Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 11:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 777,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had two dentists tell me I needed a deep cleaning without them ever putting a periodontal probe in my mouth. I got a third opinion and the dentist said I definitely did not need a deep cleaning. At least around here, it's the corporate clinics that hard sell dental services that you don't need.
Which clinics are corporate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 11:20 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Which clinics are corporate?
There are tons of them, the ones I see & hear about most frequently are:

Aspen Dental
Pacific Dental Services
Smile Brands.
Western Dental.
Dental Care Alliance
Great Expressions Dental Centers.
Affordable Dentures & Implants

Old 06-19-2023, 06:18 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Aspen is the most notorious of the bunch. I'd never trust my teeth to them. That said...
my spouse, who has full upper and lower snap-in dentures, had one "tooth" come loose and fall out of his lower denture. He went to Aspen, and for $60 they fixed it. They really couldn't scam him with anything, since any scams involve actual teeth, or a recommendation for dentures - which he already has.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:56 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Just to balance things out, I'm very happy with Aspen Dental, having previously gone to a local office that was strange, including insisting that I get work done before a hygiene appointment. Huh? I never could get that appointment.

Aspen Dental in my area has been great. I received extensive x-rays, a full hygiene evaluation and a full dental evaluation from the dentist. Everyone was pleasant and thorough. Because I hadn't been able to get a hygiene appt from my other office I knew that I needed a deep cleaning. Even though they only have 2 hygienists, I got in right away. Fancy that. That means my insurance does pay for hygiene work. (I'm assuming that the other office doesn't get paid well for their hygiene appointments and it makes me wonder why. Otherwise, why would they keep denying me an appointment?)

I need a bridge for work I had done 16 years ago, where a big gap was left and no dentist to this day has been willing to close the gap so that I don't get a huge piece of food in there. Now I need a bridge in that area. Wouldn't have needed it if the original work had been done correctly or if another dentist(s) had been willing to fix it. Fortunately, Aspen Dental is doing it for a very fair price, and timely too. Had the hygiene appointment 2 days ago and I'm very satisfied.

It's understand that not every office operates in the same efficient way, but I'm happy that mine does.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:59 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
It's a scam.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:54 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Some dentists may tell patients they need it when they don't; that's a scam.

I went to a dentist that offered free xrays. He said I needed deep cleaning on four teeth, at $450 each. He couldn't see anything wrong with the tooth that hurt.

So I tried a different dentist. She said I didn't need any deep cleaning, and found the problem with the sore tooth. She charged for xrays, though, but not $1800.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:08 AM

Just because some dentists are scammers doesn't mean they all are. Clearly some of these examples are indicative of greedy scammers trying to pull a fast one. My teeth needed deep cleaning recently. It was done for a total of $155 (my cost after ins). After my work is done (a root canal and a bridge on a tooth that was poorly done 16 years ago), my total will come to $900 after my insurance pays 80%. That's for a consult, the most extensive x-rays I've ever had done, a deep cleaning, a root canal and a bridge.

The reason I stated all that above is because I don't understand why more people don't purchase individual dental insurance. Mine started out at $34/mo. 7 years ago. It's gone up to $44/mo. after 7 years (increasing a few dollars a year). I am a senior on a low fixed income. Don't tell me $44/mo. is unaffordable. People fritter away $44/mo. all the time on frivolous b.s.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
I just recently read this thread because my 35 year old daughter was told she needed deep cleaning. She went in for a teeth cleaning and was told she needed a deep cleaning instead. They said she could go to lunch and have it done later in the day. She never saw a dentist. She told them she had two small children with a babysitter and would have have to schedule a different day. She was told that several of her teeth are 4s.

Neither her mother nor I have ever been told we needed a deep cleaning. We get a regular cleaning twice a year.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:57 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I just recently read this thread because my 35 year old daughter was told she needed deep cleaning. She went in for a teeth cleaning and was told she needed a deep cleaning instead. They said she could go to lunch and have it done later in the day. She never saw a dentist. She told them she had two small children with a babysitter and would have have to schedule a different day. She was told that several of her teeth are 4s.

Neither her mother nor I have ever been told we needed a deep cleaning. We get a regular cleaning twice a year.
Have her get the x-rays (they have to give them to her) and have her schedule a consult with a few other dentists to get their opinion. Try to avoid dentists that are part of a corporation like Western Dental, Aspen, or Modern they have office managers who are trained to add on expensive services that are rarely if ever needed, they can turn a $100 cleaning into $1500 of major work that wasn't needed and when you tell them you can't pay for it they will finance it for you

Old 07-27-2023, 03:36 PM

People usually only read the original post instead of reading a little further down.

I am having nothing but a good experience with Aspen Dental after going to a local dentist where I kept getting the runaround for over a year about getting a simple hygiene appointment.

Scheduling appts with more than one dentist is costly unless there is a reason to get a second or third opinion. Insurance likely wouldn't pay, and paying out of pocket for a consultation is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health