Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 02:17 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I've had deep cleaning ONCE and it was that or go for a second round of gum surgery. NO, thank you very much. I found a practice that isn't too corporate and doesn't have a punitive attitude. When I got there I had 8 bleeding spots and pockets deep enough for them to recommend another deep cleaning. I was not working and had just moved for financial reasons and told them no, it's not on. So we do quarterly regular cleanings and I do mad amounts of home care. They tell me gum disease is not your fault, it's an inflammation thing in your body and a chronic condition. I appreciate not being blamed for having gum issues after all the time and money I've spent on my teeth over the years.

The thing is that I do whatever they tell me. I rinse, I tongue-scrape, I floss and use proxabrushes and rinse my mouth even away from home after eating. I am now, with regularly scheduled regular cleanings, down to one bleeding spot and holding steady at whatever pocket depth I had when I got there. You can't get the pockets smaller without gum surgery, but you can keep them clean and free of inflammation and infection.

Then you just have to hope your next flare-up doesn't undo everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 08:24 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've had deep cleaning ONCE and it was that or go for a second round of gum surgery. NO, thank you very much. I found a practice that isn't too corporate and doesn't have a punitive attitude. When I got there I had 8 bleeding spots and pockets deep enough for them to recommend another deep cleaning. I was not working and had just moved for financial reasons and told them no, it's not on. So we do quarterly regular cleanings and I do mad amounts of home care. They tell me gum disease is not your fault, it's an inflammation thing in your body and a chronic condition. I appreciate not being blamed for having gum issues after all the time and money I've spent on my teeth over the years.

The thing is that I do whatever they tell me. I rinse, I tongue-scrape, I floss and use proxabrushes and rinse my mouth even away from home after eating. I am now, with regularly scheduled regular cleanings, down to one bleeding spot and holding steady at whatever pocket depth I had when I got there. You can't get the pockets smaller without gum surgery, but you can keep them clean and free of inflammation and infection.

Then you just have to hope your next flare-up doesn't undo everything.
Don't use a broad brush to paint a scene. You say your doctor said that gum disease "is not your fault."

Perhaps it wasn't YOUR fault (you, NYC refugee). But inflammation is caused BY SOMETHING. People don't spontaneously grow infections for no reason at all. Yours could be genetic, or genetically predisposed and unaware that you needed more professional care than you were getting (no matter how much care you were already taking).

And most people's gum disease is NOT genetic. That means that they, the individual people, are doing or not doing SOMETHING to cause that gum disease. Not brushing properly, using the wrong type of brush, not flossing, poor eating habits or malnutrition, gaps where there should be teeth that were never replaced, bone loss that was never addressed, heavy smoking, a dead tooth with a crack that was never checked because the person neglected to go to the dentist and get x-rays every year, and so on.

MOST gum disease is either preventable, or can be minimized with regular preventive care including yearly (or twice yearly) visits to the dentist.

SOME gum disease cannot, because SOME gum disease is genetics.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Don't use a broad brush to paint a scene. You say your doctor said that gum disease "is not your fault."

Perhaps it wasn't YOUR fault (you, NYC refugee). But inflammation is caused BY SOMETHING. People don't spontaneously grow infections for no reason at all. Yours could be genetic, or genetically predisposed and unaware that you needed more professional care than you were getting (no matter how much care you were already taking).

And most people's gum disease is NOT genetic. That means that they, the individual people, are doing or not doing SOMETHING to cause that gum disease. Not brushing properly, using the wrong type of brush, not flossing, poor eating habits or malnutrition, gaps where there should be teeth that were never replaced, bone loss that was never addressed, heavy smoking, a dead tooth with a crack that was never checked because the person neglected to go to the dentist and get x-rays every year, and so on.

MOST gum disease is either preventable, or can be minimized with regular preventive care including yearly (or twice yearly) visits to the dentist.

SOME gum disease cannot, because SOME gum disease is genetics.
This punitive attitude is very common and it wasn't like that when I was young. If you were ill, people expressed sympathy and doctors made you feel better. Now it seems doctors think it's fine to say oh, it's your own fault because you (smoke, drink, whatever) or you don't (exercise, eat right, whatever). I think this is a really wrong attitude and very often incorrect. I also think any doctor or dentist who blames me for having a painful and expensive problem and then makes it worse by adding insult to injury is not going to be my doctor/dentist for very long.

You can do everything by the book and still become ill or get a cavity. You can be literally too poor for preventive care.

I know it must be frustrating having patients that really don't care, but in some cases, you have no idea what it might cost someone to come to your office and go through discomfort or pain or shame and give you their money. The last thing they need is your contempt. So you shouldn't paint with a broad brush, either.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
This punitive attitude is very common and it wasn't like that when I was young. If you were ill, people expressed sympathy and doctors made you feel better. Now it seems doctors think it's fine to say oh, it's your own fault because you (smoke, drink, whatever) or you don't (exercise, eat right, whatever). I think this is a really wrong attitude and very often incorrect. I also think any doctor or dentist who blames me for having a painful and expensive problem and then makes it worse by adding insult to injury is not going to be my doctor/dentist for very long.

You can do everything by the book and still become ill or get a cavity. You can be literally too poor for preventive care.

