Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Deep cleaning a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Lately, I saw posts on my local community board regarding seeking out dentists that don't do DEEP cleanings, even if it's recommended to the patient. In fact, some are a bit put off by it and don't buy into it and find it rather scammy.

My husband & I have our regular dental cleanings & checkup every 6 months…but what is a DEEP cleaning? I never heard of that. It kind of does sound a little scammy because I don’t know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 11:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
My husband & I have our regular dental cleanings & checkup every 6 months…but what is a DEEP cleaning? I never heard of that. It kind of does sound a little scammy because I don’t know what it is.
It's scaling and root planing. When you have gingevitis, you have plaque buildup UNDER the gumline, where a toothbrush or routine dental instruments can't get to. This causes reddening of the gums, inflammation, bleeding (when you brush your teeth or even suck liquid through a straw), and can lead to bone loss and infection. So they numb up the gum and basically power-wash beneath the gumline, and then use a special dental instrument to pick and pry the bits of hardened plague. You're sore for the rest of the day, and you're usually fine the next day. They might do this only one one quad, or multiple or even all four quads. Depends on where the inflammation is.

A quad is the upper right, upper left, lower right, and lower left.

It's a very common procedure, most people need it at some point during their lives. Most people also do /not/ need it multiple times. But some people do, whether due to genetics or poor dental hygiene or even poor diet.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's scaling and root planing. When you have gingevitis, you have plaque buildup UNDER the gumline, where a toothbrush or routine dental instruments can't get to.

Ok…thank you. Gingivitis is caused by poor oral hygiene. Regular cleaning & checkups every 6 mos. AND regular brushing & flossing every day helps prevent it. So why does the O.P. think it’s a scam if they needed it?

Old 03-24-2022, 01:52 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
So why does the O.P. think it’s a scam if they needed it?
Could be several reasons including:

If some new procedure will cost them money, they think its a scam.
If someone tells them they should do something new, they think its a scam.
If they have convinced themselves what they already do is correct, anything different is a scam.
To some people, if a medical professional suggests it, its a scam.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-24-2022 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Ok…thank you. Gingivitis is caused by poor oral hygiene. Regular cleaning & checkups every 6 mos. AND regular brushing & flossing every day helps prevent it. So why does the O.P. think it’s a scam if they needed it?
Poor oral hygiene is certainly one cause, but it's not the only cause.

Facial injuries that traumatize the jaw or teeth can cause it.

Genetics contributes to it, so if you have "decent" oral hygiene but not "good" oral hygiene you might get gingivitis anyway. And even "good" oral hygiene might not be enough for someone who is genetically predisposed. You might need "stellar over the top" oral hygiene.

There are also people with poor oral hygiene who don't get gingivitis. They just lose their teeth - because of trauma to their face/mouth, genetic mutations and disease. No teeth = no gingivitis.

There are so many possible reasons why someone might get gingivitis. However, some dental offices will recommend it even if it's not necessary. Most dental procedures aren't medically necessary, so why not recommend one that'll bring in more money? Unscrupulous dental providers will do that.

But most dentists will only recommend it if you actually have enough bad enough pockets and signs of the beginning of bone loss and inflammation to warrant it.

Basically - if the dentist says that "if you have this done once, you'll need to get it done every 2 years" or similar - find a different dentist. If you have it done once, and do everything necessary to maintain the results, you shouldn't need to have it done again. It USUALLY means something you're doing is not enough, and you need to do more. Not always, but usually.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Poor oral hygiene is certainly one cause, but it's not the only cause.

It’s the most common cause….good oral hygiene is super important. It’s much easier IMO to go to the dentist every 6 months for a regular cleaning & checkup to prevent problems than have to worry about deep cleaning “scams”^^ or fixing problems later. It’s common sense to brush & floss at least twice a day.

Who would want to kiss somebody every day that doesn’t practice good oral hygiene?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
It’s the most common cause….good oral hygiene is super important. It’s much easier IMO to go to the dentist every 6 months for a regular cleaning & checkup to prevent problems than have to worry about deep cleaning “scams”^^ or fixing problems later. It’s common sense to brush & floss at least twice a day.

Who would want to kiss somebody every day that doesn’t practice good oral hygiene?
Yes good oral hygiene is important.

BACK ON TOPIC:

"Deep cleaning a scam?"

You asked what it is. I told you. It's also clear that prevention is not guaranteed. There are people who need deep cleaning even if they've taken good care of their teeth and gotten regular checkups. You didn't even know what deep cleaning WAS until I answered your query, so perhaps you should consider that maybe you don't know enough about the topic to assume that you know how to prevent it.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Yes good oral hygiene is important.

BACK ON TOPIC:

"Deep cleaning a scam?"

You asked what it is. I told you. It's also clear that prevention is not guaranteed. There are people who need deep cleaning even if they've taken good care of their teeth and gotten regular checkups. You didn't even know what deep cleaning WAS until I answered your query, so perhaps you should consider that maybe you don't know enough about the topic to assume that you know how to prevent it.
Thank you! I do get tired of those who think that everything health-related and appearance-related is due to the extra good care and attention they pay to themselves and everyone else is just a lazy slob. There are some things that are beyond our control, no matter the care that is taken. I'd think a health professional would be well aware of the impact of genetics and heredity (among other things).

Old 03-26-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
When you have gingevitis, you have plaque buildup UNDER the gumline, where a toothbrush or routine dental instruments can't get to.

Quote:

"Deep cleaning a scam?"

I never heard of a “deep cleaning”…I’ve always had regular cleanings & didn’t know the difference. So I did ask, thank you. But you mentioned gingivitis in your answer as why somebody would need deep cleaning. I know what gingivitis is…even related to heart disease because I’m a RN…so I looked it up to see if there was more information about “deep cleaning”. I was super curious to learn if “deep cleanings” were a “scam”. I couldn’t answer the thread question because I didn’t know what a deep cleaning was….BUT that’s super different than not knowing what gingivitis is.

The 1st thing it said is gingivitis is caused by poor oral hygiene & plaque buildup. Ofc that’s what I know to be true too.

Edit: just because it may rarely be caused by something else AND there are other risk factors like smoking or crooked teeth that are hard to clean is not important tho IMO. Because the thread subject was whether the procedure of a “deep” cleaning is a scam^^ or real….because the O.P. needed a deep cleaning or her friend did. It wasn’t talking about what caused her gingivitis.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-26-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 02:39 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thank you! I do get tired of those who think that everything health-related and appearance-related is due to the extra good care and attention they pay to themselves and everyone else is just a lazy slob. There are some things that are beyond our control, no matter the care that is taken. I'd think a health professional would be well aware of the impact of genetics and heredity (among other things).
This. For some reason it seems to pop up more often in conversations about dental hygiene. Heredity does play a role. Off the top of my head I can think of several friends who had the dental deck of cards stacked against them from the start. They always took exceptional care of their teeth but still faced lots of dental repair, deep cleanings, root canals, tooth loss, and eventually, dentures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health