Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 04:38 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I believe it is a scam. But faced with EVERY DENTIST I saw insisting I needed it done, and their passive aggressive failure to treat if I wouldn't do it, I finally gave in.

Though I will absolutely refuse in the future if another dentist tells me I need it done.

I had "pockets" of 4 and 5 and I know those are too low to have it done but they insisted.

I really think dentists are about to put themselves out of business because pretty soon most people are just not going to go any longer.
Interesting. I've never had my dentist suggest a "deep cleaning" and I've been going there for years.

You can always refuse a treatment. I wouldn't feel shy about that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 12:38 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Deep cleaning helps for those with problematic gums.
I have very healthy gums, and never had any inflammation of any sorts. The second orthodontist that I consulted, wanted to send me to a periodontist before he would fix my teeth. Very funny episode, I will save it for another time. The third orthodontist, currently I am under his care, confirmed that my gums are healthy and needed no deep cleaning. Yeah, buyers beware.
I am very happy with my current general dentist, and orthodontist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I had cleaning done free on the NHS in the UK... along with composite fillings
Lucky you. Dental is not covered by the provincial health agency in Canada.
Welcome back. Missed your posts.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:14 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Deep cleaning helps for those with problematic gums.
I have very healthy gums, and never had any inflammation of any sorts. The second orthodontist that I consulted, wanted to send me to a periodontist before he would fix my teeth. Very funny episode, I will save it for another time. The third orthodontist, currently I am under his care, confirmed that my gums are healthy and needed no deep cleaning. Yeah, buyers beware.
I am very happy with my current general dentist, and orthodontist.

Lucky you. Dental is not covered by the provincial health agency in Canada.
Welcome back. Missed your posts.
very lucky ...and thank you orbiter...

Old 09-22-2022, 12:50 PM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Every 3 months I go to the Dentist to do cleaning which includes Periodontal Maintenance:

Gingival Irrigation - Per Quadrant. This is generally not necessary IMO. Research shows it provides no significant benefit to gingival health when combined with mechanical debridement.
Topical Application of Flouride Varnish. This has nothing to do with the gums. It is to prevent cavities and/or to alleviate sensitivity.
Application of Desensitizing. This may be redundant if you are already being charged for FL varnish. See above.
Perio Charting. This is not a treatment, but rather a diagnostic set of measurements like taking blood pressure. Hopefully your dentist does not charge you separately for this.

Is this a scam?
Dentist here. The opinions above are my own, and may not be 100 percent applicable to your situation as I have never examined you.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Dentist here. The opinions above are my own, and may not be 100 percent applicable to your situation as I have never examined you.
Should I change my dentist?

Old 06-11-2023, 12:04 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
I was told no deep cleaning needed if you dont have much visible stains or is a smoker.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:44 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
I was told no deep cleaning needed if you dont have much visible stains or is a smoker.
Told by ?

TBH, sounds like wishful thinking. I would ignore this person.

Deep cleaning has very little to nothing to do with stains on teeth. Stains can be pretty superficial and not affect the integrity of the tooth itself, let alone the gum. Deep cleaning focuses below the gumline which is out of sight. If you use tobacco products you are at higher risk of gum disease, tooth decay and/or loss than someone who doesn't. However, that certainly doesn't mean people who don't use tobacco can't get gum disease or lose teeth. They do! Heredity, diet, hygiene all play their roles in dental health.

Here are some basic primers discussing deep cleaning:

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/wh...d-root-planing
https://askthedentist.com/deep-cleaning-teeth/
https://www.healthline.com/health/deep-cleaning-teeth

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-11-2023 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 01:08 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
My friend was a dentist's secretary before retirement, she went to a periodontist (not her boss) for cleanings over the years and claimed the cleanings loosened her teeth and she eventually lost most of them and wears dentures now.

I read that too many cleanings cause the gum toxins to get into the body.

Another friend (92 yrs. old) went to the dentist yesterday because his gums have been bleeding. The dentist said he has a bad tooth from impacted food and wanted to pull it but my friend refused. My friend asked the dentist if he should continue to using mouthwash containing alcohol (thinking the alcohol might be irritating his gums), so the dentist said the alcohol mouthwash was good to use to prevent the tooth from getting infected but if it does, he's not responsible.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:42 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Is deep cleaning a scam ?
No.

Is it over-prescribed ?
Yes.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Let me ask you this, after a full dental eval., did you have bone loss at all?

Right, but if you read about peoples' experiences of LEGIT having to have it done, due to obvious periodontal disease, there may be no choice. It's either that or bone/tooth loss. Pick your poison.

A quick google search revealed this:

Measure the pocket depth of the groove between your gums and teeth by placing a dental probe beside your tooth beneath your gumline, usually at several sites throughout your mouth. In a healthy mouth, the pocket depth is usually between 1 and 3 millimeters (mm). Pockets deeper than 4 mm may indicate periodontitis. Pockets deeper than 5 mm cannot be cleaned well.
I had two dentists tell me I needed a deep cleaning without them ever putting a periodontal probe in my mouth. I got a third opinion and the dentist said I definitely did not need a deep cleaning. At least around here, it's the corporate clinics that hard sell dental services that you don't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health