I know it must be frustrating having patients that really don't care, but in some cases, you have no idea what it might cost someone to come to your office and go through discomfort or pain or shame and give you their money. The last thing they need is your contempt. So you shouldn't paint with a broad brush, either.
I'm not a dentist. I'm not a medical professional of any kind.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:10 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I had a deep cleaning done and it saved my gums. I actually enjoyed it. it wasn't pleasant but it was worth it. I now brush with a system and my gums are fine. I happen to have deep roots but I would have started to lose teeth if I hadn't done it. I do have a very good dentist that I trust.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:

My last post has sat there too long to edit so I'll reply again here:

When I was young, if you were ill, doctors spent time to learn what was wrong with you, and how you came to be ill. They would provide guidance and solutions. So if my dentist saw that I had a buildup of plaque under my gums, and some minor infection and swelling going on under there, he'd ask me what I was eating, whether I was getting exercise, if I was drinking/smoking/ "whatever"...

He would rule out the obvious: that something about my lifestyle contributed to the problem.

That was a dentist who cared about his patients' health, rather than his patients' feelings. If I need someone who cares about my feelings, I'll see a therapist. If I need someone who will smack me up'side the head for ruining my teeth by smoking, I'll see a dentist.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:

When I was young, if you were ill, doctors spent time to learn what was wrong with you, and how you came to be ill. They would provide guidance and solutions. So if my dentist saw that I had a buildup of plaque under my gums, and some minor infection and swelling going on under there, he'd ask me what I was eating, whether I was getting exercise, if I was drinking/smoking/ "whatever"...

He would rule out the obvious: that something about my lifestyle contributed to the problem.

That was a dentist who cared about his patients' health, rather than his patients' feelings. If I need someone who cares about my feelings, I'll see a therapist. If I need someone who will smack me up'side the head for ruining my teeth by smoking, I'll see a dentist.
It's a balance for sure. It's pointless going to a dentist that doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong and how to right it, but I've been told point blank you have these problems due to neglect, which couldn't be further from the truth. It infuriates me as I'd like to pull out all the years of visits and payments and flossing and brushing and special toothpaste and waterpiks, sonic toothbrushes, rinses, and whatever else the dentist thinks I have an endless supply of money for. I go 4x yearly and do use special brushes and rinses and a tongue scraper and a host of other first world stuff, at great cost, having never had dental insurance in my adult life. So anyone who wants to tell me neglect causes me problems is going to have a fight on their hands.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It's a balance for sure. It's pointless going to a dentist that doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong and how to right it, but I've been told point blank you have these problems due to neglect, which couldn't be further from the truth. It infuriates me as I'd like to pull out all the years of visits and payments and flossing and brushing and special toothpaste and waterpiks, sonic toothbrushes, rinses, and whatever else the dentist thinks I have an endless supply of money for. I go 4x yearly and do use special brushes and rinses and a tongue scraper and a host of other first world stuff, at great cost, having never had dental insurance in my adult life. So anyone who wants to tell me neglect causes me problems is going to have a fight on their hands.
If you're pressing too hard on the brush every time you brush, you're ultimately going to cause damage to the gums. If you eat /too much/ of the wrong foods, then no amount of flossing will protect your teeth, bones, and gums from damage. If you smoke, no amount of waterpik will remove the nicotine that's built up in your mouth all day. If you chew ice, no amount of special rinses will prevent your teeth from cracking. If you know you grind your teeth when you sleep and don't wear a mouth gard, no amount of sonic toothbrushes will prevent your teeth from wearing down.

Also for OTHER readers to know (since this forum isn't just a conversation between you and me) - there are areas in the USA where the municipality chooses not to control the fluoridation of the water. If there isn't enough, that area's residents will suffer more risk of tooth decay than in areas where the water supply's fluoridation is controlled. For those areas, residents should be using a fluoride rinse as part of their daily oral hygiene routine.

You're confusing neglect of health with bad oral hygiene habits. One can perform all the correct oral hygiene processes and still neglect their health and have bad teeth as a result. JUST like someone can do everything correctly to keep their overall health good, but neglect their oral hygiene processes and end up with bad teeth as a result. The two need to work together.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:37 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:

Huh? You get plaque build up because you aren't adequately brushing/flossing after eating soft, sticky or sugary foods. Lack of exercise, drinking and smoking don't cause plaque. You can run a marathon every day but if you go home and eat donuts or drink sodas and don't brush/floss afterwards you get plaque

Quote:
What causes plaque?
Plaque forms when bacteria in your mouth mix with sugary or starchy foods, such as milk, juice, soft drinks, bread, pasta and fruit. These bacteria release acids that break down carbohydrates in food and drinks. If you don’t brush your teeth soon after eating or drinking, the combination of bacteria, acids and carbohydrates can mix into a sticky, colorless film called plaque.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...0and%20drinks.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
If you're pressing too hard on the brush every time you brush, you're ultimately going to cause damage to the gums. If you eat /too much/ of the wrong foods, then no amount of flossing will protect your teeth, bones, and gums from damage. If you smoke, no amount of waterpik will remove the nicotine that's built up in your mouth all day. If you chew ice, no amount of special rinses will prevent your teeth from cracking. If you know you grind your teeth when you sleep and don't wear a mouth gard, no amount of sonic toothbrushes will prevent your teeth from wearing down.

Also for OTHER readers to know (since this forum isn't just a conversation between you and me) - there are areas in the USA where the municipality chooses not to control the fluoridation of the water. If there isn't enough, that area's residents will suffer more risk of tooth decay than in areas where the water supply's fluoridation is controlled. For those areas, residents should be using a fluoride rinse as part of their daily oral hygiene routine.

You're confusing neglect of health with bad oral hygiene habits. One can perform all the correct oral hygiene processes and still neglect their health and have bad teeth as a result. JUST like someone can do everything correctly to keep their overall health good, but neglect their oral hygiene processes and end up with bad teeth as a result. The two need to work together.
If you have such a punitive mindset that you want to split hairs and find a way to blame people for their issues, obviously you can work it out.
Many areas in the US are not municipalities and have little control over what's in their water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health