme. But the dentist may be planning on 2 visits for the root canal and 2-3 visits for the crown procedure. Also, antibiotics take 48-72 hours to produce therapeutic affects in dental infections. If you are seeing no improvement after 2-3 days consider having your dentist switch the antibiotic. If your swelling increases to your eye or you develop difficulty breathing or swallowing (especially while on an antibiotic), get your ass to an ER.
An implant can fail but it's rare. In fact, a failed root canal is more common.

"Implant mainanance" is something you just made up. A modern implant requires the same maintenance as a real tooth. Brush, floss, rinse.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM

48 posts, read 101,703 times
Root canal is use for save damage tooth.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM

98 posts, read 543,749 times
https://www.hu-friedy.com/products/i...dex/file/id/11
http://www.pdtdental.com/documents/2...-Therapist.pdf
Guidance for the maintenance care of dental... [J Can Dent Assoc. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

There ya go, straight from the manufacturer/supplier of implants & a few other links for your enjoyment. They were some of my first hits on google. Misinformation spoken with conviction doesn't make it any more true.

In a dental setting, implant maintenance on our patients would consist of removing the crown, flushing chlorhexidine rinse in the implant, scaling tartar off the implants, etc. Some of these procedures are unique to implants and wouldn't be necessary on a tooth with an RCT/crown. The ADA billable code for this procedure is D6080. http://www.amphi.com/media/4767249/a...20implants.pdf

This is particularly important in patients who have zero natural dentition and maybe 8+ implants supporting an overdenture. If all they ever did was brush, floss, rinse without regular dental implant checkups the **** could hit the fan before they would even smell it.

And sorry, implants fail nearly as often as RCTs fail for many of the same reasons & some unique ones. I've seen healthy patients with multiple implant failures. The failure rate is nearly identical to RCT teeth, depending on which study you read. Additionally, research indicates implants require far more follow up care, even surgical procedures, than teeth that were treated with root canals.

https://www.aae.org/about-aae/news-r...ot-canals.aspx

There are many factors that play a role in this decision, but as a dentist on an otherwise salvageable tooth, I choose a RCT/crown over implant nearly every time. And yes that includes in my own mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health