Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 03:02 AM

1,500 posts, read 885,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The general anesthetic is usually Propofol and some Fentanyl. My oral surgeon starts with laughing gas to relax the patient, then starts the anesthesia through an IV. He has a monitor for BP and heart rate/rhythm. He told me that with a general, he can be done with 4 wisdom teeth in less than 30 minutes because he can turn your head and open your jaw in ways you wouldn't allow if you were awake. With local, it could take 2 or 3 times as long to do the procedure.
Sounds like a good way to do it

I have had real general anesthesia with endotracheal intubation. Usually revover in a day…the surgical part takes longer than the tube in the throat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 08:56 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
You only have four wisdom teeth, not six

Usually.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:31 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I’ve had nitrous oxide for fillings, oral sedation for root canals and a propofol mix for dental implants. Don’t know how serious your case is but I’ve never been told I need general anesthesia for any of my work.
Wisdom teeth removal is usually done by an oral surgeon, not a dentist, and they can use general or alternatives (I had a Valium drip).

Old 12-04-2023, 12:16 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
I had a local, however I didn't have all four done at once. I choose to have two at a time. Anyway, no problem, the sounds were the worst, lol. I've never heard such crunching and carrying on. I lived, you will to, just follow his orders and don't get a dry socket, I've heard those are horrible.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:27 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know what they gave you, but it wasn’t general anesthesia. If it was general anesthesia, they would’ve put a mask over your nose and mouth and had you count backwards from 100 and you would’ve fallen into a deep sleep around 90 or so.
It was conscious sedation. People who get it often think they are out because they don't remember anything. In the old days they used nitrous us plus Valium or pentathol. Now they may use ketamine or midozalam.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:32 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know what they gave you, but it wasn’t general anesthesia. If it was general anesthesia, they would’ve put a mask over your nose and mouth and had you count backwards from 100 and you would’ve fallen into a deep sleep around 90 or so.
I don't remember general that way. Just an IV in the arm, no mask, no tube. 30 years ago there was a mask.

I had general twice for my dislocated hip and once an epidural. On the major fix (4th procedure) to fix the dislocated hip, I begged for general but the surgeon said No, he didn't like to use it on seniors (I was 66). Too risky, he said. So, another epidural.

That was a miserable 4-hour surgery with the burning, yanking, sawing, pushing going on. I so wish I'd been under, which I have always enjoyed.

Why did your doctor advise against a general? You are younger, I think.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:39 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
I had all 4 removed with only novacaine. The extraction wasn't too bad, and they gave me a prescription for painkillers I took for a few days afterward Not a big deal, except for the yucky taste in your mouth until your gums heal.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:29 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Said all 4 of them need to be removed and explained the severity on a scale of 1-10 that mine is a 10.

I asked him is local anesthesia an option and he said absolutely not as it is required that I am sleep and that general anesthesia is the only option because of the severity of the situation and that I don't need to be awake for any of it.

He said he recommends a coronectomy on one of the teeth because if he pulls the tooth completely, there is a 15-20 percent chance of permanent loss in taste.

Has anyone here been required to do general anesthesia for wisdom teeth extraction.

He has very good reviews on google. Over 1000 5 stars.
Couldn't have paid me to do it with local.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
I've had all four of mine removed, though I don't think it was all at once. It was a few decades ago, but my recollection is that I had two separate appointments. (Though, maybe one of them was exploratory and the other was the actual procedure? I don't recall.) I had a general and I'm glad I did. It was administered via a shot to the arm, and I distinctly remember lying back in the chair, perfectly awake and conscious for about five seconds . . . and then the next thing I knew, it was all over and I didn't feel a thing. Amazing how well that shot worked!

Personally, I would strongly prefer a general. Let the oral surgeon do his work without me being awake and possibly fidgety. If the OP has concerns about a general, I would recommend that he discuss them with his dentist or with the oral surgeon directly.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:39 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't remember general that way. Just an IV in the arm, no mask, no tube. 30 years ago there was a mask.

I had general twice for my dislocated hip and once an epidural. On the major fix (4th procedure) to fix the dislocated hip, I begged for general but the surgeon said No, he didn't like to use it on seniors (I was 66). Too risky, he said. So, another epidural.

That was a miserable 4-hour surgery with the burning, yanking, sawing, pushing going on. I so wish I'd been under, which I have always enjoyed.

Why did your doctor advise against a general? You are younger, I think.

I didn't know they did general through IV, but it seems they do. I don't know why, it was many years ago and I was in my late 20's. I assume he knew of cases like the girl we had in the nursing home, and decided he didn't think it was worth the risk (it's risky for anyone regardless of age...the girl in the nursing home was 12 when it happened to her).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health